Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 11:33 PM

79 posts, read 120,544 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I really would like to thank you all for taking the time to response to my questions and thought. Your answers are very thoughtful and insightful. I am looking around area code 89103 for now. but I'm still exploring possibilities now maybe 89121 is a possibility as well. I'm a NYC public school teacher, getting tired of the cold snowy winter in the East Coast. love the dry climate in Vegas. love the buffets and gambling as well. lol. hope I don't loose my shirt. any additional comments is greatly appreciated. thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 02:43 AM

104 posts, read 254,961 times
Anthem, 89044 and 89052. 55+ communities of Sun City Anthem and Solera. Paradise! Do take a look.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:51 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,059,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYDANIEL View Post
I'm a NYC public school teacher, getting tired of the cold snowy winter in the East Coast. love the dry climate in Vegas. love the buffets and gambling as well. lol. hope I don't loose my shirt. any additional comments is greatly appreciated. thank you.
That scares me.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:10 AM

1,828 posts, read 5,314,068 times
What is the point?

I don't understand why you are in the market for real estate now if you are 10 to 15 years away from moving here. Are you prepared to be an absentee landlord? Are you in Vegas frequently enough to manage your own rental? Have you factored property management costs into an already mediocre ROI?

Perhaps max out your retirement accounts instead? Move to Vegas and retire in 15 with money instead of a worn out rental property. Seems like there are much less risky financial gambles available to someone in your position.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:35 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
What is the point?

I don't understand why you are in the market for real estate now if you are 10 to 15 years away from moving here. Are you prepared to be an absentee landlord? Are you in Vegas frequently enough to manage your own rental? Have you factored property management costs into an already mediocre ROI?

Perhaps max out your retirement accounts instead? Move to Vegas and retire in 15 with money instead of a worn out rental property. Seems like there are much less risky financial gambles available to someone in your position.
This is probably very true. Anything that has been rented for 15 years here or anywhere is going to be tired and beat up by the time you get here! You would have to save the money to gut the condo and redo it by then! And that's if you had perfect renters.

The idea of retiring here is probably a good one. You can't throw a rock here without hitting someone from New York. You could probably say that in Florida too. As long as you don't like gambling too much, it can be a great place to live.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:20 PM

79 posts, read 120,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
What is the point?

you got me thinking. you got a very good point there. I am almost maxing out my 401k and roth. but I'm also thinking to be an absentee landlord as well? difficult decision. yes, I go to Las Vegas 3-4 times a year for my vacation and thinking for hire management to run property. I believe the cost of property management is around $100 per month. not looking to make profit here. just kind of forcing myself to safe money. because If I see extra $$$ I would spend it.

love Buffets and hobby of gambling. may be dangerous. lol. or maybe I will get sick of buffet. see, I do not cook for myself , that's the problem.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:27 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
Absentee landlord is a huge mistake as are property mgmt companies

Old 03-31-2015, 05:36 PM

661 posts, read 631,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYDANIEL View Post
you got me thinking. you got a very good point there. I am almost maxing out my 401k and roth. but I'm also thinking to be an absentee landlord as well? difficult decision. yes, I go to Las Vegas 3-4 times a year for my vacation and thinking for hire management to run property. I believe the cost of property management is around $100 per month. not looking to make profit here. just kind of forcing myself to safe money. because If I see extra $$$ I would spend it.

love Buffets and hobby of gambling. may be dangerous. lol. or maybe I will get sick of buffet. see, I do not cook for myself , that's the problem.
Just stick to a comfortable budget and you will do fine. On the other hand if you are one of those that chases their losses?? I think you have a good handle since you are able to max out 401k and Roth.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:11 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtvette View Post
If the house is reasonably priced they seem to move. There are a few houses in the neighborhood that have been for sale for some time now but, they are over priced. The house next to us is For Sale. Many, many people come through to look but the owner is asking too much.
The other explanation is that some people don't know the difference between the Lakes, and Lake Las Vegas.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:16 PM

670 posts, read 1,104,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
The other explanation is that some people don't know the difference between the Lakes, and Lake Las Vegas.
HA! I didn't even think of that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas