Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 10:50 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times

Advertisements

I dont see anything that off in the rankings. There is no category for cheap housing, low taxes or no snow. Most people who post here like some combination of those three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 11:08 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
i'm tired about people complaining about this place... so lets look at the big picture.. (at least for me)

You can get more house elsewhere.. (cleveland).. possibly more land, same size house.. but then i would have to cut the grass

You have 4 seasons .. (cleveland)... no you don't. the 4 seasons of cleveland are almost winter, winter, still winter, and summer with humidity (bugs)
I'd have to shovel snow.

Here Vegas.. more availability of everything.... im not sure there is a walmart that isnt 24 hours.. cleveland.. close at 10

Here Vegas.. property tax is much cheaper.. at least 1/2

Here Vegas.. no state income tax... cleveland.. state, regional, city

Schools: Here Vegas.. not great but a few good ones... Cleveland.. Fair, a few more good ones.. but you pay for it...

Food: no comparison... here everything

People... for the most part Cleveland has this one... i have a hard time with the people here.. dumb as rocks some of them... but that is to be expected in this mecca... WAY TO MANY KNOW IT ALLS.....

Drivers... busier here.. but better roads.. I can easily drive 90mph without worrying that a pothole will swallow my car..

Environment.... definitely here...mountains, desert, museums, etc.. very good here...
I do wish they would have a zoo here, but with the heat I understand..

Vacation... not many places to go in my opinion.. since i am living in a great vacation spot..... .hmm lets plan that fun trip to Cleveland.. not..

Old 04-17-2015, 01:30 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
i'm tired about people complaining about this place... so lets look at the big picture.. (at least for me)

You can get more house elsewhere.. (cleveland).. possibly more land, same size house.. but then i would have to cut the grass

You have 4 seasons .. (cleveland)... no you don't. the 4 seasons of cleveland are almost winter, winter, still winter, and summer with humidity (bugs)
I'd have to shovel snow.

Here Vegas.. more availability of everything.... im not sure there is a walmart that isnt 24 hours.. cleveland.. close at 10

Here Vegas.. property tax is much cheaper.. at least 1/2

Here Vegas.. no state income tax... cleveland.. state, regional, city

Schools: Here Vegas.. not great but a few good ones... Cleveland.. Fair, a few more good ones.. but you pay for it...

Food: no comparison... here everything

People... for the most part Cleveland has this one... i have a hard time with the people here.. dumb as rocks some of them... but that is to be expected in this mecca... WAY TO MANY KNOW IT ALLS.....

Drivers... busier here.. but better roads.. I can easily drive 90mph without worrying that a pothole will swallow my car..

Environment.... definitely here...mountains, desert, museums, etc.. very good here...
I do wish they would have a zoo here, but with the heat I understand..

Vacation... not many places to go in my opinion.. since i am living in a great vacation spot..... .hmm lets plan that fun trip to Cleveland.. not..
Who cares about Cleveland other than you? It did worse in this "report" but my money is on you didn't even bother to look at the report.

Typical of many of the regulars on here. Ignore the problems with the city, act like they don't exist because you got that lower tax bill you wanted.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:45 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Typical of many of the regulars on here. Ignore the problems with the city, act like they don't exist because you got that lower tax bill you wanted.
I think it's more a sort of defense justification for living here.

When you get down to it, Las Vegas' problems aren't all that hard to fix.

• We need more diversity of industry. (Gambling is always going to be the first industry to suffer in the event of a recession and the last to recover.)
  • We need to lower our school dropout rates.
  • We need to fix our traffic bandwidth -- time the lights to improve traffic flow. This is a free fix that would save millions of dollars every year. Traffic jams cost a lot of money. So do accidents. It's criminally stupid that we don't fix this.
  • The Smith Center should be viewed as "a great start" and not the final word in culture.
  • We need schools for the gifted -- elementary, middle and high school. One each would do for now.
  • We need a medical school, hopefully at UNLV.
  • We need better STEM programs at UNLV. Particularly engineering. I'd love to see a world-class engineering program at UNLV. Civil, optical, mechanical, aeronautical -- doesn't matter. Pick something and run with it.
  • CSN, while a great community resource as it is today, could be beefed up even more.
  • We need to implement a version of Utah's Housing First program to rein in the homeless problem.

Fixing our problems wouldn't cost all that much. Lowering the dropout rate would be expensive, sure. But think of the money we'll save compared packing immigrants and minorities off to jail.

People are so afraid of becoming a nanny state that they'll become apologists for the status quo.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Who cares about Cleveland other than you? It did worse in this "report" but my money is on you didn't even bother to look at the report.

I'm from cleveland.. That's why I compared it

Old 04-17-2015, 02:57 AM

Quote:

Didn't you leave here for that Mecca known as Denver?

Old 04-17-2015, 07:00 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,811,853 times
Quote:

I've always thought just the opposite - that many regulars here are unduly negative compared to other Las Vegas-related forums. For example, the Vegas Message Board is much more upbeat. Regulars there post myriad new and upcoming Las Vegas happenings. There's a very different vibe between the two boards, even with considerable crossover membship.

But, I do see the "home town" effect occur when outsiders criticize Las Vegas here. Suddenly, several of the complainers do a 180 and defend it. It's like it's O.K. for the regulars to complain, but different when some newbee or perceived interloper does it.

Bill

Old 04-17-2015, 08:11 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
With all of the baggage, who wants to be #1 anyway? ...

Old 04-17-2015, 09:04 AM

15,850 posts, read 14,479,382 times
Sniffing around their criteria, it sounds like a lot of worthless, touchy-feely bull_hit.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:04 AM

256 posts, read 321,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I think it's more a sort of defense justification for living here.

When you get down to it, Las Vegas' problems aren't all that hard to fix.

• We need more diversity of industry. (Gambling is always going to be the first industry to suffer in the event of a recession and the last to recover.)
  • We need to lower our school dropout rates.
  • We need to fix our traffic bandwidth -- time the lights to improve traffic flow. This is a free fix that would save millions of dollars every year. Traffic jams cost a lot of money. So do accidents. It's criminally stupid that we don't fix this.
  • The Smith Center should be viewed as "a great start" and not the final word in culture.
  • We need schools for the gifted -- elementary, middle and high school. One each would do for now.
  • We need a medical school, hopefully at UNLV.
  • We need better STEM programs at UNLV. Particularly engineering. I'd love to see a world-class engineering program at UNLV. Civil, optical, mechanical, aeronautical -- doesn't matter. Pick something and run with it.
  • CSN, while a great community resource as it is today, could be beefed up even more.
  • We need to implement a version of Utah's Housing First program to rein in the homeless problem.

Fixing our problems wouldn't cost all that much. Lowering the dropout rate would be expensive, sure. But think of the money we'll save compared packing immigrants and minorities off to jail.

People are so afraid of becoming a nanny state that they'll become apologists for the status quo.
The one comment I'd make here is about drop out rates. Some school districts across the country have developed programs that have data suggesting they help reduce the rate of drop outs. In particular, Alhambra Unified in CA implemented a great program that I learned about when working for the AG out here. The program was really cheap to implement, and they were actually making money on it due to the fact that an admin at the school created it. The results were so promising that schools were paying $400 per person to send their own school officials for trainings. It was a very expansive program though. It covered mental health components for students. The school district had agreements with local businesses to notice when a school age teen were in their business during school hours, and several businesses began refusing service. The police also had an agreement that they would pick up truant teens and take them to school. It took A LOT of community wide support, and didn't really target a single variable. However, it still improved drop-out rate. Just thought I would point out that improving drop-out rates doesn't have to be expensive. It just takes work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas