Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 04:08 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,275,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCOWPB View Post
Las Vegas will evolve, I have faith in that. And the reason I say that is cuz the Dubai comparison was brought up. Take it from someone who used to live in the UAE, tacky as both Vegas and Dubai may be, the idiots over in the UAE are a breed of their own. When Dubai/ Abu Dhabi goes **** up I'm going to be shrugging indifferently

(I lived there through no choice of my own, I went to school there and lived there cuz of my dad's job, also lived in Saudi too, most of my childhood was spent in the Middle East from like 1996-2005 when I graduated high school)
We considered moving to Dubai for the past several years. There are more foreigners living there than locals. They offer good packages for western educated doctors to practice medicine there and they need more specialized doctors. They pay them western pay competitive for their market with annual airfare tickets, vacation time, housing, visa costs and reimbursement credit for the cost of putting your kids in school there.

However, I read that you have to pay for a license to drink alcohol there and they're very strict on drugs. I've read news articles saying that if you're just transiting through their airport and they discover the pinpoint of a needle of marijuana on you then you go to prison there. Plus on the dubai expats forum I'd read about people concerned picking up women in night clubs to take home and also concerns about living with their significant other prior to marriage getting people in serious trouble there. They say they're "a family oriented" society.

Did you know they're building their own version of the LV Strip there called Dubailand? Start at 13:30 in the video and you'll see they're building a version that is 4 times bigger than Las Vegas, bigger than the size of Birmingham. It has life size replicas of the eiffel tower, big ben, the pyramids, taj mahal, ferrari land, a Universal Studios Dubai version, a FIFA approved football complex, ect, ect, ect. It will be completed in 7 years. If you watch the entire video it also gets briefly into their concern about a credit crunch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahdfA_DJ-0A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 09:52 PM

146 posts, read 220,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
We considered moving to Dubai for the past several years. There are more foreigners living there than locals. They offer good packages for western educated doctors to practice medicine there and they need more specialized doctors. They pay them western pay competitive for their market with annual airfare tickets, vacation time, housing, visa costs and reimbursement credit for the cost of putting your kids in school there.

However, I read that you have to pay for a license to drink alcohol there and they're very strict on drugs. I've read news articles saying that if you're just transiting through their airport and they discover the pinpoint of a needle of marijuana on you then you go to prison there. Plus on the dubai expats forum I'd read about people concerned picking up women in night clubs to take home and also concerns about living with their significant other prior to marriage getting people in serious trouble there. They say they're "a family oriented" society.

Did you know they're building their own version of the LV Strip there called Dubailand? Start at 13:30 in the video and you'll see they're building a version that is 4 times bigger than Las Vegas, bigger than the size of Birmingham. It has life size replicas of the eiffel tower, big ben, the pyramids, taj mahal, ferrari land, a Universal Studios Dubai version, a FIFA approved football complex, ect, ect, ect. It will be completed in 7 years. If you watch the entire video it also gets briefly into their concern about a credit crunch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahdfA_DJ-0A
God, what a bunch of tools.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:35 PM

550 posts, read 637,395 times
If they are, they are NUTS! Their main source of water, if I am not mistaken is via desalination.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:17 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,810,038 times
Yeah, those silly Arabs - building a metropolis in the desert. We'd never do that.

Bill

Old 07-30-2015, 11:41 PM

550 posts, read 637,395 times
We're ALL nuts!

Old 09-01-2015, 01:16 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,275,915 times
Add another local brewery to the downtown local brewery scavenger hunt list idea. I pictured them going more on the other side of Fremont St. near lawyers row to create the Village and brewery atmosphere for local residents but it's alright. I put an approximate location of where Tenaya Creek Brewery is going on Bonanza based on the information in the article. I also quoted a prior post so you could see the map I did for the other breweries in the area.

I wish however they were also keeping their original Northwest location across from Mountain View Hospital while opening a bigger operation Downtown and allow the NW and Downtown to grow in tandem this unique local's vibe.

Big business beer: Tenaya Creek relocating downtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
Ok, so I looked up Banger's Brew, one of LV local craft brews downtown, to get a reference point. You could even include the Main Street Station and Brewery and the Triple 7 Restaurant and Microbrewery in the Downtown Brewery scavenger hunt tour and have two - three places to start with and then expand down the Blvd.

Last edited by Merrily Gather; 09-01-2015 at 01:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: