Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 09:24 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
So you think it's ok for the government to take from me as long as it doesn't effect you.

You don't really think that wont lead to them doing the same to you?

I suppose in the early 40's in Germany your advice would be "don't be a Jew"
What a drama queen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 09:56 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
I'm not going to pay the new cigarette taxes but I'm going to continue to smoke! I'm totally unaffected by it, even if they raise the cigarette tax to $5 a pack!

You're exempted if you roll your own! Been doing that for 13 years!

Buy a $13-14-15 bag of smooth cigar tobacco, buy a box of empty filtered cigarettes ($2), dry the tobacco on cookie sheets for a few days, crush the tobacco with your hands, and sift it into the tubes. I can now do 4 cigarettes at a time, while watching TV.

Now, if you buy the cigarette tobacco, you're looking at $42 for a one pound bag, and I find little difference between smooth cigar tobacco and cigarette tobacco! And, not only that, the Indian tobacco is largely chemical free, so you're not smoking the poison sticks they sell in the stores, loaded with chemicals. And you can also order bags of tobacco, online, from the Native Americans.

These miscalculating idiots in Carson City are hopeful this tax will raise $350 million, but let's not spend the money, build the buildings, until it arrives.

The smoking tourists who have come here to load up on cartons of cigarettes to take back with them to NY or other high tobacco tax states, we'll miss some of that revenue! According to one article, we've been a big supplier of smuggled cigarettes into AZ due to their $2 a pack tax, and we'll be missing that revenue as well, as the Mexicans will now jump in and fill that void! And, how many will just start rolling their own or take to vaping!

$350 million projected revenues? I'll believe that when Lake Mead rises 50 feet this summer!

Old 06-17-2015, 10:04 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
What a drama queen.
Oh , please. I've lived in SLC, and I was legit punk in the eighties. Does SLCPunk = drinking coffee?

Old 06-17-2015, 10:21 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Oh , please. I've lived in SLC, and I was legit punk in the eighties. Does SLCPunk = drinking coffee?
I'm guessing it's more like ringing the doorbell of the stake president and then running away.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:15 AM

775 posts, read 776,559 times
The most reliable tax in this state!

Old 06-18-2015, 02:09 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
Quote:
I don't care for social engineering by my government. Once people start quitting because big brother told them to via taxes, the tax revenue addicted government will move on to something else they don't really like. Maybe something you like.
Notice that I said the cigarette taxes could help those that smoke that may be trying to quit. An aid of a sort. And incentive. They only quit if THEY want to and had been planning it, not because some government expects them to with the new taxes.

The government already taxes things i like, shopping. I hate taxes, but it's a personal thing.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:12 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,626,903 times
Quote:
So you think it's ok for the government to take from me as long as it doesn't effect you.

You don't really think that wont lead to them doing the same to you?

I suppose in the early 40's in Germany your advice would be "don't be a Jew"
You CAN choose whether or not you smoke.
You CANNOT choose your ethnicity... Unless your name is Rachel Dolezal lol... Then you can be a whitish blackish president of an NAACP chapter.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:18 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,578,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
You CAN choose whether or not you smoke.
You CANNOT choose your ethnicity... Unless your name is Rachel Dolezal lol... Then you can be a whitish blackish president of an NAACP chapter.
Extrapolated out, you could apply that logic to a lot of unpleasant scenarios. The point is, government should not strong arm people into doing what it wants and then throw out a false choice in order to make it seem it is not forcing it's will .

Old 06-18-2015, 09:28 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
I would so love to see it sometime, these legislators with their projected income scenario's, with an increase in the cigarette tax, and? Everybody just quit!

That $350 million then, some earmarked for the new UNLV medical school, how else would they raise that money?

In England, they went overboard, in the 90's, raising cigarette taxes, the black market moved in, and to squelch the black market, they had to lower the cigarette taxes!

Old 06-18-2015, 09:31 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times
I wonder what the reaction would be if they raised the gas tax by $1 per gallon. Simple, right? Just stop driving! Completely avoidable tax
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas