Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 03:15 PM

635 posts, read 745,914 times

Advertisements

Again someone sharing their personal opinion and they are attacked by many "happy" Las Vegas residents. So many "good" local residents calling this person "idiot", saying she "typical of a spoiled single mother w child support". Yes Vegas is great look at the judgmental, friendly Las Vegas residents on this board.
The crime rate in Las Vegas is 13, meaning its safer than 13% of cities in the US, Atlanta's crime rate is 2%, again safer than 2% of the cities in the US. If you add in the huge amount of unreported crime in Las Vegas these two cities would be much closer on crime rates.
Of course some Vegas residents on here want to point out the bad of places like Atlanta but fail to see the good; beautiful parks, sports teams, museums, houses that all aren't a shade of brown, many beautiful/safe neighborhoods, a hub for many large corporations...please Las Vegas doesn't compare to the overall fully rounded city like Atlanta. Las Vegas is a city with one main entertainment area that is centered around one type of business, it is not nearly as diverse as Atlanta.
I thank the OP for sharing their PERSONAL VIEWS of Las Vegas. Please locals feel free to disagree but have some class when doing so.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:23 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
This can be summed up with "S.S.D.D."

Old 09-14-2015, 03:32 PM

698 posts, read 985,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
I have a hard time believing this story and if it is true I have zero sympathy [mod cut]. I couldn't imagine moving to a city based on a single visit 3 years ago, especially when that visit involved going to another city. It's bad enough to decide to move based on a single but the OP apparently did no research about finding a job before moving and didn't even think about visiting during other seasons to see what it was like. I don't know how being in town for a few days would be adequate time to look for a job much less to have enough rejections to declare the job market bad.
I tend to agree with you so I looked at the OP's travel timeline and they were in Denver on 9/8/15 (complained of thirst there to so I don't think their complaint is exclusive to Vegas) on their way to Vegas. So let's say they drove straight through and arrived in Vegas on 9/9/15; this would mean they "lived" in Vegas for at the most 5 days.

I respect the OP's personal opinion but at least be upfront and say it wasn't formed by experiencing living here as I don't think anyone on either side of the pro/con Vegas camp would say being here five days constitutes living here. I've had hangovers that have lasted longer than that.

Again, I'll applaude OP on their decisiveness, others on the con Vegas side could learn a lot from this poster

Last edited by yellowbelle; 09-14-2015 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: quoted text moderated

Old 09-14-2015, 03:35 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,810,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
I noticed OP's location is listed as New Jersey. Did they already find Atlanta ALSO not to their liking or is this perhaps one of those funny little characters that lies in wait under a bridge?
Check out the OP's old posts and note the cities he claims to have visited, moved to, or lived in. I'll simply point out there are conflicting sequences of times and events and leave it at that.

Bill

Old 09-14-2015, 03:58 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qingguy View Post
I tend to agree with you so I looked at the OP's travel timeline and they were in Denver on 9/8/15 (complained of thirst there to so I don't think their complaint is exclusive to Vegas) on their way to Vegas. So let's say they drove straight through and arrived in Vegas on 9/9/15; this would mean they "lived" in Vegas for at the most 5 days.

I respect the OP's personal opinion but at least be upfront and say it wasn't formed by experiencing living here as I don't think anyone on either side of the pro/con Vegas camp would say being here five days constitutes living here. I've had hangovers that have lasted longer than that.

Again, I'll applaude OP on their decisiveness, others on the con Vegas side could learn a lot from this poster

This is my thought as well. Even though I don't agree with the notion of "you have to live somewhere a year before you can call yourself a local" I certainly don't think "living" someplace for 5 days really gives a full idea of what day to day life is like. Take into consideration that their first short trip there consisted of visiting all sorts of places that weren't even the city of LV, I almost feel like the OP barely has had enough time to even assess what being a tourist in Vegas would be like, let alone a resident.

(I've been in Phoenix nearly 2 years and I'm still not sure what I really think of the place!)

Old 09-14-2015, 04:00 PM

635 posts, read 745,914 times
Like a witch hunt. Instead of simply taking the OP's opinion of their experiences in Las Vegas, even short, more great people of Las Vegas research the person in attempt to discredit their point of view.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:04 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV10101 View Post
Like a witch hunt. Instead of simply taking the OP's opinion of their experiences in Las Vegas, even short, more great people of Las Vegas research the person in attempt to discredit their point of view.
Many have tied their self-image to their belief that they made the best-possible decision coming here. Anything that forces them to re-examine that belief evokes a hostile response.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:04 PM

661 posts, read 630,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
This can be summed up with "S.S.D.D."
I would have to agree.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:17 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
According to his original post, he spent "most of his/her time" in Summerlin, Red Rock, Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon, and San Diego, so feels he/she got a "good feel for the city". Of the 5 places they spent "most of his/her time", 1 is in Las Vegas, one on the outskirts, one in Boulder City, one in Arizona, and one in California - 5-6 HOURS AWAY. And you don't think that's a bit suspicious? I'm wondering if the OP might just be a kid doing some research for school in his room, since the entire post makes absolutely no sense.

Let's assume the OP actually DID move to Las Vegas last week. He/she brought 2 other people, and then what, just dumped them at the nearest Siegel Suites and drove back to New Jersey?

There's something fishy in Denmark...

Old 09-14-2015, 04:27 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,946,956 times
Haha! I called out LV10101 for being the OP and had my post deleted for telling the truth. Funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas