Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 09:13 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,680,050 times

Advertisements

Just like you love Rock, Classical, or Pop.

Local folks seem to be emitting a lot of hatred for tourists coming into town for the EDC festival, citing all the drug violations, vandalism, and drunk behaviors. In the end, with 100K plus visitors, the bad stats are just a spec of concern and not an anomaly for large concert events.

Most of these locals are older and never been exposed to it as in a lifestyle with friends, people and community.

I am not part of the young 20's, but I do enjoy my EDM.

I started listening to EDM aka Euro-House/Trance/Techno music back in the early 1990's. I went to EDM clubs well into my 30's. I see the evolution. The music is very much the same, the lifestyle around it has evolved into big venues. Major pop artists have collaborated to create EDM tracks. EDM tracks frequent make the top 10 Billboard overall list. Celebrity EDM DJs (as much as some of you hate them) are here to stay.

Older generations will stick to what they hold dearly in their hearts musically. I understand that, and I am not that young myself. Just don't go about creating a hatred and divide for music you have the lowest preferences for.

Just like racist is the term for someone who is prejudice against another race. Is there some treatment for those who are against other music styles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 09:18 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post
Just like you love Rock, Classical, or Pop.

Local folks seem to be emitting a lot of hatred for tourists coming into town for the EDC festival, citing all the drug violations, vandalism, and drunk behaviors. In the end, with 100K plus visitors, the bad stats are just a spec of concern and not an anomaly for large concert events.

Most of these locals are older and never been exposed to it as in a lifestyle with friends, people and community.

I am not part of the young 20's, but I do enjoy my EDM.

I started listening to EDM aka Euro-House/Trance/Techno music back in the early 1990's. I went to EDM clubs well into my 30's. I see the evolution. The music is very much the same, the lifestyle around it has evolved into big venues. Major pop artists have collaborated to create EDM tracks. Celebrity EDM DJs (as much as some of you hate them) are here to stay.

Older generations will stick to what they hold dearly in their hearts musically. I understand that, and I am not that young myself. Just don't go about creating a hatred and divide for music you have the lowest preferences for.

Just like racist is the term for someone who is prejudice against another race. Is there some treatment for those who are against other music styles?
Yes, it's called "taste". I certainly welcome all of the strung out 16 year olds, as they spend money by the hundreds of millions, therefore keeping my taxes ridiculously, and inconceivably low, it's just not my "taste" in music.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:20 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,118,948 times
I don't like edm. I don't like pop. I loathe rap.
I love a bustling economy, and that involves catering to all the people who enjoy the things I find distasteful. So, as long as the crappy music is not piped into my house, I could not care less about the concert.

I also feel that all drugs should be 100% legal and taxed. Think of the revenue we could bring in with such common sense tax rules, not to mention the decreased spending on housing for low level drug offenders.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:21 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I love a bustling economy, and that involves catering to all the people who enjoy the things I find distasteful. So, as long as the crappy music is not piped into my house, I could not care less about the concert.

I also feel that all drugs should be 100% legal and taxed. Think of the revenue we could bring in with such common sense tax rules, not to mention the decreased spending on housing for low level drug offenders.
I agree 100% on every single count.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:35 PM

I'm different from you in the sense, I am open. I don't have any bad taste towards any style.

I don't know much about rock music, but I thoroughly enjoyed RTRV taking coworkers there.

I enjoy any music that is pleasant to my brain. It's really on a piece by piece basis. I don't just categorically phase out something.

If you listen to some of the EDM tracks, you will realize they are deep in meaning. Radiohead was instrumental in bridging electronic music with rock. Avicii's tracks have exposed the younger generation to blue grass, where they normally wouldn't have ventured.

My favorite Avicii track is called The Nights and one of the lyric lines goes:

He said, "One day you'll leave this world behind
So live a life you will remember."
My father told me when I was just a child
These are the nights that never die

Just a great reminder everytime I listen to this track, to do things and live a life I will remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Yes, it's called "taste". I certainly welcome all of the strung out 16 year olds, as they spend money by the hundreds of millions, therefore keeping my taxes ridiculously, and inconceivably low, it's just not my "taste" in music.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:43 PM

EDC brought in $20million in tax revenue from $300million. That's pretty insane for 3 day event.

These type of events are the future for Las Vegas. Locals should embrace it like they embrace their wallets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post

Old 06-14-2015, 09:47 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,812,265 times
I'm not sure where this "hatred" for EDM is coming from. I hang out at many diverse music venues and don't encounter it. And, I'm not seeing hate expressed in these (or other) Las Vegas forums either.

Am I missing something? Has someone been giving you a hard time about your musical choices? If so, simply remind them it's like any other artistic choice - beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It's no skin off your back if you like EDM and others don't.

As with all things in life, don't let the turkeys get you down.

I like hard-core Rap and think Biggie and Tupac were geniuses. Yeah, I take some flack for it - but who cares? I enjoy it just the same. Others don't determine what I listen to. I like many other musical genres as well. The only music I don't like is Opera - but I can understand why others do like it. And, I don't give people who like Opera a bad time.

Added on edit: I attended one night of EDC last year. A staffer (and friend) got me in and showed me around. It was fun - but I really don't see doing it for more than a night. 'Course, I usually don't like to do any event more than one night. If she invites me again I'd go.

Bill

Last edited by UTES; 06-14-2015 at 09:58 PM..

Old 06-15-2015, 12:37 AM

625 posts, read 797,331 times
I like edm but really dont see the point in going to EDC unless you are totally in a different state of mind. I'd have to do something to keep me up til 6am. I dont work nightshift so a night of that would put me down for the count for an additional day haha.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:27 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,118,948 times
Anything people can do to make money to keep people here employed is cool with me.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:36 AM

111 posts, read 166,350 times
Default Room rates...

My only problem with the EDC is how it falls on the same weekend as the IECSC convention. I used to come out every summer for that convention, but EDC causes room rates to skyrocket. Last time I went, I ended up staying out at the Westin in Lake Las Vegas, as it's rooms were the same rate as the Fremont Hotel, $125/night, cheapest I could find. At least the drive into town from the lake was nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas