Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 04:46 AM

391 posts, read 754,281 times

Advertisements

I am starting to seriously consider moving to Las Vegas instead of Los Angeles...mainly because of the cheaper cost of living.

I work from home so the job market is irrelevant to me.

What do you think of Las Vegas and would you recommend it? What is the best about living there?

Thanks guys...just trying to pump myself up a bit and start counting down the days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 06:52 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,149,106 times
My wife likes it. She's happy, I'm happy. I've found I can live almost anywhere. .....

Old 05-30-2015, 08:40 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,812,673 times
Do your research and make your choice an informed one.

I'm like the guy in the post above who, "...found I can live almost anywhere." Yet, I choose to live full time in Salt Lake City and part time in Las Vegas. Both, though polar opposites, fit me.

I won't try to convince someone that because I like a place, they will like it too.

Bill

Old 05-30-2015, 09:52 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,627,195 times
Moved here from Wisconsin... Here are some of the perks:

No snow/shoveling/snowblowing
Dry air (helps make the temps feel cooler and helps with joint pain)
No state income tax
Very little property tax
Vast majority of homes are very new and in good shape
Very convenient airport in the heart of the city
Roads are extremely easy to travel on. Good condition and very few traffic issues.
Endless entertainment options
Endless dining options
Nice locals discounts at a lot of places
Fun city for your friends/family to visit you in
360-degree mountain views
Amazing sunrises/sunsets
Surrounded by State/National parks
House prices very reasonable
Easy to maintain homes

Many more...

Old 05-30-2015, 09:55 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,788,007 times
I'm one of the resident "Las Vegas Cheerleaders" on C-D I absolutely love it. Foremost, the weather. I love dry, extremely hot places. The desert fits me PERFECTLY. I don't want fog, humidity, or rain.

I like the mentality of the West, particularly here. I have lived in 12 or 13 states - from the coast of NorCal where I was born and raised, to the PNW, the midwest, New England, and the South. I find people here to be friendly and laid back. In only one place have I found people to be friendlier, and that was in the heart of coal country in SE Kentucky. But, then again, it was the poorest place I've ever seen in my life, so wouldn't consider living there again, as it got a bit depressing. We know all our neighbors, they are all friendly, as is our huge group of friends to whom we've grown so close that they are like family.

The cost of living is the cherry on top for me. Paying the same for a large house here as I was for a 2br/1.5ba condo in New England is pretty nice, as we like to entertain. Gas, groceries, and taxes are lower here than from where we moved.

Entertainment is another great perk for us. We are heavily into the music scene, and have options every single night of the week. Monday and Tuesday are the slowest days, but every single weekend we can choose who we want to go see perform. Prior to our move, we would get about 4 months a year in the summer when the festivals would roll through, and it normally meant driving to Boston or CT. I love that on any Friday or Saturday night, we can go through a list and pick what we want to do/see.

Lastly, we are a great hub that serves as a home base for regional exploration. Whether by car or by plane, there are hundreds of great destinations within a few hours.

The ONLY thing I miss is the smell of the ocean. Other than that, I'm good

Old 05-30-2015, 10:33 AM

391 posts, read 754,281 times
Cool Vegas_Cabbie and Raiderman.

Yeah to me Vegas really seem like the perfect spot.

1. World class sights within a few hour drive.
2. You can live secluded in a quiet residential neighborhood and still be at the Strip in 15 minutes.
3. The Strip offers some of the best nightlife, restaurants and entertainment in all of North America.
4. And you can do it all for way less than you would in LA or NYC.

Old 05-30-2015, 02:08 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,680,392 times
I am a remote worker as well. Moving here is like a 5% payraise automatically with no state income tax.

We just bought a house after 1 year in Henderson.

I love Vegas so much I don't want more people to move here. (:

Old 05-30-2015, 02:27 PM

661 posts, read 631,942 times
Vegas sucks and is overcrowded! Stay away, far, far away.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:08 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,890,159 times
Just know about half the people who move from So Cal move back in 3 years. There is no free lunch in life.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:22 PM

239 posts, read 194,905 times
We just moved here from Northern California and today we are experiencing our first 102 deg weather and it feels like 75 deg inside our condo with no airconditioning only a fan. We love it here so far. No complaints at all except drivers don't follow the speed limit like they should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas