Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2014, 08:52 AM

901 posts, read 1,898,747 times

Advertisements

My son is in 8th grade. He's been in the Catholic school system, but we're exploring our options for high school. We like what Bishop Gorman offers, however we're also interested in some of the magnet programs. Some of our friends have been quite pleased with BGHS, but we don't know anyone who has sent their kids to a magnet program. Rancho High School and SWCTA would be our top choices. Does anyone have experience with both Bishop Gorman and a magnet program and could make a comparison between the two? Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 02:58 PM

550 posts, read 637,740 times
I think you will get more bang for the effort by sending your child to a Magnet program. Gorman is ok but way too much money flowing around. Kids in Magnet programs generally WANT to be there and are much more motivated to do well. Check out an upcoming magnet school fair to see for yourself. There are less expensive ways to continue with a Catholic upbringing than paying for Gorman, like youth groups thru your church. I know ours (St. Viator) has an active teen group. Save your cash (Gorman last I checked was $11,000/year) for college or sending your child on a travel abroad program in 10th, 11th or 12th grade. Much more enriching, IMO. I have one of my daughters in Magnet elementary school and I am pleased. We intend on following that path as long as it makes sense.

Please don't forget, though, that Magnet schools are by lottery. There are no guarantees, but the Magnet program has been so successful (just might be CCSD's ONLY shining star) they are expanding it. But that also means more competition.

Here is the schedule for upcoming deadlines and dates:

Magnet Fair December 13th, 2014 10:00-2:00 at Del Sol High School

Application Deadline for all Magnet schools- January 8th, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Magnet Schools & Career and Technical Academies | Clark County School District, Magnet Schools & Career and Technical Academys

Good luck!

Old 12-03-2014, 04:31 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,156,755 times
I have a 6th grader in the magnet program. It is the best thing going for CCSD. Th only complaint I have is how far the school is from our home.(13 miles/20-25 minutes). But still worth it.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I have a 6th grader in the magnet program. It is the best thing going for CCSD. Th only complaint I have is how far the school is from our home.(13 miles/20-25 minutes). But still worth it.
True, our school is about 20 minutes away, too. We are really lucky, that for my daughter's magnet school, her bus stops right in our community park, 1 minute away from our home and she is not required to make any transfers. The afternoon bus only adds 15 minutes to the afternoon drop off vs. me picking her up, but I generally choose to do her pick ups, so I have face time with her teacher each day, which is provides me with a WORLD of advanced info about what's going on in the school and with the District and I maintain my relationships with the parents of my child's friends

Also, here is an old link for this site on the Pro's and Con's of Gorman:
Bishop Gorman dilemma

Last edited by momofvegasgirls; 12-03-2014 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: Forgot a link

Old 12-03-2014, 10:09 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,674,513 times
If you want to go with a magnet, I would suggest a school that is a stand-alone magnet. My children went to ATEC and LVA and did not have to deal with all the shenanigans that goes on in a regular high school. The child who chose to work hard received a top notch, first-rate education.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
If you want to go with a magnet, I would suggest a school that is a stand-alone magnet. My children went to ATEC and LVA and did not have to deal with all the shenanigans that goes on in a regular high school. The child who chose to work hard received a top notch, first-rate education.
That would be my preference too. Unfortunately, the program he is most interested in is only at Rancho. We went to Rancho's open house and left quite impressed, it's just the shenanigans that concern us. They happen everywhere, we just don't know how much it differs between a magnet, stand-alone, and BGHS. Can you shed some light on this? I have no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofvegasgirls View Post
I think you will get more bang for the effort by sending your child to a Magnet program. Gorman is ok but way too much money flowing around. Kids in Magnet programs generally WANT to be there and are much more motivated to do well. Check out an upcoming magnet school fair to see for yourself. There are less expensive ways to continue with a Catholic upbringing than paying for Gorman, like youth groups thru your church. I know ours (St. Viator) has an active teen group. Save your cash (Gorman last I checked was $11,000/year) for college or sending your child on a travel abroad program in 10th, 11th or 12th grade. Much more enriching, IMO. I have one of my daughters in Magnet elementary school and I am pleased. We intend on following that path as long as it makes sense.
You're right about BGHS's cost, it is expensive. While I'd rather not drop the cash, it's not a deal breaker. The academics are excellent, not to mention the networking that goes along with being a BGHS alum. I realize you can't compare it to being a Stanford grad, but it still does mean something and it's hard to put a price on that alone. However, there is one thing that I can't get out of my head when we took a tour. They did tout their academic reputation, but they weren't bashful about their athletics either. You can tell where their priorities are when the first thing they showed us was the football field while library was near the end. The biggest thing Rancho has going for it is that it has a program that interests my son. I mean really interests him. It's going to be a tough call either way.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:00 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,674,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
That would be my preference too. Unfortunately, the program he is most interested in is only at Rancho. We went to Rancho's open house and left quite impressed, it's just the shenanigans that concern us. They happen everywhere, we just don't know how much it differs between a magnet, stand-alone, and BGHS. Can you shed some light on this? I have no idea.
Which program? You know, CSN has a high school on their campus in which students can also earn college credit. Regardless of what program it is that he wants from Rancho, he may be able to make very good progress at the CSN high school.

One of the goals of the magnet programs being at low achieving schools is to raise the overall test scores at that school. And it does. The problem is that it lets the district slide on addressing the real issues for the students that are zoned for that school. I know they have a nice, new building and a lot of money goes into the magnet, but it's just business as usual in the non magnet side. Maybe there has been some improvement for the zoned students, but since they are not putting real money to address the real problems at that school, it's just a veneer.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:25 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,156,755 times
I agree with Everdeen. The non magnet students are treated like red headed step-children at zoned magnet schools. I have seen it at two different schools so far. It seems that all of the funding goes to the magnet programs/students first, everything else comes second.

Last year my daughter took a field trip to Sea World at the cost of other field trips getting cut. When I say "cut", I mean NO OTHER field trips were in the budget for the rest of the school year. How do you think the rest of the students felt?

I feel sorry for both sides. The magnet students in the high expectation magnet programs with 3-5 hours of homework each night being distracted by the non-magnet students.(my daughter). And the non magnet students feeling like the are second rate students among a bunch of "select" students who are catered to.

It just doesn't mix.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:16 PM

Bishop Gorman is likely a decent school. But their are no posted test scores to back it up. Either find a way to see what their scores are compared to another top ranking Catholic H.S. in the country, or find out what schools their graduates have been accepted into and what percentage of graduates even choose to go on to college. As a private school, they aren't required to make those scores known. They also aren't required to have highly specialized teachers in front of those kids. Being private lets all private schools, skirt requirements that CCSD cannot skirt. Even if affordability is not an issue, It's not likely you'd want to just waste that money. My husband and I wrestled with the same issues a few years ago. We made phenomenal friends and contacts in decent positions throughout the city, during our kids preschool and Kindergarten years, and we have maintained those friendships throughout the years. There are a million ways to do that. But if you think that those relationships and connections are formed in H.S. that might not be the case. They are usually formed and cultivated during the younger years, when kids and parents do most activities together, PTO, fundraising, birthday parties, etc...

Sounds like you have one thing in mind (in this town, legitimate, I'd say!) but your son has quite another. Why not try for the Magnet option, and if shenanigans get out of control, make it a one and done deal. Gorman will always be there the following year to accept your check!

Best of luck!

Old 12-04-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Which program? You know, CSN has a high school on their campus in which students can also earn college credit. Regardless of what program it is that he wants from Rancho, he may be able to make very good progress at the CSN high school.
He's interested in their aviation program. I don't believe there's another one like it, but I'll check into what CSN offers.

Quote:
One of the goals of the magnet programs being at low achieving schools is to raise the overall test scores at that school. And it does. The problem is that it lets the district slide on addressing the real issues for the students that are zoned for that school. I know they have a nice, new building and a lot of money goes into the magnet, but it's just business as usual in the non magnet side. Maybe there has been some improvement for the zoned students, but since they are not putting real money to address the real problems at that school, it's just a veneer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I feel sorry for both sides. The magnet students in the high expectation magnet programs with 3-5 hours of homework each night being distracted by the non-magnet students.(my daughter). And the non magnet students feeling like the are second rate students among a bunch of "select" students who are catered to.

It just doesn't mix.
It seems like this would create lots of tension between the magnet and non-magnet students, especially as they get older and into their high school years. This is what concerns us. Thanks to both of you for your input.

Anyone else out there care to share their experiences?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas