Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 05:41 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times

Advertisements

Our pool (in South Carolina) is totally "solar" heated...if the sun shines, the water gets warm! If the sun isn't out, no one wants to swim, anyway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 05:30 AM

1,374 posts, read 2,435,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Our pool (in South Carolina) is totally "solar" heated...if the sun shines, the water gets warm! If the sun isn't out, no one wants to swim, anyway!
It's quite romantic to swim under the Vegas sky full of stars.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:52 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
I'm guessing it's not 100 at midnight there often? We swim a lot at night here.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:53 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,808,416 times
Here is the problem the president of our HOA has a vendetta against the pools and people who use them. We have 3 pools in our community all have heaters which are suppose to be maintain at 82 to 85 degrees from May 1 to Oct 31. He is saying we are one of the last communities which heat the pools in Las Vegas. He claims last August we had a outrageous gas bill for one of the pools. I find it hard to believe this and made an objection in the last HOA meeting that 1. the heater is not working correct 2. Southwest gas read the meter wrong or a bad meter 3. Our pool vender is screwing us. This pool heater is brand new 1 yr old. So the president of the association solution is to for now not heat the pools the first 4 weeks they open and not heat them the last 4 weeks they are open. His quote about no one is heating their pools anymore is BS. I just figured that as a false statement. So it looks like War is coming to our HOA board and something else stinks as far as cost goes somewhere else in our budget and this President is trying to CYOA. Thanks for the feed back and I will try to keep people posted.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:48 PM

611 posts, read 951,402 times
Thanks Irish...I'd like to know how this progresses for you. FYI: Today Wayne and I and a fellow from Alberta all went swimming this afternoon in our UNHEATED pool. The sun is definitely warming up the water already. Let me tell you though, it wasn't too long before we jumped out and hit the hot tub! :-). I think those that were sunbathing were thinking "Crazy Canucks" though....

Old 02-14-2015, 05:38 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,952,172 times
Our hoa heats our pool yr round and there are others in town that do as well.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:46 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,589,910 times
Irishspy, I would not take no for an answer regarding the heating of the pool. If heating the pool has been a past practice in your HOA then you probably have an argument. Unfortunately what it will require is you and people who believe in the same postition getting involved. You need to start asking questions and reviewing the HOA paperwork.

What I mean by getting involved is becoming a student of the rules and regulations and Robert Rules of Order if they apply. What you need to do is get a copy of the Board rules and procedures and copies of the minutes etc. Also you need to get copies of the monthly and yearly expense reports and go over them. You also need to befriend other members on the board and create an alliance.

You also need to vote the president out. We had a problem with the President of our community and were able to work together and elect a different President but it took a lot of work.

I would also go back several years when your pool was heated to your satisfaction and get a copy of the gas bills for that period. You would then know what the costs were. You might even be able to get a graph from the Gas company. A cover also might be something that would lower gas costs heating the pool.

I would also try to find out who is the outside vendor servicing the pool and take him aside and ask if there are any problems or solutions he might have regarding heating the pool. Maybe the information regarding the pool is being filtered by the President. Also you might speak to another pool vendor and see if they have solutions.

Last edited by Packrat1; 02-14-2015 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: Edit

Old 02-17-2015, 09:56 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times
The President may actually be looking at budget and if they keep heating pools me may either need to raise maint or use reserves if costs keep rising.

Also what percent of folks want and need a heated pool or actually use it. If a large portion of condo complex does not use heated pools maybe it makes sense.

At next condo meeting, request gas bills and cost to heat pool vs budget and determine if cost savings are worth it.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:53 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,808,416 times
Yes you both are correct and I have asked before for proof. So our next meeting this month will be a barn burner I am sure and I will have my copy of the heating of the pools by laws in hand. Too bad it has come to this because of one person and our pools all 3 of them are the center piece of our community and also a main buying or selling point of residences so this affects all of the people here. I will keep folks informed by the way I have over 35 years experience dealing with water usage having retired as a maintenance worker in a large paper mill which used over 3.5 million gallons of water each day and having that cost to be efficient at compared to 3 swimming pools lol

Old 02-17-2015, 12:54 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
The President may actually be looking at budget and if they keep heating pools me may either need to raise maint or use reserves if costs keep rising.

Also what percent of folks want and need a heated pool or actually use it. If a large portion of condo complex does not use heated pools maybe it makes sense.

At next condo meeting, request gas bills and cost to heat pool vs budget and determine if cost savings are worth it.
heck yes.. a heated pool is worth it… i heat mine (15,000 gallon with spa jets in the pool) to 102 degrees 3-4 days a time.. costs less than $15
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas