Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 10:35 AM

15,868 posts, read 14,506,290 times

Advertisements

And this is why you want your third party inspector (I like LVOCs idea of using a real engineer) involved BEFORE the contract is signed. Make sure the contract stipulates that you have a direct right to do what was listed, in addition to having the engineer review the specifications, and modify as necessary.

If the builder doesn't want to play ball, find another builder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I have not been impressed with home inspector's inspections. They are only one step up from drive-by inspection.

With a tract home built by KB, you will have limited ability to inspect the jobsite. If you are there too much, they may ban you from the jobsite (ask me how I know).

<sniping list>

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 02:55 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,591,931 times
Check out Cesare Inc. Las Vegas they have a website. I am adding a bedroom in Henderson and I am required by the City to hire my own outside inspector ($600) to inspect the Hardyboard and some kind of resin where two walls meet. I hired these guys apparently they do a lot of that stuff but they are not cheap.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:25 PM

78 posts, read 312,132 times
Default Thanks and update

Thanks to all of you for chiming in. Really appreciate the input.

I called CM Engineering and yes they do what they call "progress inspections" on a new construction
home. The price is around $4000 though.

I called Cesare inc and they specialize in mostly commercial constructions. They did give me a pointer
to "Black mountain geotech". I am waiting to hear back on their price.

As for KB homes allowing inspections, I asked the sales person earlier and she said it should not be an
issue - but then she is in "sales". I will confirm again.

Lastly, I do plan to visit the house site regularly and keep a keen eye but a professional review/inspection
would be more valuable imo.

BTW, the Cesare folks told me that KB used to do third party inspections as part of their quality control.
Need to check on that with them tomorrow.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:35 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,818,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanb View Post
Thanks to all of you for chiming in. Really appreciate the input.

I called CM Engineering and yes they do what they call "progress inspections" on a new construction
home. The price is around $4000 though.

I called Cesare inc and they specialize in mostly commercial constructions. They did give me a pointer
to "Black mountain geotech". I am waiting to hear back on their price.

As for KB homes allowing inspections, I asked the sales person earlier and she said it should not be an
issue - but then she is in "sales". I will confirm again.

Lastly, I do plan to visit the house site regularly and keep a keen eye but a professional review/inspection
would be more valuable imo.

BTW, I the Cesare folks told me that KB used to do third party inspections as part of their quality control.
Need to check on that with them tomorrow.
Call CME back and ask what they will do for $2000 or $2500. I bet they work something out with you.

Whether they do or not get your camera out. Try and get all the layout with the plumbing in place but before the slab is poured. Being able to locate things a few years out can be great. Thry and shoot all the framing with plumbing and electrical but before wall board. Try and get pictures that show how the ducting is routed.
Pictures are cheap...overshoot.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:24 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,591,931 times
As a side note consider upgrading things like toilets, tubs and appliances now. Perhaps you have already thought of this, but really you only get one shot at it. I have seen a multitude of cheap "garden tubs" placed into new construction at many diffferent price points. They must come from a local supplier because I see a lot of them. These tubs look good when you walk into the bathroom but are not comfortable for even a little kid to sit in.

Check out Lasko, Kohler and the like. The Lasko Ascott II is a good one way better than the garden tub. Consider a soaking tub instead of a jetted one, a lot less problems. Also as far as the toilets pay the upgrade and get the Toto's they are the best and try to get a 1.6 GPH, they are still out there just bought 3 of them in town from Ideal supply. I have seen some really crummy toilets in decent priced new homes because it's just not something you think of at the time.

And lastly, make sure you upgrade the appliances from the standard Builder GE stuff. Be sure to upgrade the gas stove to a Convection oven and consider a Samsung Refrigerator. Most of the time they will give you credit for the builder basic stuff and now is the time to get what you want even if it sends you over budget. Be sure to get exact model numbers too as they might substitute items if what you should be getting is out of stock when they install them. Make sure you get a good brand of R/O and water softener too and spec exact Brands and types/models.

Also don't scrimp on the carpet padding and/or carpet if you have any too.

Of course little perks like self closing cabinets hinges are a great plus.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by Packrat1; 05-20-2014 at 11:44 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 05-21-2014, 06:55 AM

555 posts, read 776,352 times
Put CAT5 cable and Coaxial cable through the walls prior to the drywalls going up (pretty sure that's an upgrade you can buy).

Old 05-28-2014, 11:18 PM

Default Update

I checked with KB Homes and they are doing a couple of third party inspections by
1) Geo tek (foundation work)
2) Quality built (framing and others)

I asked for a copy of their reports and was told "no".

I am still waiting to hear back from black mountain on the pricing.

As for upgrades, we did not upgrade the tubs (no option) but were told they would be kohler or american standard. We are upgrading to whirlpool appliances, carpet padding, carpets, tiles and doing the full house cat5/cable package. Total upgrades cost about 10% of the base price.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:07 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,007,440 times
Quote:
As for upgrades, we did not upgrade the tubs (no option) but were told they would be kohler or american standard. We are upgrading to whirlpool appliances, carpet padding, carpets, tiles and doing the full house cat5/cable package. Total upgrades cost about 10% of the base price.

I would have gone bare bones (and bare FLOOR if possible, but most banks won't lend on a bare floor), and either tackled all that myself or hired people to do it to my specs. (Except for the cat5.)

For instance, with your tile, do you have any say over the width of the grout line? I hate cleaning grout. So thick grout lines drive me nuts. Large porcelain tile in order to make your rooms look bigger? Laid on the diagonal to make rooms look bigger still?

Do you get to pick the models and features of your appliances? Or are they contractor specials?

KB just wants to knock the house out as soon as they can.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:34 PM

They did have a few tile and carpet options but they became pretty pricey very soon. We chose some 17X17 tiles and grout lines will probably be 3/8th I believe (no choice there). Diagonal laying was an option but cost about $800 so we declined. I am hoping to seal with miracle sealant before moving in.
We chose 1/2 inch padding for carpet and upgraded to a slightly higher level than basic.

We did consider getting the bare minimum flooring but in the end, ripping and replacing would have just
saved us $500 or $1000. Did not seem worth it to delay moving in and deal with more dust/contractors.

As for appliances, they actually offered standard whirlpool models and surprisingly were not overpriced.
We are getting the refrigerator and washer/dryer on our own.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:41 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,007,440 times
Quote:
They did have a few tile and carpet options but they became pretty pricey very soon. We chose some 17X17 tiles and grout lines will probably be 3/8th I believe (no choice there). Diagonal laying was an option but cost about $800 so we declined. I am hoping to seal with miracle sealant before moving in.
We chose 1/2 inch padding for carpet and upgraded to a slightly higher level than basic.

We did consider getting the bare minimum flooring but in the end, ripping and replacing would have just
saved us $500 or $1000. Did not seem worth it to delay moving in and deal with more dust/contractors.

As for appliances, they actually offered standard whirlpool models and surprisingly were not overpriced.
We are getting the refrigerator and washer/dryer on our own.

17" tiles are better than the 12" tiles most tract houses use. 3/8" is way, way too wide in my opinion. I hope the grout is dark -- because that's the color it's going to end up after a few years (even with regular sealing, which I would plan on doing every six months or so).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: