Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 02:06 AM

168 posts, read 212,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soclose View Post
The reason why I would like to see a dermatologist first is because I've been fighting acne my whole life as a teen and now and never seek any real treatment but tried products to fight/control my acne. I've done research and saw that majority of outbreaks maybe due to be allergic reactions but I wouldn't make any assumptions until I seek professional help to confirm what I maybe allergic to.

How old are you? I was in your type of situation about 6 months ago. I decided to skip the allergy test and go straight to the dermatologist.

I'm a 27 yr old male and on my last 10 days of isotretinoin (accutane)

I didn't have bad acne, but I would get these deep cysts on my jawline every once in awhile and they were pretty painful.

I tried everything. From diet to the various "acne solutions"

I was on doxycycline for about 2 years off and on. It did help manage it, but wasn't exactly fixing the problem.

I've been on isotretinoin for the past 6 months and it's been the miracle drug.

My skin has never been better.

There are down sides for sure. Read up on the side effects.

Expensive!!! It all varies by your insurance and your dosage.
Dry lips, eyes and skin were the biggest. Very sensitive to the sun. Drowsy quite a bit and made me have real deep sleep. Made me lazier and lack motivation. Joints got sore easier. My vision at night would get a little blurry for some reason. You have to get blood tests monthly.

Sounds like a lot, but if you carry chapstick, avoid too much sun, don't mind the extra rest and lotion up...you'll be just fine.
All of it was worth it.

Although an allergy test would be nice to have. My buddies dad actually does allergy correction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 03:02 AM

469 posts, read 494,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstersizin View Post
How old are you? I was in your type of situation about 6 months ago. I decided to skip the allergy test and go straight to the dermatologist.

I'm a 27 yr old male and on my last 10 days of isotretinoin (accutane)

I didn't have bad acne, but I would get these deep cysts on my jawline every once in awhile and they were pretty painful.

I tried everything. From diet to the various "acne solutions"

I was on doxycycline for about 2 years off and on. It did help manage it, but wasn't exactly fixing the problem.

I've been on isotretinoin for the past 6 months and it's been the miracle drug.

My skin has never been better.

There are down sides for sure. Read up on the side effects.

Expensive!!! It all varies by your insurance and your dosage.
Dry lips, eyes and skin were the biggest. Very sensitive to the sun. Drowsy quite a bit and made me have real deep sleep. Made me lazier and lack motivation. Joints got sore easier. My vision at night would get a little blurry for some reason. You have to get blood tests monthly.

Sounds like a lot, but if you carry chapstick, avoid too much sun, don't mind the extra rest and lotion up...you'll be just fine.
All of it was worth it.

Although an allergy test would be nice to have. My buddies dad actually does allergy correction.
25. Which dermatologist did you see? Mine is also along my jaw line. I've tried doxycycline before but didn't really pay much attention knowing that it was used to fight acne since it was mandatory to take to prevent malaria overseas.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:16 AM

174 posts, read 970,090 times
Don't know what part of town your in but Linda Woodson Dermatology has some good doctors working in their office. They have multiple offices around town.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Brooklynite View Post
Don't know what part of town your in but Linda Woodson Dermatology has some good doctors working in their office. They have multiple offices around town.
One of their offices is actually less then 10 mins away. Also would you care to share your experience and the pricing with them?

Old 09-26-2015, 03:56 PM

204 posts, read 319,017 times
Accutane changed my life. Years and years of having my face breakout. I realized my dermatologist at the time must have loved my insurance payments. He kept me on meds for years. I lost pretty much all of the white color of my teeth because of it. (side effect) I finally decided to switch clinics and I BEGGED the doctor to go on accutane. He went over the side effects with me. The only one that I had during the treatment was really dry lips. My skin wasn't too bad. I stayed out of the sun. After 1 month the difference was huge. I was supposed to be on it for 6 months, but after 4 he wanted me to stop. I told him that my insurance was covering all of my costs, so I asked him for one more month just to be safe. Once I was done my skin stayed clear. I regret not changing to a different dermatologist sooner. My dentist could only bleach my teeth a shade or two whiter. He said it was because of the meds I took for all of those years.

Old 09-26-2015, 04:21 PM

168 posts, read 212,393 times
Quote:
25. Which dermatologist did you see? Mine is also along my jaw line. I've tried doxycycline before but didn't really pay much attention knowing that it was used to fight acne since it was mandatory to take to prevent malaria overseas.

Dr. Blanchard at Las Vegas Skin and Cancer Clinics.

They see a lot of people so it won't be a personal type of care.

I told him that I tried everything and was finally ready for accutane and he said Alright we'll set you up. lol

You have to do a blood test at a local Quest and then go back whenever you can get an appointment date so he can see your results. After that they enroll you into this ipledge program and setup the 1 month prescription.
You will have to setup an appointment each month and take a blood test a few days before. If everything goes well they will submit the 1 month prescription again.

Dosage and time varies. I was on a high dose for about half the time. 4-6 months is the average amount of time you're on it.
I was like the last poster. I convinced him to keep me on it for 1 more month after he said I was done. I'm hoping it somewhat keeps it away longer because I hear that people will do cycles every few years because it will come back.

I wish I would have done this years ago. It's worth it.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:54 AM

848 posts, read 648,421 times
Our entire family has seen Dr. Robert Lieberman at Thomas Dermatology, and we have been very satisfied with the quality of care received. They have a location near Southern Hills Hospital and one in Seven Hills. The Web site is Thomas Dermatology - General and Pediatric Dermatology.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:37 AM

Thank You everybody for the replies and recommendations. I'm deciding to see an allergenist first as I am honestly not sure exactly what I maybe allergic due to light acne break outs every month. I consider my self to be healthy so there's the possibility of something in my diet or products I maybe using to fight my acne (either too strong or weak for my skin). Having a skin test done would most likely help break it down more easily prior to seeing a dermatologist.

Please continue to share more recommendations.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:18 PM

174 posts, read 970,090 times
Quote:
One of their offices is actually less then 10 mins away. Also would you care to share your experience and the pricing with them?
Hard to say. Experience wise I had no problems . They spent lots of time going over my issues. Price wise I was fully covered by my insurance, so I really couldn't give you a ball park figure.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:51 AM

89 posts, read 268,106 times
Quote:
The reason why I would like to see a dermatologist first is because I've been fighting acne my whole life as a teen and now and never seek any real treatment but tried products to fight/control my acne. I've done research and saw that majority of outbreaks maybe due to be allergic reactions but I wouldn't make any assumptions until I seek professional help to confirm what I maybe allergic to.
If your research hasn't taken you to the website acne.org, I wanted to recommend that. The guy who started the website created a regimen that helped me a lot (I've had acne since I was 12, and I still get the occasional breakout at 52). He sells products that are very good, but you don't have to use them. The site also has a message board and reviews of both OTC and prescription products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: