Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 11:32 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,159,841 times

Advertisements

Sounds like there is about $300 needs to be done something about the supply lines yadda yadda.

I expect to hear something today as I passed along the phone call I got.

Maybe just go check into the cannery for a couple nights and stick them the bill LOL

Love your reply scoop \, to soon to give you good marks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 11:32 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,574,587 times
@lvoc - You probably have a policy that is more inclusive and thus you pay a higher yearly premium. The amount of rentals I have makes having warranties pointless. I just use the premiums I would've spent as my reserve for unexpected expensive replacements.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:36 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,060,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robojester View Post
Sounds like there is about $300 needs to be done something about the supply lines yadda yadda.

Maybe just go check into the cannery for a couple nights and stick them the bill LOL

Sorry, but that isn't an option. But "have it fixed yourself and deduct" is. Just so long as you don't try to have a diamond-encrusted heater installed. A general, run-of-the-mill heater, a $60 permit, and a licensed/insured plumber. That's all you need.

You can do your landlord a solid and try to find one that will let you buy the heater at HD/Lowe's. (Hint: Bradford White makes the best of the low-cost water heaters.)

Old 10-07-2015, 11:39 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,871,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robojester View Post

Read the stuff. Scoop's approach will not work with many LLs. And you likely lose in court. And at best you end up with a mess.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:47 AM

You can't throw a fit right now, it hasn't even been half a day. You have to allow the landlords warranty to service the unit.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:52 AM

13,027 posts, read 13,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
A home warranty company takes a bit of time to do repairs because of unnecessary red tape. Probably the landlord is discussing with them right now how much the extra cost is as a water heater is not deemed a normal repair item. It's one of the reasons I dropped warranty coverage on all my properties, water heaters were costing me $400 to repair through home warranty vs. me getting a plumber and buying the water heater myself for $550.
Interesting. My warranty (orhp.com) covers the water heater. At one of my houses, the tank water heater started to leak, I called ORHP, and a plumber with a new tank showed up within 4 hours. It took him about an hour to replace the leaking tank with a new one. All it cost me was the $60 per call fee.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:53 AM

What is your annual premium Sporty?

Old 10-07-2015, 11:56 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,871,464 times
Quote:
@lvoc - You probably have a policy that is more inclusive and thus you pay a higher yearly premium. The amount of rentals I have makes having warranties pointless. I just use the premiums I would've spent as my reserve for unexpected expensive replacements.
Actually I maintain mine primarily because of two AC units over 20 years old. I would tend to agree that they don't pay otherwise. Most small things I don't even bother. The home warrantees are too big a nuisance.

I would note that the last dish washer repair end up hung for three days waiting for the part. So it looks like the ability of the local repair guys to procure parts locally and quick is going away as they adopt internet stocking systems.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:57 AM

13,027 posts, read 13,936,147 times
Quote:
Just curious -- how many rentals do you have where you found it makes sense to self-insure?

And of course, all forms of insurance are, statistically speaking, a bad deal. That's how insurance & warranty companies earn a profit. I'm thinking of dropping the protection plans and self-insuring as you do, but I haven't done that yet.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:00 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,048,425 times
Quote:
A home warranty company takes a bit of time to do repairs because of unnecessary red tape. Probably the landlord is discussing with them right now how much the extra cost is as a water heater is not deemed a normal repair item. It's one of the reasons I dropped warranty coverage on all my properties, water heaters were costing me $400 to repair through home warranty vs. me getting a plumber and buying the water heater myself for $550.
You chose the wrong home warranty company. My hot water heaters are covered by HSA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: