Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 03:51 PM

515 posts, read 1,833,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I also used to produce commercials for several of the car dealers in Las Vegas for many years.
Can you take credit for any of the Fletcher Jones ads with the animals??? The one with the former Mayor when the cat falls off the hood of the car was hillarious!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 04:33 PM

66 posts, read 255,828 times
Quote:
Not only did I once sell recreation vehicles and the used cars and trucks we took on trade, I also used to produce commercials for several of the car dealers in Las Vegas for many years. I got to know some of them fairly well, and thought we were friends. I was cheated by two or three of them. Our Honda came from Carmax, and we have bought two from Saturn. Now I will never buy a car from anyone but Carmax or Saturn. Both have locations on W. Sahara and in Henderson. At the lot I worked at, we were taught by a former Ford sales manager the tricks of how to cheat people, and we learned they will do it even if an honest deal was the easiest. Forget any of the new car dealers. They will steal your eye teeth. It is a game with them to see how much they can bleed you. Carmax, Carmax, Carmax.

Did I mention Carmax? One nice thing about them is that if you don't find what you want here, they, or you, can go on line and look at their other locations all over the country. If you see one you want, they will ship it here for a fee that will be applied to the purchase price if you buy the car. I didn't see any cars that weren't absolutely in great shape. They advertise they won't take any bad cars and although I have good reason not to believe advertising (having been in that business for 32 years), I believe Carmax.

Wow thank you so much for the info. Now any tips on haggling to get the best price??

Old 01-30-2008, 05:09 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,378,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashknickers View Post
Wow thank you so much for the info. Now any tips on haggling to get the best price??
Yes. You can't. At both Carmax and Saturn there is no haggling. There is also no trying to sell you stuff you don't need. Options might be offered with no pressure though. That's the beauty of both places. That has been so successful with Saturn it is beyond me why General Motors doesn't do that with their other divisions. That and the fact Saturn is a better built car than other American cars, and their service policy is fantastic. But I doubt if I'll ever buy any other car but Honda or Toyota from now on, and rather than waste thousands on a new one, I'd go to Carmax for a one or two year old model. You can't hardly hurt a Honda or Toyota in two years.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:59 PM

655 posts, read 2,204,181 times
Good info.

I've head that it's better to buy your car in Cali. Is this true?

Old 01-30-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy san View Post
Good info.

I've heard Utah, but you couldn't prove either one by me. Sounds like the grass is always greener or something.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:11 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,718,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy san View Post
Good info.

This is true in my case, Socal has such a great selection of good cars and usually you can get a good deal out there.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
This is true in my case, Socal has such a great selection of good cars and usually you can get a good deal out there.
If I stick to my plan of only buying from Carmax it wouldn't matter, as long as I don't end up with a car that has been exposed to sea air/water or someplace where they use salt on the roads.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:26 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,718,067 times
Quote:
If I stick to my plan of only buying from Carmax it wouldn't matter, as long as I don't end up with a car that has been exposed to sea air/water or someplace where they use salt on the roads.
CarMax is good, the only thing is their prices are on the high side. If you don't know cars or your not a gear head like me, you cannot go wrong with Carmax. But I can usually save a few thousand by not going to a one price store like Carmax.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:45 AM

818 posts, read 3,700,314 times
You definitely pay a premium for the no hassle/no BS treatment at Carmax. But for many, it's well worth it. Saturns? I always thought they were cheaply made.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:03 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,136,984 times
I wanted to buy a Saturn when they first came out [made in America thingie] I tried one on......they sticke to the old design guidlines that say the average American is 5'8" tall....if you're 6'5" tall you don't have a chance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas