Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 08:49 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times

Advertisements

I am interested in working in customer service and living in Summerlin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 09:01 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,537,916 times
you live in summerlin and you want to know how the job market is here in vegas?

it's bad, but somewhat getting better but still has a long way to go.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:05 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
you live in summerlin and you want to know how the job market is here in vegas?

it's bad, but somewhat getting better but still has a long way to go.
I think the OP is INTERESTED IN living in Summerlin AND in working in customer service.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:22 AM

That is correct. I do not live in Vegas. I like Summerlin and rent in one development is nice and cheap. I enjoyed my visit there but the job market has been bad for a while. During the hot market, apartments were renting for $1100. Now it is going for $700. They have a special in the $600s but I need to work. Jobs on Indeed.com look promising but Phoenix's job market is better.

Last edited by goodlife36; 04-25-2014 at 09:46 AM..

Old 04-25-2014, 09:27 AM

555 posts, read 1,259,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post

I would go to Phoenix if jobs are better there as you stated in your other post.

We have one of the highest unemployment rates in the country. Jobs are out there, but so many people complain the pay is too low or jobs are limited to part time shifts only.

It was on the news the other evening that the new hotel, the SLS {formerly the Sahara} had 2700 job openings and over 15,000 applications were received. That tells you something.

Jobs are out there, I'm not saying you will never be able to find a job here in Las Vegas. But finding a good job that pays well and affords you to live in Summerlin, that might be harder to find. Not impossible, but you might have to take what you can get for now and work up from there.

Be patient and very persistent, start small and humble, do the best you can and you'll achieve your goal!

Good luck and blessings

Old 04-25-2014, 11:18 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Pah!

I have to be the lone person DEFENDING Las Vegas? I should receive a special C-D award or something.

There is PLENTY of work available in Las Vegas at the resorts. There are jobs-a-plenty. Go to the various career websites and have a look at the pages and pages of jobs available.

The problem is, only a HANDFUL of those jobs are available to members of the general public. The rest of those jobs are going to go to people who already work at the resort. These "in-house only" jobs are posted on the careers website because the government insists.

SLS has already hired most of their management team, who are busy hand-picking people they like for the various high-paying valet, bartender, and dealer positions. The glut of applications comes from people who don't know how a career at a resort works. Even when a new property opens, someone with no experience just in from the East Coast isn't going to get that six-figure bartending job. There's no substitute for working one's way into the "dream position" at the resort.

EDIT -- I should probably actually answer OP's question. OP -- apply for exactly ONE hotel desk clerk position with each of the big resort chains -- MGM, Caesar's, Wynn and Sands group. Once you're hired, you can start angling for the position that you're looking for. Simply ask the director who hires you how to get into whatever it is you want to do. They'll be HAPPY to tell you. My first day on the job, I told the person who hired me what I wanted to do. He gave me a verbal road map. "After three months, do this. And then after six months, do that." I followed his instructions and got the job I was looking for.

Last edited by ScoopLV; 04-25-2014 at 11:30 AM..

Old 04-25-2014, 11:26 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,888,213 times
Is it ever really hard to get a job in customer service? I suppose a lot of people apply, but half of them are probably quickly disqualified with all the drug testing and background red flags which can turn up.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:36 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Is it ever really hard to get a job in customer service? I suppose a lot of people apply, but half of them are probably quickly disqualified with all the drug testing and background red flags which can turn up.
Which includes a credit check. People with bad credit aren't going to be hired. I can't really fault the resort. With so many people applying for the same job, the resorts can afford to reject everyone with poor credit. (People with poor credit often make really bad decisions. Sometimes it's just hard luck. Either way, that's not the sort of person a resort wants to hire.)

Old 04-25-2014, 12:05 PM

128 posts, read 139,092 times
In a nutshell working in Las vegas sucks, employers take advantage of you, as far as jobs, you cam spend $100 and get a guard card assuming you have a clean record, you can survive as a security guard. The Las vegas economy basically sucks and getting a job is hard. I'm so glad I got out of Las vegas never to return.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: