Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 10:08 AM

186 posts, read 238,642 times

Advertisements

So my neighbor has some crazy rooster going off from around 3 am to 5-6 am. Now I know they had to have neighbors that 350 feet around them for them to have hens. I didn't sign a thing so I'm sure the other neighbors didn't either. Not sure if their ever cooped up because from what I've seen they'll climb up on the brick wall. What should I do? These neighbors are problematic the guy already picked a fight with the neighbor on the other side. Plus the kids keep throwing rocks and dirty diapers in our back yard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 10:14 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,549,370 times
I'm not sure if you would call code enforcement, the police or animal control but this is the statute.

Las Vegas Municipal Code

7.38.050 - Poultry and birds—Permit and other requirements.
(A)
Except as otherwise provided in Subsection (B), it is unlawful for any person to keep, or cause to be kept, on premises over which any such person may have control within the City:
(1)
Any poultry within three hundred fifty feet of any dwelling of another person unless such other person has filed with the Animal Control Officer a written, unrevoked consent authorizing the keeping of such poultry within three hundred fifty feet of the dwelling. In the case of pigeons, this distance shall be two hundred feet from any dwelling owned by another person unless such other person has filed with the Animal Control Officer a written, unrevoked consent authorizing the keeping of the pigeons within two hundred feet of the dwelling, in which case the number of pigeons shall be limited to twelve pair over the age of twelve months;
(2)
Any crowing rooster;
(3)
Any poultry or birds that are not, at all times, confined within a suitable outbuilding, coop, or enclosed runway that is clean and free from offensive odors, animal wastes, rodents, flies, or any other offensive or unwholesome condition; or
(4)
Any poultry within any dwelling house, basement, sub-basement, or cellar.
(B)
A person may keep up to a maximum of three hundred carrier or racing pigeons if the use complies with the provisions of Title 19. The pigeons must be confined in accordance with Paragraph 3 of Subsection (A) of this Section except during limited periods necessary for exercise, training or competition.
(Ord. No. 6229, § 14, 12-19-12; Ord. No. Ord. 5609 § 2, 2003: Ord. 5220 § 41, 2000: Ord. 3618 § 162, 1991)

Clark County Ordinances

10.36.010 Noise annoyance.

No person shall own, keep, harbor or possess any animal which, by loud or frequent habitual barking, yelping, braying, crowing or other noise, causes annoyance to the neighborhood or to any person in the vicinity.

https://www.municode.com/library/nv/....050POBIEROTRE

https://library.municode.com/index.a...ateName=Nevada

Last edited by ddrhazy; 03-09-2015 at 10:32 AM..

Old 03-09-2015, 10:24 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
It's completely legal to have hens. I have fought this fight already with my mother in law's HOA. She won. The HOA lost.

Sounds like gia's neighbors are a bunch of typical nitwits. But the hens may stay. The rooster and the dirty diapers are another matter entirely.

Las Vegas Nevada Chicken Ordinance - BackYard Chickens Community

Old 03-09-2015, 10:35 AM

That's actually not true Scoop. They may be breaking city, county or even state laws. In general if the house isn't far enough from other neighbors houses you'll find yourself running into problems.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
That's actually not true Scoop. They may be breaking city, county or even state laws. In general if the house isn't far enough from other neighbors houses you'll find yourself running into problems.
I'm telling you, I've fought my mother in laws neighbors already on this. Her neighbors, and the HOA didn't want her to have backyard chickens. It's one of those small, froo-froo communities. She still has chickens, and they're still ticked off about it.

(Although, to be fair, I threatened that if they made her get rid of her hens, I would buy her a Moluccan cockatoo* and a beagle, and the neighbors could deal with that instead.)

*According to the San Diego Zoo: A 747 Jumbo Jet produces as much as 140 decibels of noise. Peacocks have been registered at 115 db. Moluccans hold the record as the loudest bird on earth at 135db (average = 120db)

Old 03-09-2015, 11:08 AM

HOA =/= City code enforcement.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
HOA =/= City code enforcement.
The HOA tried using Code Enforcement. That didn't work either.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
The HOA tried using Code Enforcement. That didn't work either.
HOAs are administered by people like you and me. Sometimes they get tired of trying to enforce rules and give up. If it was annoying enough to me I wouldn't though. Either way, they didn't try hard enough. Sometimes you have to pester code enforcement to come out and see if there is a violation of the laws. If it was really annoying they should have escalated it to an obdusman. The law is very clear, "any poultry within 350 feet of another person's dwelling".

Old 03-09-2015, 11:52 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,946,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gia1990 View Post
So my neighbor has some crazy rooster going off from around 3 am to 5-6 am. Now I know they had to have neighbors that 350 feet around them for them to have hens. I didn't sign a thing so I'm sure the other neighbors didn't either. Not sure if their ever cooped up because from what I've seen they'll climb up on the brick wall. What should I do? These neighbors are problematic the guy already picked a fight with the neighbor on the other side. Plus the kids keep throwing rocks and dirty diapers in our back yard!
Reason #945,349 that living with an HOA is actually a good thing.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:26 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Believe it or not, where I lived within a stone's throw of downtown San Jose, I was not within city limits. That meant my neighbors right behind me could have a rooster. The blankety-blank thing would start at 4am and go for the entire day. I tried talking to my neighbors and calling the sheriff. Nobody would do anything.

So I rigged up a couple of speakers in my bathroom windows (which faced into their back yard over the fence) that were over the tub and shut the door. The next morning at 4am when I was awakened, I simply turned on AC/DC at full volume (would have woke the dead). I let it play for a couple minutes then went back to sleep. Every time the rooster went off, so did my stereo.

Two days later I woke up at 9am to peace and quiet and never again was there any rooster in our neighborhood. And just in case your neighbors doesn't know, you don't have to have a rooster to get fresh eggs.

By the way, just wait until dark and throw all that crap back over the fence at night. They'll get the message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: