Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 07:40 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I don't think it was a bad idea to put laminate where he did (honestly, he only bought the place 2 months before we moved in, so I'm sure it wasn't him anyway).
The first thing I do when I buy a place is rip out all the flooring (and then paint the interior) and replace the flooring with porcelain. I use dark-colored grout because that's the color it's going to be over time anyway. (My house has epoxy grout because I'm not interested in scrubbing grout. But I'm also not interested in paying more than $1/sqft for grout in a rental property.)

Porcelain -- Impervious to water and dog damage.
Laminate -- Look at it sideways and it scratches. Wet it and it bulges.

This falls squarely into the "landlord should have known better" department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 10:22 AM

1,245 posts, read 1,828,943 times
Raiderman, I would wait awhile and see how the floor is after it dries out and people have walked on it for a few weeks. 7 or 8 planks is not very much and you might be able to find matching laminate. The biggest problem as I see it is finding out who manufactured the laminate. Even if you can't find the exact match you may be able to get every close.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:25 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I believe you can replace the individual planks in Pergo at least if you can get the same stuff. They are not generally tied down just tongue and grooved to the adjacent board.

Here is a discussion of the subject...

How to Repair water damage to pergo - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

Yep.

When we had Pergo installed in a kitchen, we just bought an extra box, stored flat, for exactly that reason. Cost a bit more, but great piece of mind. When we sold the house, we left the box there and told the new owners who were happy to have it.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
Even if you can't find the exact match you may be able to get every close.
It will have to be made by the same manufacturer, otherwise the pieces won't fit. (It would be nice if there was a universal joint for laminate floors, but there isn't.) And even if it's the same manufacturer, they often change their tongue/groove system just to keep people from being able to make repairs.

If there isn't a box of leftover material, I'd say the chances are slim for finding a match.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:00 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
It will have to be made by the same manufacturer, otherwise the pieces won't fit. (It would be nice if there was a universal joint for laminate floors, but there isn't.) And even if it's the same manufacturer, they often change their tongue/groove system just to keep people from being able to make repairs.

If there isn't a box of leftover material, I'd say the chances are slim for finding a match.
Right. That is why at the time of installation we purchased one box more than we needed. Same stuff, same lot number, etc. We planned ahead.

We had that laminate for quite some time in the kitchen with no issue from pet claws, water, etc. I loved that floor.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:02 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times
I'm going to give it a little bit of time and then shoot an email to the property manager and see what their thoughts are. Our landlord is awesome, so we'll see. Worst case scenario we're out $500 deductible for renter's insurance.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:24 PM

176 posts, read 264,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
The first thing I do when I buy a place is rip out all the flooring (and then paint the interior) and replace the flooring with porcelain. I use dark-colored grout because that's the color it's going to be over time anyway. (My house has epoxy grout because I'm not interested in scrubbing grout. But I'm also not interested in paying more than $1/sqft for grout in a rental property.)
After installing polished rectified porcelain in my house, I don't think I would ever want to install anything else. I would install this over natural stone. Everyone that's entered my home have assumed that it is natural stone. You can find all sorts of porcelain tiles today that resemble natural stone while having all the benefits that is porcelain. They're practically indestructible, waterproof, stainproof, scratch resistant. No need to seal. And they look amazing.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:40 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyToasty View Post
After installing polished rectified porcelain in my house, I don't think I would ever want to install anything else. I would install this over natural stone. Everyone that's entered my home have assumed that it is natural stone. You can find all sorts of porcelain tiles today that resemble natural stone while having all the benefits that is porcelain. They're practically indestructible, waterproof, stainproof, scratch resistant. No need to seal. And they look amazing.
We agonized over that a good bit but went with the natural limestone. I would think for a high polish finish that porcelain may well prevail. But for matte finish variegated limestone it does not do it. The limestone is more expensive to maintain though with a $500 cleaning every four or five years. And you have to clean and seal it or will degrage pretty badly.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyToasty View Post
After installing polished rectified porcelain in my house, I don't think I would ever want to install anything else.
And now it's rotoprinted, too. The problem when we bought our floor is that all the porcelain tiles were identical to each other. It just screamed "manufactured." (And since there are only four possible positions to lay a square tile, a visible pattern is certain.)

Now the stuff is indistinguishable from real stone, so I'd install that in a heartbeat. No worrying about spilling lemon juice or vinegar (or any other acid, for that matter.)

Old 05-15-2014, 11:06 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Right. That is why at the time of installation we purchased one box more than we needed. Same stuff, same lot number, etc. We planned ahead.

We had that laminate for quite some time in the kitchen with no issue from pet claws, water, etc. I loved that floor.
I have an extra box of wood planks (hardwood), a box of extra ceramic tiles (bathrooms and kitchen) and an extra box of saltillo (back patio) for the new owners when my place sells. I'm also leaving the paint cans with the formula / color in the garage so they can go to Home Depot and get more if they want to.

The hardwood is beautiful, but the dogs and the kids were really hard on it. The climate didn't seem to be a factor. At least it can be sanded down and refinished if so desired.

A friend of mine got some really cool tile. It looks like very dark hardwood and the grout (not that there is much of it) is dark too, so at first glance it really looks like a wood floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas