Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 05:02 PM

112 posts, read 148,673 times

Advertisements

Ok, just as a refresher, just closed on a house on Monday. We don't currently live in Vegas and never have. I have already gotten all the utilities put in my name, so this is just out of curiosity.

The info sheet my realtor gave me basically said you had to get a letter from your previous gas, electric or water supplier to get the security deposit waived. Not possible in our case because we've been managing a townhouse complex for the past two years and rent and utilities are paid for us. I think some of the utilities may have waived the deposit with good credit. Mine's not top notch yet (rebuilding phase) so I was expecting to have to pay the deposits.

Two things I found odd. I was expecting to have to pay all the deposits up front. Turns out both gas and electric just put them on your first bill. So really it's just kind of like prepaying your service, kind of like you do with the cable company. Anyway, the gas company said they were going to charge me $110 and the electric company is charging $75. No problem. Like I said, I expected it.

Then the other thing was I called the water company. They did want the deposit up front. $500. I swallowed hard and gave them my bank card. It was weird to me because they didn't ask for anything but my name and the new address, so they couldn't have run a credit check. Is that their standard deposit? I just wondered why it was so much more than the gas or electric deposits? Is there gold in the water?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 05:23 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times
We went through this.. for each utility, they have an autopay feature which will debit your account monthly automatically. We had all deposits waived by agreeing to autopay for 1 year.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:31 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,663 times
$500 for water deposit?? We'll you are in the desert. I've never had to pay that much. Maybe there was a rate increase on deposits due to out of town landlords stiffing them with unpaid accounts. When we were renting out our home I had an access account to make sure our tenant was paying the bill. LOVED it! We're moving back into the house in a month and I suspect our deposit will be waived due to us owning the home and our payment history. Being local has its privileges.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:45 PM

89 posts, read 116,173 times
Depending on your credit rating you may or may not have to pay a deposit to the various utilities. If you have excellent credit, you will not be required to pay a deposit.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:06 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xafpilot View Post
Depending on your credit rating you may or may not have to pay a deposit to the various utilities. If you have excellent credit, you will not be required to pay a deposit.
Not correct. We hwere required to pay a small deposit, as we had never had an account with the utility company out here, not due to credit (according to the person who set up the account). It was either gas or water, can't quite remember.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:05 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
I didn't pay a deposit for anything. They simply turned on my lights, water and gas and that was that. Homeowner vs. renter might also come into play.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:15 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
I have done this a good bit for my own accounts or clients. Never heard or seen anything near $500. The normal measure is a month or twos billing maximum.
I would talk to them some more. Particularly on an owner occupied house. Maybe go up a level. That is not reasonable.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:52 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I have done this a good bit for my own accounts or clients. Never heard or seen anything near $500. The normal measure is a month or twos billing maximum.
I would talk to them some more. Particularly on an owner occupied house. Maybe go up a level. That is not reasonable.
What he said. $500 is nuts unless it's an existing home that has problems in the past, or a new house with a big pool to fill.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,769 times
I am going to rent when I move to Las Vegas. I have rented before & I don't even do the cleaning because 90% of the time one does not get back a cleaning deposit. Some of the reasons I heard even on a walk threw are 1 the door nobs on the door were dirty, kitchen needed better cleaning, floor needed better cleaning ect. other reasons to keep the deposit, we bring in a professional cleaning crew. I just gave up trying to get any cleaning deposits back.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:07 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
$500 for water deposit?? We'll you are in the desert. I've never had to pay that much. Maybe there was a rate increase on deposits due to out of town landlords stiffing them with unpaid accounts. When we were renting out our home I had an access account to make sure our tenant was paying the bill. LOVED it! We're moving back into the house in a month and I suspect our deposit will be waived due to us owning the home and our payment history. Being local has its privileges.
This town is so transit that utility companies should offer incentives for long time locals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: