Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 08:42 AM

69 posts, read 115,964 times

Advertisements

I'll admit, I feel I was one of those people who let the illusion of vacationing here trick me into wanting to move here. Also, my spouses family lives here (has for a long time), so we also had that. Not to mention they spoke highly of living here compared to the east coast, and other cities where cost of living is more expensive. I guess its easier to hype up a place that you've been majority of your life.

But its really depressing moving here. Unless you have a job lined up, or have connections be prepared to take at least 2-4 months job hunting. For every job opening there are at least 100 applicants. I had a job lined up but my spouse didn't. I've never lived anywhere that has a public transportation system but certain jobs won't hire you unless you have a car. Even though a bus stop is 10 feet away. If you're bilingual, that will help boost up your chances. They cater to the Mexican community here.

Public schools are a joke. a bigger joke than anywhere else.

There is really nothing to do but gamble, see shows if anything good is out, party, swim if youre lucky to have a pool, or walk the strip or Fremont street. WHICH WILL GET OLD FAST. And before any vegas locals jump on here to defend this comment, yes... I've done more than visit the strip. There is nothing social outside of these options. Once you're about 5 miles outside of the fun there is nothing but suburbs, desert, mountains, and fast food joints.

Drivers are retarted. You are guaranteed a fender bender at most within your first year living here.

Unless you like burgers and Mexican food, cook at home.

Yes, cost of living is cheaper, the weather is nice (OCTOBER THROUGH APRIL), and violent crime is laughable compared to where im from. Unless you sell drugs, do drugs, or just hang around the wrong people you will be fine. Las Vegas can be a good place to live, but it isn't as perfect as the locals make it seem. You will not escape your problems moving here. Unless you have family or friends already, you will be lonely. There is no culture here, its a tourist hot spot for a reason. Just as many people move in as they move out.

My conclusion? Think before you move here. chances are you'll be packing it up within 5 yrs anyway.

Last edited by cityflower; 07-29-2015 at 08:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 08:45 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityflower View Post
I'll admit, I feel I was one of those people who let the illusion of vacationing here trick me into wanting to move here. Also, my spouses family lives here (has for a long time), so we also had that. Not to mention they spoke highly of living here compared to the east coast, and other cities where cost of living is more expensive. I guess its easier to hype up a place that you've been majority of your life.

But its really depressing moving here. Unless you have a job lined up, or have connections be prepared to take at least 2-4 months job hunting. If you're bilingual, that will help boost up your chances. They cater to the Mexican community here.

There is really nothing to do but gamble, see shows if anything good is out, party, swim if youre lucky to have a pool, or walk the strip or Fremont street. WHICH WILL GET OLD FAST. And before any vegas locals jump on here to defend this comment, yes... I've done more than visit the strip. There is nothing social outside of these options. Once you're about 5 miles outside of the fun there is nothing but suburbs, desert, mountains, and fast food joints.

Drivers are retarted. You are guaranteed a fender bender at most within your first year living here.

Unless you like burgers and Mexican food, cook at home.

Yes, cost of living is cheaper, the weather is nice (OCTOBER THROUGH APRIL), and violent crime is laughable compared to where im from. Unless you sell drugs, do drugs, or just hang around the wrong people you will be fine. Las Vegas can be a good place to live, but it isn't as perfect as the locals make it seem. You will not escape your problems moving here. Unless you have family or friends already, you will be lonely. There is no culture here, its a tourist hot spot for a reason. Just as many people move in as they move out.

My conclusion? Think before you move here. chances are you'll be packing it up within 5 yrs anyway.
Sorry it didn't work out... Hope you find your happy place.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:50 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
I wish it was only five years. I'm going on eight.

For me it's like an open-ended prison sentence. At least we have the Smith Center now. I didn't think gambling was fun when I moved here. And the more I see of it, the less I like it.

My advice is to get out of Las Vegas as often as you can. I was just in Mexico last week -- it's a five-hour drive. I go to Zion and Montezuma's Castle and Mt. Charleston and Jerome, AZ (I love it there), and San Francisco and Napa and Hawaii (five hour flight) every chance I get.

I take multiple trips each year. Most of them aren't expensive. They're just long-weekend type trips to Bryce or Moab or Jerome. Leave Las Vegas often. It gives you something to look forward to while you count the days until you can leave permanently.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Sorry it didn't work out... Hope you find your happy place.
Meh, we are still holding out for a bit longer. I gave up a lot to move out here, so I cant exactly turn around and go back. But I will at some point. This isn't forever.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I wish it was only five years. I'm going on eight.

For me it's like an open-ended prison sentence. At least we have the Smith Center now. I didn't think gambling was fun when I moved here. And the more I see of it, the less I like it.

My advice is to get out of Las Vegas as often as you can. I was just in Mexico last week -- it's a five-hour drive. I go to Zion and Montezuma's Castle and Mt. Charleston and Jerome, AZ (I love it there), and San Francisco and Napa and Hawaii (five hour flight) every chance I get.

I take multiple trips each year. Most of them aren't expensive. They're just long-weekend type trips to Bryce or Moab or Jerome. Leave Las Vegas often. It gives you something to look forward to while you count the days until you can leave permanently.
The cheap living is the only real reason people move here. vegas offers nothing else.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:12 AM

698 posts, read 985,892 times
Obviously it's not for everyone. The beauty is you can move elsewhere, it's a big world out there. I lived in a city I despised, hated, talk about lack of culture and things to do. It's funny, when you asked people what they liked about the city it was the proximity to other cities, locations and national parks that they liked so much, nothing in the city itself LOL.

Didn't like it so I moved to someplace that works for me, here. I came here and rented for the first year just in-case I didn't like it, then I could move someplace else. Happened to like it so I stayed. Don't understand the mentality of "having" to stay anywhere unless you're stationed here with the military. Other than that find a place that works for you and be happy, life is far to short. No location is or everyone. I know a guy who moved here from Maui and he had a list of reasons he hated Maui of all places . . .

Old 07-29-2015, 09:12 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times
Quote:
The cheap living is the only real reason people move here. vegas offers nothing else.
Aww, that's sad Hope you find the place that offers you everything you desire. Life's too short to be miserable every day. I experienced similar feelings for a short time about New England. Fortunately I was able to find a place that offers me everything I want, with the exception of an ocean in my backyard. Luckily, we live in a very large country, so maybe there's a place you'll fit in. If I were you, I would try to find that place sooner than later, as it feels great to wake up every day in a place you love.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:26 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,551,499 times
So OP where are you planning on heading to next?

Old 07-29-2015, 09:28 AM

638 posts, read 594,129 times
Quote:

Drivers are retarted.
I'll admit that made me chuckle!

Serious question though. Do you have any friends? having an active social life makes a difference. -and what is your idea of fun?

Old 07-29-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
I'll admit that made me chuckle!

Serious question though. Do you have any friends? having an active social life makes a difference. -and what is your idea of fun?

We have family, but they are busy most of the time, so we are basically homebodies.

Its weird you ask that, because although back home wasn't a fun filled wonderland, we were never in the house this much. I also think it stems from everything in Vegas being so far, and the heat during the summer months make you want to stay inside. then when the heat dies down, you just don't care to do anything. When I said there is nothing to do here, I was speaking on how a lot of locals hype up the social scene here because its Vegas, when really, outside of being a tourist, there isn't one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas