Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2015, 06:27 AM

247 posts, read 254,311 times

Advertisements

looking to get a built in entertainment center,can anyone recommend a company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 09:24 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,074,309 times
Wooditis.com - Custom Woodworking by Jamie Ann Yocono - Specializing in Tables and Benches - I've taken classes with Jamie and in addition to teaching she runs her own shop and builds custom pieces of all different types. If she can't do it herself, she will point you in the right direction.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:39 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
This is basically the same as the custom cabinet thread. The answer is unfortunately, "Learn to do it yourself or pay through the nose."

If you like oak or maple, you can get the pre-made, unfinished cabinets at the big box store and use that as the bare bones for the entertainment center. Again, this isn't going to save you much compared to hiring someone to do it all from scratch.

Considering that cabinets are mostly empty space, they cost a TON of money.

And again, this and the staircase is why I learned how to do this myself. (The one company that bid on my stairs gave me an estimate of $50,000. I did it myself for $2,000.)

Old 06-16-2015, 10:49 AM

638 posts, read 594,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post

And again, this and the staircase is why I learned how to do this myself. (The one company that bid on my stairs gave me an estimate of $50,000. I did it myself for $2,000.)
How long did it take you to learn to a good enough standard that you could make a stair case?! Thats very impressive.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:12 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
I learn as I go.

The stairs took months. And mistakes were made -- so those pieces were discarded and redone until it was right. (I may be an amateur woodworker. But I'm a professional perfectionist.)

I was still able to buy an entire cabinet shop full of tools and do the cabinets, the entertainment center, a house full of furniture and the stairs for less than half of what the stairs would have cost me. (I bought the shop full of tools from a shop that went out of business during the crash.)

I learned by reading, watching New Yankee Workshop and Wood Works.

This isn't something that I enjoy. It's just that I cannot abide paying $10,000 for a dining room table when I can make it for $1,000.

I've found that the two main reasons people don't do this in greater numbers is fear and economy. They're afraid they might screw up so badly they they do permanent damage to their house. Or they're afraid they might lose a finger (or worse). Or they cannot justify buying quality tools for one single job -- and that one is absolutely valid. It makes no sense to spend five figures on tools to knock out a $5,000 job.

Luckily, I always have projects going. So the tool expenditure has saved me a ton while I've lived here. And when I leave, I'm packing all the tools in a shipping container and taking them with me. I have decades of woodworking still in me.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:18 PM

247 posts, read 254,311 times
definitely something I wouldn't attempt to do,so guess I'll be throwing my life savings at this project lol

Hopefully it won't go over 5k

Old 06-16-2015, 03:22 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
DM sent.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:50 AM

687 posts, read 4,405,573 times
Funny this thread popping up now, because just this morning, my wife is removing our large entertainment system.
My brother owned a custom cabinet shop a few years ago and did many custom built in entertainment systems, wine cabinets, libraries, etc.
When my Mom let her house go a few years ago, we removed her built in entertainment system that my brother built into her house and we moved it to our house. I was at one point supposed to wall it into our house and never got around to doing that, besides it looks too big for our living room. it's made to hold a large 70" TV and that's what we have in it now. We decided to just hang the TV on the wall and mount speakers into the wall instead.
I'm going to give the cabinet away if anyone wants it. It removes in several large sections and is heavy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas