Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 01:43 PM

469 posts, read 495,164 times

Advertisements

So I've been reading a lot on this forum since I have decided to move to LV with my mom 6 months from now. I am currently saving up as much money as I can to prepare our move and to make the trip out there and also already have a guaranteed job lined up ready for me thanks to a great friend. I have narrowed it down as far as budgeting goes for 1 bedroom ($800) + utilities. The two areas my friend had recommended were Summerlin and Chinatown. Here are the 3 important pros and cons that I have taken into consideration.

Summerlin

Pros:
-One of the nicest areas to live in LV
-Housing is fair and away from the strip
-Less Crime compared to majority of LV

Cons:
-Farthest area from majority of central LV
-Being the newest resident of Summerlin people may look at you very strange and I would definitely be looked at like an outsider.
-Traffic will be heavy during the mornings from going to work so I would have to leave early.

Chinatown

Pros:
Centralized
15 mins from the strip
All necessitates (My friend told me he visits Chinatown majority of his time to get what he needs)

Cons:
Gang related violence is usually common
Some housings may not be great
Traffic can be heavy due to residents and tourist needing to pass by the area to get from one place to another.

I would want to start off living in a gated community for the safety for me, my mom and my vehicle until I get to know the area and the rest of LV. My plan is to go down for two days (2 weeks prior) and rent a place out first before making our move down there as I would also need an address to have our belongings ship to. I am looking for feedback on this gated community apartments that I have found and If anybody has any reviews.

Brittnae Pines Apartments - Las Vegas, NV 89108 | Apartments for Rent

Also how much would you guys recommend saving up prior to moving down there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 02:10 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,012,706 times
800 barely gets you a Summerlin place

Old 02-08-2015, 02:18 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,004,554 times
Is "Summerlin in Name Only" (SINO) a thing?

But, I hear Summerlin is nice...

Old 02-08-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
800 barely gets you a Summerlin place
Isn't that Apartment Community considered in Summerlin?

Old 02-08-2015, 02:55 PM

15,868 posts, read 14,501,899 times
Your link doesn't work.

Do you know where your job will be located? There are other areas to look at.

From the standpoint Summerlin, it's physically farther away from the Strip and Downtown from Chinatown, it has really good highway access, both to the 215 and Summerlin Pkwy.

And don't worry about the outsider thing. Once you make it past your first month, you're a local.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soclose View Post
Isn't that Apartment Community considered in Summerlin?

Old 02-08-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Your link doesn't work.

Do you know where your job will be located? There are other areas to look at.

From the standpoint Summerlin, it's physically farther away from the Strip and Downtown from Chinatown, it has really good highway access, both to the 215 and Summerlin Pkwy.

And don't worry about the outsider thing. Once you make it past your first month, you're a local.
I apologize for the link not working. But it is the Brittnae Pines apartments. Looking into getting a 1br for $665 a month plus utilities from them.

My job will be located in which ever area I am going to be living since my friend is the hiring manager *thumbs up*

Thank You for the helpful information

Old 02-08-2015, 03:28 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,012,706 times
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-18-2015 at 06:48 AM..

Old 02-08-2015, 04:28 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,681,337 times
I heard Sunset Manor is the hottest Vegas neighborhood.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:34 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,421,994 times
You should look into "naked city". Super awesome area with the benefit of nudity, if you are into that sorta thing.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
You should look into "naked city". Super awesome area with the benefit of nudity, if you are into that sorta thing.
No sorry. I rather be in a area where it's decent and not too many distractions.

Only post if you guys are actually going to be helpful please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas