Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 02:34 PM

112 posts, read 148,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
It sounds like you might live in a new development near the mountains or foothills. If the snake in question is a coral snake it is highly venomous. In fact I believe more so than a rattlesnake. But you probably wouldn't run into coral snakes around here, except maybe in the Valley of Fire. There are plenty in Arizona though. It's probably a harmless king snake. They have similar coloring, but there is a way to tell them apart. Here's the rule: Look at the stripes - red and black friend of Jack; red and yellow, kill a fellow.

Coral snake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
We're actually in an older development up on Sunrise or Frenchman's Mountain (depending on who you ask). And it doesn't have the yellow bands so I'm pretty sure they're not Coral Snakes, thank goodness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Since snakes are predators, you'd only have an infestation of them if there was enough of their food supply to support them -- in thei case, rodents.

All animals are drawn to water. And our area of Las Vegas is definitely more "wild" than most other areas. We've seen fox, owls, rabbits and we've been affected by coyotes (although we've never actually seen them). I'd much rather have snakes than rats. Just like I'd rather have spiders than roaches and crickets.
If it's a ground snake, everything I've read says they eat bugs. Scorpions, crickets, centipedes, etc. So I guess if we want to keep the snakes away our best bet is to keep the bug population down.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:51 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,576,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyCCM View Post
If it's a ground snake, everything I've read says they eat bugs. Scorpions, crickets, centipedes, etc. So I guess if we want to keep the snakes away our best bet is to keep the bug population down.
And of course the best way to keep the bug population down is...

Old 05-17-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
And of course the best way to keep the bug population down is...
Napalm? Agent orange? Lol

Old 05-17-2014, 05:54 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,576,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyCCM View Post
Napalm? Agent orange? Lol
I was going to say more snakes...

Old 05-17-2014, 05:57 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
You mentioned a vacant field below you that's probably where they are coming from.
There are sites on line for identifying every thing you've got a computer look it up.
If you take urine and pour it along the fence line ,it will detour them from your place .
Obviously rain will wash it away so you must do your part.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:29 PM

550 posts, read 637,840 times
Snake Away is a product we've used at our home successfully. Smells like moth balls on steroids. However, it did the trick of repelling snakes one summer, a few years ago, after we had multiple sightings on our property.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:17 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
I truly wish there was a way to encourage snakes and spiders to take up residence at my place. Snakes and spiders equals less pests. I do not consider snakes and spiders to be pests. We're on the same team -- the anti-rodent, cockroach and cricket team. And I am even quite OK with poisonous snakes and the more dangerous spiders. These creatures keep to themselves and are only a danger to roaming animals and people who disturb habitats unprotected. (Don't clear brush or move logs/rocks or clear debris without thick gloves, for instance.)

We've had poisonous spiders around our perimeter that were so large that we gave them names. I've only seen a poisonous coral snake once, and that was in Florida. The snake slithered between my feet while I was barbecuing in Florida. We took a picture of it and emailed it to the cooperative extension. They were OVERJOYED that a coral snake had been positively identified (and not killed).

Since Tracey has dogs, she's going to be more concerned than I am about poisonous animals. I get that. I like the ramp idea to give critters a way out of the pool. In addition, I'd suggest that while critters NEED water, they WANT seclusion. A small fountain, in a quiet, secluded and shady corner (with easy access for critters that slither) might keep the snakes away from the pool. They want a drink. Give them one that isn't chlorinated and they may just stay away from the pool.

PS -- POISONOUS snakes.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:06 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I truly wish there was a way to encourage snakes and spiders to take up residence at my place. Snakes and spiders equals less pests. I do not consider snakes and spiders to be pests. We're on the same team -- the anti-rodent, cockroach and cricket team. And I am even quite OK with poisonous snakes and the more dangerous spiders. These creatures keep to themselves and are only a danger to roaming animals and people who disturb habitats unprotected. (Don't clear brush or move logs/rocks or clear debris without thick gloves, for instance.)

We've had poisonous spiders around our perimeter that were so large that we gave them names. I've only seen a poisonous coral snake once, and that was in Florida. The snake slithered between my feet while I was barbecuing in Florida. We took a picture of it and emailed it to the cooperative extension. They were OVERJOYED that a coral snake had been positively identified (and not killed).

Since Tracey has dogs, she's going to be more concerned than I am about poisonous animals. I get that. I like the ramp idea to give critters a way out of the pool. In addition, I'd suggest that while critters NEED water, they WANT seclusion. A small fountain, in a quiet, secluded and shady corner (with easy access for critters that slither) might keep the snakes away from the pool. They want a drink. Give them one that isn't chlorinated and they may just stay away from the pool.

PS -- POISONOUS snakes.
The fountains may work. We have three in the backyard, but so far all they have drawn is birds.

PS. There was an article about coyotes coming further into the burbs in the RJ today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: