Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 10:14 PM

20 posts, read 22,359 times

Advertisements

Hello all!
I am new to this thread and I just had a few questions for those of you locals who are attending UNLV or are Alumni.
I currently am a sophomore at UNLV who has been trying to decide what to major in, and I need to make a choice fast! When I started at UNLV I planned to study nursing, but I do not feel like this is the right career path for me. Recently I have considered Hospitality management because I hear that it is a great program, I have also considered Healthcare Administration to stay in the Healthcare field, also elementary education.
I know these are all very different majors but I have many interests and believe that I will enjoy doing just about anything. The most important thing to me is salary and job security. I would like to make at least 50k a year by the middle of my career, so that my husband and I can live comfortably. I also would enjoy working in a field that is not over saturated and easy to find a job. I love Las Vegas and do not plan on leaving, so based off of what I mentioned above what career do you think is best for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 11:24 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,663 times
Have you taken any of the personality tests, Meyers-Briggs, etc? I understand your desire for stability but you have to take the long view. If you're not going to be happy in your chosen field in let's say 10 years... There s nothing worse than HAVING to go to a job everyday that you hate. The repercussions of a bad job can be substance abuse, relationship problems and psychiatric issues.

A lot of people are in debt up to their eyeballs because they were chasing the "it" career. You really need to do your homework (pun intended) in choosing what you want to do for the rest of your life. Some people get lucky and just seem to fall into a lucrative career; even without a college education. You should start with the BLS (Bureau of Labor Statistics). The Gov tracks employment needs and trends for a broad range of industries. U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

No matter what you do, prepare to b a lifelong learner because technology changes so fast.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:56 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
what experience do you have now? you need the hospitality experience and the education.. you should have been in this since you were 18 working at a hotel, etc..

you cannot pick a field based on money alone… you will start at the lower end and work your way up just like everybody else...

Old 01-05-2015, 11:58 PM

Hello MAXIALE02, thank you for the reply! I found your reply to be very insightful, therefore I truly must thank you. I did take the personality test you suggested and found that it was scary accurate! Seems as though I really need to be in a field that helps people and contributes to the greater good. Therefore, I do not think the hotel industry is for me (No offense to hospitality majors). So thank you! I'll be leaning towards a healthcare or teaching related discipline!

Old 01-06-2015, 12:02 AM

Hello airics. I currently have about two years of experience working as a medical biller and I have about four working in retail management.

I am aware that I cannot base a career off of money, as I am not stupid, I also know that I will have to work my way up like everyone else. Those three majors were my top career choices for reasons I did not throughly explain in this post because I did not think it was necessary. Basically what I was asking in this post is what out of those has the best outlook?, pros/cons, and what are good programs at unlv.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:15 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
medical

Old 01-06-2015, 09:32 AM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
I see this as completely backwards. What you describe is how people end up with $XXX,XXX in student loan debt, and not make enough to pay it off. If you're going to spend significant money on an education, it had better be able to generate a return that will cover that expense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
Have you taken any of the personality tests, Meyers-Briggs, etc? I understand your desire for stability but you have to take the long view. If you're not going to be happy in your chosen field in let's say 10 years... There s nothing worse than HAVING to go to a job everyday that you hate. The repercussions of a bad job can be substance abuse, relationship problems and psychiatric issues.

A lot of people are in debt up to their eyeballs because they were chasing the "it" career. You really need to do your homework (pun intended) in choosing what you want to do for the rest of your life. Some people get lucky and just seem to fall into a lucrative career; even without a college education. You should start with the BLS (Bureau of Labor Statistics). The Gov tracks employment needs and trends for a broad range of industries. U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

No matter what you do, prepare to b a lifelong learner because technology changes so fast.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:32 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,263,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmaxhay View Post
Hello all!
I am new to this thread and I just had a few questions for those of you locals who are attending UNLV or are Alumni.
I currently am a sophomore at UNLV who has been trying to decide what to major in, and I need to make a choice fast! When I started at UNLV I planned to study nursing, but I do not feel like this is the right career path for me. Recently I have considered Hospitality management because I hear that it is a great program, I have also considered Healthcare Administration to stay in the Healthcare field, also elementary education.
I know these are all very different majors but I have many interests and believe that I will enjoy doing just about anything. The most important thing to me is salary and job security. I would like to make at least 50k a year by the middle of my career, so that my husband and I can live comfortably. I also would enjoy working in a field that is not over saturated and easy to find a job. I love Las Vegas and do not plan on leaving, so based off of what I mentioned above what career do you think is best for me?
No one can decide for you. I would get a bachelor's degree in nursing and then go for master in Healthcare Administration. Why are your second guessing nursing? There are so many areas of nursing that you can go in to.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I see this as completely backwards. What you describe is how people end up with $XXX,XXX in student loan debt, and not make enough to pay it off. If you're going to spend significant money on an education, it had better be able to generate a return that will cover that expense.
Well it worked for me. Please elaborate how researching a career backfires into debt? If you're doing your due diligence you won't take out astronomical loans to finance a **** poor career. People in up with stupid debt by not knowing what they are getting themselves into.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:40 AM

My other considerable point is that everybody and their mother, sister, cousin and brother tells everybody they know to go into medical and guess what? Now it's flooded. You have crappy ass people doing work they don't like to do and you wonder why the health-care in some places (Las Vegas) is so bad. Consider supply and demand. When I first started out I worked nine hours per week in my chosen field because there were too many of us. Its been 18 years and I haven't had a day off in 3 weeks besides NYD. Another point being people don't want to or can't afford to tolerate working nine hours per week.

So I say investigate something you love and can tolerate in the up and down market. Depending on what you choose, you just might make a difference. I feel sorry for the current generation because tech is good but what exactly are the downsides to automation and robotics in terms of employability in the new millinneum? If you aren't educated in technology then there is no significant job for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: