Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 11:38 PM

635 posts, read 746,361 times

Advertisements

19th in the US...I'm not sure why this wouldn't make some question this survey. Parks, planted in the middle of the desert...for the most part not natural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 11:47 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
You have to be careful in and around parks at night!

Where I come from that's well known as where the drug deals have gone down and some go real bad like people getting jumped, stabbed in the neck and they stumble out from the edge of the trees seeking medical help before they bleed out.

Also a couple young homeless women have been found dead face down drown over the edge of a large water fountain with their pants around their ankles.

I imagine in a city as large as Las Vegas these same nefarious things may also be going on here.
That would actually be big news here. While our violent crime has gone up in the last few years, a rape/ murder in a park would not be a second page story. We have more than our share of shenanegins, prostitution, drug related crimes, and gang violence that has spiked recently, but random acts of violence against strangers are an anomaly.

You want to get trick-rolled, your car broken into, offered some weed, Vegas is your place, but this ain't the South Side of Chicago by any means.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:52 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,279,422 times
It wasn't until I moved here that I first heard about what a trick-rolled was.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:15 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
It can get pretty spooky walking around Sunset Park between 2-4am, when I usually walk my ferret, the near absence of lights down there. I let the sounds of the ducks be my guide to getting to the lake, as I might get lost otherwise.

Desert Breeze is more lighted, but the police have never run me off like in Henderson.

I consider the homeless in the parks, at that hour, to be quite harmless. And my ferret always seems to dis-arm strangers, as I have yet to run into someone else walking a ferret at night.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:03 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,491,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
We were very surprised at how well the parks in the valley were maintained. We only frequent a couple (and one is basically a walking path around a drainage basin), but always impeccably maintained. I like Sunset Park very much, both for walking and weekend softball games.

Sunset Park was once a beautiful park but nowadays it is like a ghetto in there. Sure it has recent additions to the park but the feel of Sunset Park has changed.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:14 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,491,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
It can get pretty spooky walking around Sunset Park between 2-4am, when I usually walk my ferret, the near absence of lights down there. I let the sounds of the ducks be my guide to getting to the lake, as I might get lost otherwise.

Desert Breeze is more lighted, but the police have never run me off like in Henderson.

I consider the homeless in the parks, at that hour, to be quite harmless. And my ferret always seems to dis-arm strangers, as I have yet to run into someone else walking a ferret at night.

Desert Breeze in Spring Valley is a beautiful park day and night with the best view of the Strip. Desert Breeze still has more space to expand if we could only get Susan Brager's head out of her a$$ and start developing the vacant huge tracts of land surrounding Desert Breeze. The land on Durango/Flamingo, Desert Inn/Cimarron and Spring Mountain/Cimarron are all part of Desert Breeze Park. Overall, Spring Valley has numerous beautiful parks in its boundaries. Another park worth mentioning with a nice view of the Strip is Charlie Frias Park, also in Spring Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: