Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2015, 08:56 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,319,508 times

Advertisements

This somewhat ties in with the other post about pool truck using public hydrant for filling. In that case, they weren't wasting but instead, probably stealing. My story is about the apathy I discovered when I called the waste hotline because I'm one of those strange people who IS concerned about our water shortage.

I told the hotline operator I was calling to report a neighbor who still maintains a grass lawn and insists on watering for hours every day. This water runs for about 4 hours during the prohibited times of 11a - 7 p. It runs so long and so much, streams of water cascade down our street. We have tried talking to the offender in person and her attitude is, "I pay for it."

The hotline operator, all the while coming off as bored and bothered, told me I must be very definitive about the exact time of day this water is running because if they HAVE to send an inspector out to view it, those inspectors cost money and they don't want to waste that money. I gave her the address, was very definitive about the times this abuse could be observed, hung up feeling like I had been a great bother to the water department and have now watched as the watering has continued for the last month. Apparently they decided, better to allow water waste to continue rather than incur the hourly salary for a waste employee to check and put an end to her waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 09:12 PM

661 posts, read 631,668 times
I would say to be persistent. I filed over 20 complaints with a major water waster in my neighborhood who constantly over-watered and flooded the intersection on a daily basis. He was fined and fixed all his leaks. It did take over a year to resolve.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:39 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
They are getting revenue from the water "waster".. why would they want to do anything about it?

Old 05-01-2015, 12:28 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,030,668 times
Quote:
This somewhat ties in with the other post about pool truck using public hydrant for filling. In that case, they weren't wasting but instead, probably stealing.
Why do you assume they were stealing? It is common for contractors to rent a water meter (Jones valve) from LVVWD.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:39 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
We have tried talking to the offender in person and her attitude is, "I pay for it."
I think this was a mistake. If they are fined, they're going to have a pretty good idea who turned them in. And then you could be setting yourself up for acts of petty revenge vandalism. I don't bother talking to my problem neighbors. They're special snowflakes who think they're above the law. I just ignore them and hope they go away.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:51 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
I understand your frustration! I hate when I see irrigation systems soaking roads and sidewalks!

Old 05-02-2015, 12:16 AM

1,371 posts, read 1,933,130 times
I called today to complain about the entire city of LV being a waste of water, the lady had the audacity to laugh and hang up

Old 05-02-2015, 08:30 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
I called today to complain about the entire city of LV being a waste of water, the lady had the audacity to laugh and hang up
I share her reaction...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas