Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 10:42 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else?

Before 8AM this morning, I hear a knock on the door. I'm asleep so it takes a minute for me to wake up and the dogs are barking like crazy. I get up and look out the peep hole, no one there. In the interest of getting a couple more hours sleep, I let the dogs out in the back yard. I'm heading back to the front door to check for packages/see if someone left something at the door.

The dogs started barking for real and I knew there was a problem. I run out to the back yard and they have 2 young men cornered. They have those yellow vests on and a methane meter. I call the dogs off and tell them to leave. I get the dogs under control, go back out and they are gone. I go out front to get the license number on their truck, hoping to see a SW Gas vehicle and nothing there. I was going to talk to them, check their ID's, and get their license number. Stood and watched in the street and didn't see them. I have no idea if they were bitten but it's a distinct possibility.

To get into my back yard they had to climb the fence or climb over the gate. The gate is locked and you need a key to open it.

Seems like I get these gas line inspections a couple times a year and I have let them in the yard in the past. But this would be a great way to scam/rob people. Anyone can buy safety vests and a methane monitor. Is this really a normal thing? I am not aware of this being done anyplace but here.

Assuming these guys are legit, this is risky business and I don't think you could pay me enough to do this. All I have are guard dogs who did exactly what they are supposed to do. They cornered the intruders and alerted me. What if they break in to someone's back yard and the homeowner shoots them?

I called SW Gas and of course they can tell me nothing. All they can offer to do is have someone who supervises their contractors call me in the next couple days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 10:50 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Eight years and I have never noticed this. But my gas line, valves and similar are near the street, unobstructed, and quite visible and accessible.

SW Gas has never sent me any notice of such inspections. And I agree that it's only a matter of time before someone is shot over this. And the homeowner who does the shooting is going to walk because this is ridiculous. My outside gate, too, is locked. Anyone in my back yard had better be in obvious distress or they are putting their life in grave danger.

A clipboard and a safety vest is little more than urban camouflage. I wouldn't even trust ID from the gas company. Who knows off the top of their head what a legitimate SW employee ID looks like? I could easily whip up something convincing with Photoshop and my printer.

If legitimate, this could be solved with a letter:

"Dear gas customer:

Over the next few months Southwest gas will be conducting routine leak detection. Our employees have been trained to identify themselves. This is what an employee ID looks like. You can call our toll free "Who is This in my Yard" number at 800-GAS-INSP.

Thanks!

PS -- Remember that a gas leak smells like flatulence."

Old 07-02-2015, 11:06 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
Wait, you're saying that 2 guys, supposedly from SW Gas JUMPED YOUR FENCE?

That would never, ever, ever happen if it was legit.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:12 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Wait, you're saying that 2 guys, supposedly from SW Gas JUMPED YOUR FENCE?

That would never, ever, ever happen if it was legit.
You wouldn't believe the stupid [excrement] people routinely do here. I agree with "probably not legitimate." (And then that begs the question, "What were they really doing in the back yard?")

But, if true, this wouldn't even be in the top-20 of "Dumbest Las Vegas utility and delivery worker stunts." They may be counting on that fact to throw homeowners off guard. And it's no surprise that SW Gas isn't helpful. If they admit the people are employees, they're admitting negligence. And if not, they're admitting that people are disguising themselves as gas workers to [who knows what they had planned].

It's lose-lose for the gas company, lose-lose for the homeowner, and win-win for criminals.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:05 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,931,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post

PS -- Remember that a gas leak smells like flatulence."
I don't want to know what you've been eating

Old 07-02-2015, 12:07 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Chapter 2

I finally got a manager at SW Gas in customer service. I explained I really needed to know if these guys were legit and if they were bitten. If they were not legit, I needed to talk to the police/law enforcement. I couldn't wait for a couple days for them to call me back.

After a few back and forths she called me back and told me they were legit. Their take on the matter is that the meter is their property and they can access it whenever they please. And yes, they will go over your locked gate and 'break in' to your back yard. I can understand this if there is an emergency but this was an annual inspection. They don't know yet if the guys were bitten and the construction manager is still supposed to call me back.

They do not have to make an appointment, notify you or ask permission to enter your property. They will make a note on my account that I want to be notified buy they are not obligated to do so.

This scares the hell out of me. How long will it be before one of these kids, probably working for nothing, gets his/her head blown off? Or seriously injured by a dog, tiger, etc in someone's back yard.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:24 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Chapter 2

I finally got a manager at SW Gas in customer service. I explained I really needed to know if these guys were legit and if they were bitten. If they were not legit, I needed to talk to the police/law enforcement. I couldn't wait for a couple days for them to call me back.

After a few back and forths she called me back and told me they were legit. Their take on the matter is that the meter is their property and they can access it whenever they please. And yes, they will go over your locked gate and 'break in' to your back yard. I can understand this if there is an emergency but this was an annual inspection. They don't know yet if the guys were bitten and the construction manager is still supposed to call me back.

They do not have to make an appointment, notify you or ask permission to enter your property. They will make a note on my account that I want to be notified buy they are not obligated to do so.

This scares the hell out of me. How long will it be before one of these kids, probably working for nothing, gets his/her head blown off? Or seriously injured by a dog, tiger, etc in someone's back yard.
And it would serve them right. Quick way to have policy changed!

Old 07-02-2015, 12:43 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,580,255 times
Or worse yet, you end up with your dogs euthanized because they bit someone in your own backyard.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:24 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
in general a utility easement does not require permission to access it.

And if you shoot a worker you will end up convicted.
If so
I would think your dog can eat one though.

Old 07-02-2015, 03:35 PM

188 posts, read 357,979 times
Something similar happened here. The gas company came because of an issue in the area. They did NOT knock first. I hear a noise on the side of the house and my dog is barking. I look out and see a man climbing over the gate. I yell to my DH and he goes running out and the guy says he is a gas worker checking the meter. We were really upset that they just come in your yard with no notice. We saw him do the same to the rest of the block. We checked and the gas company said yes there was a problem in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: