Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 04:36 AM

2 posts, read 2,543 times

Advertisements

hi

i am looking for local Las Vegas moving company
from Las Vegas to Houston Texas.
i like to be sure that im in good hands - its Our 1' big move ( and hope the last).

we have 4 kids and a dog and 2 cars.
I'd love to get some recommendations...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 07:42 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,686,362 times
Will you be driving? Its a pretty drive but once you enter the foothills of Texas it seems endless until you hit San Antonio. I DO NOT rec American Auto Shippers (overall horrid experience with them) but I've used DAS twice and both times they exceeded my expectations.

Not sure about moving companies...I just used a POD, convienent but expensive unless you NEED short term storage for some reason its not the most cost effective route to take.

Prepare for beautiful mornings and evenings, miserable daytime temps and buy lots of bug spray. Start you dog on heartworm meds and flea control...I rec Advantage Multi as it takes care of both so is less expensive than buying two seprate quality products.
Frontline doesn't seem to work very well on the mosquitos here so I suggest not bothering with that product.

I lived in 77345 (back of Kingwood) in one of the most beautiful neighborhoods imaginable. Nice, but I missed the desert weather and outdoor recreation of Southern Nevada and I missed living in a 24 hour town. Good luck to you in Houston, things are hustling down there. Don't let the superficially nice people fool you Houston is a city of a few honest folks and a ton of scammers. Always check your reciepts for double billing...always!

Old 06-30-2014, 07:00 AM

2 posts, read 2,543 times
hi SoHoVe -
Thanks for your response. I had a problem to sign up back to the site and with all the changes with the move i just did not handle it. Anyway here I am again.

We decided to fly and not to drive all the way to Texas. we will take a Transport company for the cars.
Meanwhile I went and read testimonials and customer reviews regarding moving companies, in addition we have received a number of Quotes. still undecided with which movers ill mack the move. I found a lot of bad receives for each company, I feel that people like to especially respond when something bad happens to them.
You mentioned POD - the only pod i know is a restaurant....funny

Old 06-30-2014, 07:11 AM

420 posts, read 899,539 times
I used U-Pak when I moved. They bring a 28 foot trailer to your house, you put all of your stuff in it (or hire day labor and supervise) You have 3 days to fill it up, they come to your house, verify how many feet you used, hook up the trailer and then they drive it to your new house where you reverse the whole process. You also have 3 days to unpack the trailer. We found this very convenient and cost effective when we moved here. They will send you a video showing you how to pack the trailer to prevent any breakage. Good luck in your move. You might go on the Houston site and find out where to get day labor.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:16 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,798,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollieW View Post
I used U-Pak when I moved. They bring a 28 foot trailer to your house, you put all of your stuff in it (or hire day labor and supervise) You have 3 days to fill it up, they come to your house, verify how many feet you used, hook up the trailer and then they drive it to your new house where you reverse the whole process. You also have 3 days to unpack the trailer. We found this very convenient and cost effective when we moved here. They will send you a video showing you how to pack the trailer to prevent any breakage. Good luck in your move. You might go on the Houston site and find out where to get day labor.
We did exactly the same thing. ABF U-Pack. It's not a full-service moving company, more of a shipping company, but, as long as you can pack and load the truck, they take care of the rest.

Regarding car carriers, I've always used CHIPS transport. They are based in MA, but will broker nationally.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:21 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,686,362 times
T
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollieW View Post
Is the trailer at ground level (basically) like PODs are?
I might go this route as I still have a ton of stuff in Houston.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:48 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,974,901 times
Find who Nellis uses. I would think as they would have a gov. Contract they would want to be on the up and up.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:08 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,798,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
T

Is the trailer at ground level (basically) like PODs are?
I might go this route as I still have a ton of stuff in Houston.
No, it's tractor trailer height. But they have a ramp.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:12 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,075,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Will you be driving? Its a pretty drive but once you enter the foothills of Texas it seems endless until you hit San Antonio. I DO NOT rec American Auto Shippers (overall horrid experience with them) but I've used DAS twice and both times they exceeded my expectations.

Not sure about moving companies...I just used a POD, convienent but expensive unless you NEED short term storage for some reason its not the most cost effective route to take.

Prepare for beautiful mornings and evenings, miserable daytime temps and buy lots of bug spray. Start you dog on heartworm meds and flea control...I rec Advantage Multi as it takes care of both so is less expensive than buying two seprate quality products.
Frontline doesn't seem to work very well on the mosquitos here so I suggest not bothering with that product.

I lived in 77345 (back of Kingwood) in one of the most beautiful neighborhoods imaginable. Nice, but I missed the desert weather and outdoor recreation of Southern Nevada and I missed living in a 24 hour town. Good luck to you in Houston, things are hustling down there. Don't let the superficially nice people fool you Houston is a city of a few honest folks and a ton of scammers. Always check your reciepts for double billing...always!

I lived in 77373, Spring for quite a while! We were almost neighbors.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:25 PM

427 posts, read 631,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma_1984 View Post
hi SoHoVe -

We decided to fly and not to drive all the way to Texas. we will take a Transport company for the cars.
Meanwhile I went and read testimonials and customer reviews regarding moving companies, in addition we have received a number of Quotes. still undecided with which movers ill mack the move. I found a lot of bad receives for each company, I feel that people like to especially respond when something bad happens to them.
You mentioned POD - the only pod i know is a restaurant....funny
Since you've chosen to fly, be mindful that some airlines don't allow pets to be shipped during the summer, unless they're small enough that the pet carrier fits under the seat.

Pods are an interesting option. Can be pricey, but worth looking into. The people I bought this house from used Pods. They were still looking to buy a house in this area so they packed their stuff into a pod, the pod was put into storage, and will be moved to their new house when they're ready. If they had moved out of state, the pod would be trucked to their new home. Good luck !
Error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: