Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 10:13 PM

263 posts, read 438,306 times

Advertisements

Planning on moving to the Las Vegas area soon, focussing specifically on Henderson, and see that most of the housing communities are governed by either HOAs or CC&Rs. I assume they all have restrictions against anything but off the air TV or satellite TVRO dishes being mounted on the houses.

I'm not looking to put up a tower with a 40-meter beam or VHF stacked array, but would sure like to at least put a 6' tall, Diamond X-50 VHF/UHF vertical up on the roof (doing the best I can to make it not be easily visible).

So I'm wondering in general, what the success rate is in getting an HOA or CC&R authority to allow such things in Henderson?

I do have 25+ years being an ARES/RACES/Skywarn member, ARRL Emergency Station, etc. & would join those local groups plus my local CERT once I moved. I'd like to think I could present a good argument for getting permission to put up a relatively small, vertical antenna (or two...?) but I'd love to learn the experiences of others who've already done or at least tried it.

If I can't put an X-50 up on the roof, I may instead put a 17' tall Diamond X-510 up in my back yard or something.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 10:54 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,320,826 times
I know of no HOA's that would allow that. An antenna like that is not attractive. I suggest as you begin working with a realtor and explain this, they will immediately begin looking in non-HOA areas.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:19 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Ask forgiveness instead of permission.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
I know of no HOA's that would allow that. An antenna like that is not attractive. I suggest as you begin working with a realtor and explain this, they will immediately begin looking in non-HOA areas.
So if I offered to put a replica of the Venus de Milo up, it'd automatically be allowed because it would be "attractive?"

Do you know what a Diamond X-50 antenna looks like? Do you know how "unattractive" it would be from the street, if placed 50' back from & approximately 30' above the street, on the center of a 2-story house?

I'm hammering you because your sole argument is about the antenna not being attractive, but I'm not confident you're familiar with the size & looks of the antenna in-question, nor are considering the comment I made about taking action to minimize it's visibility via careful location as well as painting it, nor are considering a potentially mitigating factor of my communications capability using said-antenna benefitting the community in an emergency.

But absolutely, I am asking my realtor to find some nice houses in non-HOA/CC&R area too.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Ask forgiveness instead of permission.
Oh yeah, sometimes I'm a practitioner of that philosophy, but in my old age, I usually make a good effort at the legal route first!

Still hoping to hear from those with first-hand experience here, but another route I'll take is seeing if the ARRL Nevada Section Manager can put me in touch with someone. If I were local, I'd get on some club nets & ask.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:39 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,368,438 times
a. Don't buy a house in a community with an HOA and then nobody can tell you what to do with it. I don't know why everyone thinks all communities here have HOAs.

and, 2. Since that would fall under FCC rules and regs, I'm not sure anyone could tell you you can't. Especially given that you are with the ARRl, and you're taking pains to not make it obtrusive.

I'm on the ARC Committee in our HOA, but the only thing that has come up is for sat dishes. We allow unobtrusive small ones. They wanted one guy to take down his flag but state and federal law says he can fly the flag as long as it's not one of those gas huge station size ones.

You might find the answer here. I haven't looked. Nevada Real Estate Division

Old 04-16-2014, 01:38 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,554,759 times
The answer is that most HOAs are going to have a problem with what you are suggesting. There are houses that are in non HOA communities, so that's your best bet.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:49 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,811,791 times
I am an Amateur Extra and have an antenna. I have a crankup that can get to about 60 feet with a 20 meter beam. Down at the moment for replacement but one of these years. I set mine up so I could drop it to the tree line. Does not show unless cranked up.

You simply need to stay out of HOA communities. I know of none that cooperate. Lots of people get some form of stealth antenna but anything obvious gets picked up. You immediately get blamed for whatever reception problem anyone for blocks have.

There are older neighborhoods, a few neighborhoods in the county and NLV and the 1/2 acres.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:46 AM

200 posts, read 271,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
An antenna like that is not attractive.
Maybe to you it is not attractive. To some of us, something functional and useful is way more attractive than something that is "pretty". House antenna is more attractive than a rose garden, IMHO.

YMMV of course. But HOAs don't allow for varying mileage. One size fits all...

Old 04-16-2014, 05:54 AM

200 posts, read 271,336 times
Default when I'm president of the HOA

When I'm president of the HOA, no one gets to complain about lowering of home values unless they have a for sale sign in front of their house. Well, they can complain but it will be ignored.

If they have a for sale sign in front of their house, then the HOA will work with them to try to alleviate any reasonable problems. And if you read some of the threads here, you might come to the conclusion that a lenient HOA would be a great selling point and actually increase the value of the house.

Last edited by jtjtjtjt; 04-16-2014 at 06:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas