Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 03:21 PM

113 posts, read 358,182 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am moving soon and would prefer not to hang on to my house as it is doubtful I will live full time in Vegas again. Bought in 2009, good price, single story 3 car garage with pool in Henderson outside of anthem area. Met with a realtor who thinks she could sell it for a decent price based on comps. Didn't sign any paperwork committing to her. She'll be getting a $20k commission though if she sells it.

My question is, how hard is it to sell your own house? I've seen those companies where you can pay a flat fee for a lockbox and MLS listing. I'd be willing to offer a flat fee for a buyers agent. I had one friend who works for a title co say he sees a lot of cash sales with no agent involved.

What do you all think. I know there are some real estate gurus on this site.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 03:34 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,162,924 times
20K commission?

I think I need to get in on this real estate thing.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:49 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,590,900 times
Try more like 6% split with listing and selling agent. I have heard of one Henderson Realtor who charges 7%. Beware of Realtors who "appraise" your home at a very appealing price then lock you into a contract then lowers the price of the home significantly when it won't sell for the inflated price they first told you it was worth. On the other hand consider finding a buyer yourself via word of mouth, friends, neighbors, etc., then have a Realtor write up a contract and have split 1% between the two of you. Just did that on two houses. Requires flexibility by all parties.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:37 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,001,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deefromlv View Post
What do you all think.
These are my favorite kind of sales. Easy on everyone. Anthem isn't my area, otherwise I'd DM you and buy it. If you can find the right kind of buyer, you can make this work. But it's up to you to find the buyer -- that's what you're getting for your $20K in commissions. Price the house properly, and it will sell itself. The trick is knowing how to price the house properly. You don't want it to languish on the MLS. And you don't want to leave too much money on the table.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:29 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,320,826 times
First question, do you know how to properly comp your house yourself? Do you know how to advertise, show, negotiate and take your house to closing? And the suggestion of paying a realtor 1%, floored me. I cannot imagine a competent person wanting to be involved in something like that. On the other hand, you will need an attorney to take the house to closing. That is something that would be provided in the commission from the realtor which, if you are not using one, you will have to pay yourself. He/she then can help you with the sale offer, look out for your interests and prepare the deed. I'm sure the cost would be less than 1%.

Also keep in mind, when a buyer is looking at a FSBO (for sale by owner house) they always automatically deduct the real estate commission you will not be paying from the amount they plan to offer to you. I myself would never pay more than a 5% commission; 2.5 to the selling agent and 2.5 for the co-broke.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:26 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,811,791 times
If you are really talking above $500K get an agent. No action up there FSBO. FSBO has dropped substantially over the last years down to about 9% from 13%.

I don't think it ever worked very well up in the higher price range. Most FSBO here is below 200K.

Note that you pay 3% to the buyers agent or it becomes practically impossible to sell an expensive home. Even going to 2.5% will cut the showings in half. I personally ignore those sorts of commission reductions though I will have a discussion with my buyer if I find something that sounds interesting at 2% or below. It is possible to get a reasonable agent for 2.5% on the seller side. Note though some of the really good people won't touch it particularly at that high a price. While the public may believe the costs of selling expensive houses are the same as cheap ones the agents know it is not true. It is much harder and takes a lot longer to move a home above $500K than one at $150K. Likely 10x as long.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:31 PM

402 posts, read 746,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deefromlv View Post
Hi all,

I am moving soon and would prefer not to hang on to my house as it is doubtful I will live full time in Vegas again. Bought in 2009, good price, single story 3 car garage with pool in Henderson outside of anthem area. Met with a realtor who thinks she could sell it for a decent price based on comps. Didn't sign any paperwork committing to her. She'll be getting a $20k commission though if she sells it.

My question is, how hard is it to sell your own house? I've seen those companies where you can pay a flat fee for a lockbox and MLS listing. I'd be willing to offer a flat fee for a buyers agent. I had one friend who works for a title co say he sees a lot of cash sales with no agent involved.

What do you all think. I know there are some real estate gurus on this site.

Thanks
Can you give approximate cross streets? I am in the market and want to know how deep into Anthem this place is. I really like the places out there but I also like being closer to civilization.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:36 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,849,231 times
There are people who do for sale by owner. Im not sure how they do it exactly and make it sell.

We are buying our house from a family member.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:43 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,811,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
There are people who do for sale by owner. Im not sure how they do it exactly and make it sell.

We are buying our house from a family member.
Family deals are the best around. But note they have some significant down side. Like the pricing. There can be an amazing amount of long term trouble if that is not all done just right.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:52 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,849,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Family deals are the best around. But note they have some significant down side. Like the pricing. There can be an amazing amount of long term trouble if that is not all done just right.
Pricing so far seems fine on my specific case but we have a lawyer handling it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: