Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 08:56 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,829,220 times

Advertisements

Mebbe it has to do with all these folks posting on internet message boards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 08:58 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,120,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
Mebbe it has to do with all these folks posting on internet message boards?

The post that jab is referring to went over your head. The suicide rate is high because so many people lack logic.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
The post that jab is referring to went over your head. The suicide rate is high because so many people lack logic.
Logic has nothing to do with it. Irrational beliefs are the key to understanding LV high suicide rate.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,100 times
Probably cause they gambled all their money and there regretting it

Old 07-28-2015, 09:57 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
2 possibilities:

Someone who moved here with Sin City stuck in their heads, from a state with medical marijuana dispensaries, and found out the first dispensary won't be opening up here until the Clark County Commissioners get their act together! Euphoria, in Henderson, to finally open in 2017?

Californian's who moved here, badly miscalculated, sold their over-priced homes to buy a much bigger house here, during the boom times, and are now underwater, desperately want to move back to California, with even higher house prices, and they're unable to do so now!

Any other possibilities?

Old 07-28-2015, 10:14 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,280,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Any other possibilities?
Losing the battle with addiction in Sin City. Name your vice.

I say that because I've had several friends over the years commit suicide do to their alcohol addiction. Not in Sin City though, but I can imagine it probably has a lot to do with it here.

I thought Seattle was the suicide capitol of the United States? At least we were told that for like the past 20 years.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:45 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,812,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
I thought Seattle was the suicide capitol of the United States?
Yeah, it's not Las Vegas at the top. The OP is in error. I think the bad info comes from a Business Insider article that didn't use the compiled fed stats - the authors just decided on their own Las Vegas sucked.

Salt Lake City, considered one of the most "moral" American cities where most "sin" is illegal has a higher suicide rate than Las Vegas.

Bill

Old 07-28-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post
Yeah, it's not Las Vegas at the top. The OP is in error. I think the bad info comes from a Business Insider article that didn't use the compiled fed stats - the authors just decided on their own Las Vegas sucked.

Salt Lake City, considered one of the most "moral" American cities where most "sin" is illegal has a higher suicide rate than Las Vegas.

Bill

According to a study published in the journal Social Science and Medicine, Las Vegas is the true suicide capital of the US, followed by Colorado Springs, Tuscon and a list of other cities that don't include Seattle. Among states, Alaska tops the list.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:53 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,059,499 times
Here is a good explanation on the high suicide rate in Las Vegas. It has nothing to do with gambling.

Las Vegas: The Suicide Capital Of America : NPR

Old 07-29-2015, 01:12 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,998,833 times
From the story....

"Residents of Las Vegas who leave Las Vegas — that is, they take some kind of hiatus or break from Las Vegas, they go out of the county — their risk for suicide goes down," he said.

This does not surprise me in the least. Getting the [censored] out of this hellhole regularly is just about the only thing that keeps me sane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: