Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 09:56 PM

263 posts, read 438,177 times

Advertisements

I'm not intentionally looking for a house with a pool, but a couple houses that I'm interested in buying or renting do have an in-ground swimming pool, one also with a "spa" (in-ground hot tub).

I definitely love the water & can see myself using a pool often during the Summer to just lounge in (no kids that would use it), however I do have some dogs & the pool occupies a lot of THEIR yard space & could be a safety risk, so I'd be content with just using a pool at a neighborhood rec center.

The houses in-question are in Henderson.

What are some of the things I should consider in regards to a house with a pool?

I assume the pool is just heated by the sun, but have no clue how much my water & electricity bills would be affected by the pool operation (filter, water pump, etc), nor how much my homeowners or renters insurance policy would be raised by having the pool. The back yard is fenced, any rear gate(s) would be kept locked due to the dogs, and I assume that even if I rented the house, all routine operating costs & normal upkeep would be paid for by me.

I'm leaning to taking the houses with pools/hot tubs off my list & just planning on going to one of Henderson's numerous recreation centers, and/or a HOA-operated pool, but I want to make an educated decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 10:18 PM

687 posts, read 4,405,813 times
The pool may have a solar heater, if not, you can put a solar cover on for heat. As far as heating with a gas heater, forget it unless you want horendous gas bills.
Usually a rental house will include a pool service and if you have small children around, please dont rent a house with a pool, unless it has a fence around it with a locking gate.
Figure an extra 100 bucks a month for the power bill, unless the pool has a new style variable speed pump, might save a few dollars there.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:32 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,863,936 times
If the pool is uncovered, figure on around 1/4" of water loss per day due to evaporation during the hottest part of the year. On a 450 sq ft pool, that's about 70-80 gallons per day, or around 2000 to 2500 gallons per month.

For the pool pump, figure anywhere from $30 to $100 in electricity, depending on the type of pump (variable speed vs single-speed vs two-speed, with variable speed using the least electricity). If you have solar, or a pressure-side cleaner with booster pump, or water features you'll have to add those too.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:34 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,788,007 times
We, also, thought we wanted a pool. But we ended up renting in Henderson in a neighborhood that has 2 pools and a spa with keycard access for residents only. And, fortunately, it is 3 houses over from ours with a path that goes directly there. We used it just about every day during the season. It's meticulously maintained, and included in the HOA fees (which are included in our rent, obviously). That's the direction I will go when looking for a house to buy, as well. Although the thought of a pool in the backyard is nice, this is just as convenient for us. Plus, we have a half dozen friends within 5 miles who have pools (and thus pool parties), so we get to enjoy that as well.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:32 AM

421 posts, read 898,794 times
My pool pump only raises my electric bill by about 26.00 a month. $100.00 a month for a weekly pool service (and they provide the chemicals) and we have the enjoyment of our own pool without having to worry about little kids using it as a toilet. My homeowners insurance is actually less than it was in California and we didn't have a pool there.

All things considered, having your own pool is best. Denise

Old 04-16-2014, 11:01 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,674,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieMatic View Post
I'm not intentionally looking for a house with a pool, but a couple houses that I'm interested in buying or renting do have an in-ground swimming pool, one also with a "spa" (in-ground hot tub).

I definitely love the water & can see myself using a pool often during the Summer to just lounge in (no kids that would use it), however I do have some dogs & the pool occupies a lot of THEIR yard space & could be a safety risk, so I'd be content with just using a pool at a neighborhood rec center.

What are some of the things I should consider in regards to a house with a pool?

I assume the pool is just heated by the sun, but have no clue how much my water & electricity bills would be affected by the pool operation (filter, water pump, etc), nor how much my homeowners or renters insurance policy would be raised by having the pool. The back yard is fenced, any rear gate(s) would be kept locked due to the dogs, and I assume that even if I rented the house, all routine operating costs & normal upkeep would be paid for by me.

I'm leaning to taking the houses with pools/hot tubs off my list & just planning on going to one of Henderson's numerous recreation centers, and/or a HOA-operated pool, but I want to make an educated decision.
If your dogs are elderly the pool could pose a huge risk and would probably be besr fenced off.
If your dogs are younger and like water they may enjoy it more than they would if it wasn't there..you might have a difficult time keeping them out of it. ALL dogs should be shown where the steps are and be able to demonstrate an understanding of how to get out of the pool. The dogs must be strong swimmers or not allowed access unsupervised..
Also covered pools pose a risk if there is anyway for the pet to become trapped under the cover.

Dogs in the pool may also increase the work involved in maintaining it as well.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:13 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,680,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieMatic View Post

Pools are a pain in the ass to maintain and repair. Insurance rates go up. Just get a hottub (at least you can use in cooler months). Just go to the YCMA to use the pool.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:37 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,998,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post
Pools are a pain in the ass to maintain and repair. Insurance rates go up. Just get a hottub (at least you can use in cooler months). Just go to the YCMA to use the pool.
I have the Hollywood Aquatic Center less than 1/4 mile from my front door. But I don't want to swim in other people's urine. I'm just weird that way, I guess.

I'd LOVE to have a lap pool. But I'm not going to win that argument with my wife. Insurance, pump costs, danger of some moron jumping the fence drunk and drowning....

Old 07-29-2014, 11:41 PM

323 posts, read 428,861 times
drownings?

Old 07-30-2014, 12:47 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,998,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhboy View Post
drownings?
Yeah. Drownings. Plural. Happened to a coworker and a neighbor -- both had pools and both came home to an awful surprise. Like I said, I'm not going to win this argument, as much as I'd really love a lap pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: