Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 02:17 PM

176 posts, read 264,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Read this: 5 Experts Answer: Can Your IQ Change? | Intelligence Tests & IQ Scores

I was told to expect a roughly ten point drop in test scores from my early childhood through adolescence. And then it would level out somewhat (barring accidents) for the remainder of my adult life. That's pretty-much how it's worked out.
Nothing in that article validates your erroneous claim that children IQ scores are certain to drop as he/she gets older. The article does validate what I've been telling you this whole time however. That children IQ tests are less accurate than adult IQ tests. So it is possible for someone's IQ to change somewhat as they get older. BOTH higher or lower. But as far as the proportion of children with 165+ IQ and the proportion of adults with 165+ IQ, this would be identical assuming both the children IQ test and adult IQ test is using the same SD.

Do you understand standard deviations and its relationship to IQ? Do you understand the 68-95-99.7 rule? Because if you did, you would realize why both children IQ test and adult IQ will have the same proportion at a certain IQ level. Why the percentage of children with 165+ IQ would be identical to the percentage of adults with 165+ IQ. This is a statistical certainty because of IQ's correlation with standard deviations.

Last edited by FrostyToasty; 06-09-2015 at 02:25 PM..

Old 06-09-2015, 02:32 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
I learned about standard deviation because of these silly tests.

Since IQ is measured based in part on the age of the person taking the test, the score itself becomes very, very age sensitive. Eventually actual age catches up to mental age -- it's inevitable when you think about it.

I'm still of the mind that these numbers simply aren't worth very much. I suppose it's better than trying to measure intellect with a dipstick. But not much better. (If these scores really meant something, Marilyn vos Savant would have done something more substantial than "advice columnist." And there's always the cautionary tale of William James Sidis.)

But what really matters is what options do the parents of one of these kids have. In Las Vegas, options fall somewhere between "diddly" and "squat."

Old 06-09-2015, 02:51 PM

698 posts, read 986,216 times
Here's my experience. Moved here from a very good school in California, son attend one year of elementary school and had a great teacher, teacher really cared about his students but also wasn't afraid to scare the hell out of the students regarding how difficult middle school and education after that would be. Really liked this guy, didn't seem to buy into a lot of the PC bull and coddling of these kids, he really got my sons attention.

Next year (2013-2014) son went to middle school, that year my son's school was named a 5 star school. He has great teachers, good counselor and has done well there. He's in 3 or 4 advanced placement classes. Just finished-up his second year there and had another great year.

In addition to good teachers we are heavily involved in his education. On top of him in terms of homework, class work, monitor his grades on-line. If we have any questions or issues we contact his teachers. During open house we make a point to get on the teachers radar, introduce ourselves etc, we attend all parent teacher conferences like meetings. We email regularly with his teachers and are involved. My wife doesn't work so this helps.

When we moved here in 2012 we researched the elementary schools. When we confirmed we'd be staying in Vegas and purchased our home in 2013 we researched his middle school (turns out he stayed in the middle school his elementary school fed). I not only researched we reached out to parents who had kids attending these schools.

In addition to experience in the California and Nevada school system I have two children who live in Utah and attended elementary, middle and high school there; one who just graduated from high school and another who is a Jr. at University. From middle school on both these kids maintained 4.0 GPAs. So my point with this is I have a some experience with school districts outside of Nevada.

In my first hand experience.opinion, for my children's educational experience there was little to no difference between California, Utah and Nevada. The one constant here was our approach to education and taking on responsibility insuring that 1) they go to good schools in the district and 2) taking a hands on approach to their education and not just leaving it up to the school district to education my children.

This has worked for us here, California and in Utah.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:55 PM

256 posts, read 321,084 times
Scoop, what's your affiliation with the school district? Please share.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:54 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
The last thing this board needs is yet another debate thread about the school system in Las Vegas. Let's try to stick with helping the OP, or it will be closed.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:13 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
I don't too many people here would care about their methodology. Fairness only matters if your kid is stuck on the downside of an unfair situation. In point of fact, someone's job as a parent is to get their kid on the upside.

In point of fact, one of the problems with the school system in Clark County is that it's too fair. It needs at least one, if not more, districts in the richer areas that are better funded, as to attract more rich people with kids to those areas. The fact that the funding for Clark County is so centralized and widely distributed dilutes the effect of the funding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post

And so that this doesn't degenerate into a [urination] contest about an utterly useless number, here's a great report on the state of public schools. As usual, we're near the bottom in everything except funding redistribution. Nevada is GREAT at taking Clark County taxes and giving that money to rural Nevadans. That's the only thing we do well.

[scribd]268014496[/scribd]

Old 06-10-2015, 02:34 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post

In point of fact, one of the problems with the school system in Clark County is that it's too fair.
Do you read? I'm beginning to think that you don't. If you read the replies, you wouldn't call Clark County too fair. "Oh, the humanity! The fairness of our school systems is overwhelming!"

This article, that I am now linking for the THIRD time is all about fairness in education. Nevada gets an F.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/268014496/...ir-4th-Edition

It is easy to see WHY Nevada gets an F. Our tax policy combined with how the money gets distributed is why we get an F. Dead last in many categories -- as usual.

But that does absolutely nothing for the fact that there aren't any gifted programs in this city. I've been advocating for some forever. Not that it's ever, ever, going to happen. Robbing from the poor and giving to the rich isn't going to create a gifted program. We likely have a few hundred students who would benefit. But this would require creating a brand new school, just for them.

And if we did, special snowflake parents who desperately want their children to be considered gifted because they think it is a positive reflection upon themselves would ruin admissions. These parents would make sure that nepotism and wealth trumped ability.

There is no improving this system. It is wholly rotten. Attempts to fix CCSD is like giving CPR to a skeleton. It might make the people doing the "rescuing" feel good about themselves. But it is an utter waste of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas