Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 07:08 PM

344 posts, read 1,052,509 times

Advertisements

Other cities I like:
Denver
many areas of FL
Research Triangle NC
Austin, San Antonio, or Houston TX
Seattle, WA

What attracts me to Las Vegas (keep in mind I've never been there):

warm climate, good weather most of the year
cheap cost of living, cheap houses
good airport
no state income tax
near LA and other cities with great economic activity
Some startups are popping up in Las Vegas too so it could become a center for tech startups soon, if it hasn't already.

I work in an industry that thrives off of business connections, startups, making deals (usually pertaining to staffing, not directly to the company's product) so I need a city with some economic activity.

Thoughts on Las Vegas? Would I hate it? Would I be in for a shock? Is it a good place to create a home base, start a business, buy a cheap house, and enjoy the sunshine?

I live in Boston right now. too expensive, too cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 09:51 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,589,910 times
Unless you like long, gray, wet winters I would rule out Seattle. I have lived here all my life and I can't wait to retire and get to Vegas. Seattle is something that takes getting used to.

Where I work in Seattle we recruited from Hawaii and they have had a very hard time with the weather. Same with people from Arizona and hotter climates.

Also for some reason in the Pacific Northwest we have a much higher than average rate of people getting MS and/or certain cancers. Some have thought this is due to the lack of Vitamin D due to no sun for long periods of time. Others say it has to due with chemicals in our farm land and dairy. If you look at Cancer rates on the CDC site we are up in the top percentage. On the flip side, Nevada has a much higher suicide rate than the Seattle/Pacific Northwest.

Seattle is a great place to visit in the summer though.

Last edited by Packrat1; 07-01-2014 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 07-02-2014, 06:48 AM

9,533 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
Unless you like long, gray, wet winters I would rule out Seattle. I have lived here all my life and I can't wait to retire and get to Vegas. Seattle is something that takes getting used to.

Where I work in Seattle we recruited from Hawaii and they have had a very hard time with the weather. Same with people from Arizona and hotter climates.

Also for some reason in the Pacific Northwest we have a much higher than average rate of people getting MS and/or certain cancers. Some have thought this is due to the lack of Vitamin D due to no sun for long periods of time. Others say it has to due with chemicals in our farm land and dairy. If you look at Cancer rates on the CDC site we are up in the top percentage. On the flip side, Nevada has a much higher suicide rate than the Seattle/Pacific Northwest.

Seattle is a great place to visit in the summer though.
I have heard this also about cancer in the Northwest, My guess is there is something to it.

The suicide rate in Nevada. Yes that definitely makes sense. Then again I have heard that about the Northwest also. Especially Oregon. I guess everyplace has something wrong with it, we just can't win.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:31 AM

421 posts, read 898,712 times
On the plus side, you forgot to add:

lack of humidity,
plenty to do 24/7 if that is what you want,
much lower grocery prices than you are paying
lack of snow, unless you want to drive a short way to Mt. Charleston

Old 07-02-2014, 09:48 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,680,050 times
Lack of day light in the winter time is main reason I opted out of New England.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I have heard this also about cancer in the Northwest, My guess is there is something to it.

The suicide rate in Nevada. Yes that definitely makes sense. Then again I have heard that about the Northwest also. Especially Oregon. I guess everyplace has something wrong with it, we just can't win.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:10 AM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
For your non-business characteristics, LV would do well for you. For your business, a number of the other cities would likely to be significantly better. If you can cover the country remotely, Vegas would be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie555 View Post
Other cities I like:
Denver
many areas of FL
Research Triangle NC
Seattle, WA

good airport
no state income tax
Some startups are popping up in Las Vegas too so it could become a center for tech startups soon, if it hasn't already.

I work in an industry that thrives off of business connections, startups, making deals (usually pertaining to staffing, not directly to the company's product) so I need a city with some economic activity.

Thoughts on Las Vegas? Would I hate it? Would I be in for a shock? Is it a good place to create a home base, start a business, buy a cheap house, and enjoy the sunshine?

Old 07-02-2014, 10:19 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post
Lack of day light in the winter time is main reason I opted out of New England.
We actually have almost identical daylight here in the Winter, due to where we fall on the time zone map. 9:42 here vs. 9:04 in Boston.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:23 AM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
Yes, but in Vegas, the sunlight actually reaches the ground most of the time. In NE in winter, not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
We actually have almost identical daylight here in the Winter, due to where we fall on the time zone map. 9:42 here vs. 9:04 in Boston.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:47 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,680,050 times
Hey I just moved in from Boston for more than a month now.

I am involved in a startup here.

You will like it.

Raiderman is also from Rhode Island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie555 View Post
Other cities I like:
Denver
many areas of FL
Research Triangle NC
Seattle, WA

good airport
no state income tax

Old 07-02-2014, 08:22 PM

344 posts, read 1,052,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post
Hey I just moved in from Boston for more than a month now.

I am involved in a startup here.

You will like it.

Raiderman is also from Rhode Island.
Are there a few tech startups mixed in with all the gambling industry?

Thanks for the encouragement btw!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: