Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2015, 10:25 AM

144 posts, read 406,793 times

Advertisements

I thought I have figured out the best neighborhood for my case by scanning older threads; however, after I created this forum thread here, some current LV residents didn't seem to agree with what I have gathered, so now I need to revise. I thought that 'south of the strip' will be best, but this assessment is now being questioned.

Maybe someone can help me out a bit and point me in the direction of a LV neighborhood(s) that will apply better to my situation? I'm about to make a scouting trip to LV now and I'd like to focus on the recommended neighborhoods first.

Single guy, 26, working from home. Been to LV a few times before, love it; moving alone, and don't know a single soul there. Budget $1100-$1300/month. I'd like to be around people of the same age, interested in dating, occasionally like hanging out, going out to see things like plays, comedy shows, etc. but I'm not a party person, not interested in the "standard" Vegas lifestyle or clubbing, and I like my peace most of the time. I'd like the area to be safe enough to go for long walks in the evening without having to constantly look around. Moving to LV without a car in January-February, will buy it there. I'd like to try performing at some open mic events to try some stand up routines of my own, so if there's any open mics around, that'd be a plus. Not necessary but would love to have in the area: MMA/BJJ gym, Trader Joe's, a park with pull-up bars and other stuff. I think that's about it.

I also have another question. Which is better to rent, a house or an apartment? What would you recommend in my price range?

Thank you for any pointers! This forum has been extremely helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 06:11 PM

469 posts, read 494,642 times
I recommend looking west near the 95 freeway. Your budget is more then enough to find a nice apartment/house to rent. I suggest a apartment since you'll be living by yourself and to live below your means.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:23 PM

700 posts, read 1,329,928 times
While LV has all of those things, its not really in the flavor you are looking for. You need something a little more Portland-y, Colorodo Springs-y, Spokane Washington-y. But to make it easy and kill the thread...Summerlin or Henderson. Zzzzzz

Old 11-27-2015, 04:55 PM

demoknite, haha, thanks for the response!

This is a shot in the dark, but what the hell. Do you per chance know of any -y cities with similar costs of living and no income tax that you believe would fit the flavor? Thanks in advance!!

Old 11-27-2015, 07:09 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
That's the wrong question -- what you are looking for is the income to cost of living. A state income tax doesn't matter if the pay makes up for it.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
That's the wrong question -- what you are looking for is the income to cost of living. A state income tax doesn't matter if the pay makes up for it.
It matters to me because I live off my own online business. I earn the same regardless of the location.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:59 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldon View Post
It matters to me because I live off my own online business. I earn the same regardless of the location.
You might enjoy Green Valley, near The District Mobile Site Preview

Or Summerlin South. Both are safe areas with good shopping and amenities where you are likely to encounter people your age. http://summerlin.com/downtown-summerlin

Old 11-27-2015, 11:47 PM

700 posts, read 1,329,928 times
Austin, TX

Old 11-28-2015, 01:46 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldon View Post
There are places in the US with a SIGNIFICANTLY lower cost of living. If living cheap is the only parameter, you can do far better than Las Vegas. As much as I can't stand living in this city, I cannot deny that the income to cost of living ratio is quite good.

But if your income is fixed, that ratio doesn't really mean squat. Upstate New Hampshire has the absolute lowest tax burden, for instance. And the further north you go, the less that state costs.

EDIT -- But that's just one example. There's the low cost of living in places like South Dakota, too. Or move out of the country and get in on that sweet, sweet, expat COL in places like Panama!

Last edited by ScoopLV; 11-28-2015 at 02:02 AM..

Old 11-28-2015, 11:07 AM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
Yes, but Vegas has a lower cost of living than most of the major metropolitan areas, with a lot of the amenities of a major metropolitan area. If you're in the middle of NH or SD, you're not going to have that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
There are places in the US with a SIGNIFICANTLY lower cost of living. If living cheap is the only parameter, you can do far better than Las Vegas. As much as I can't stand living in this city, I cannot deny that the income to cost of living ratio is quite good.

But if your income is fixed, that ratio doesn't really mean squat. Upstate New Hampshire has the absolute lowest tax burden, for instance. And the further north you go, the less that state costs.

EDIT -- But that's just one example. There's the low cost of living in places like South Dakota, too. Or move out of the country and get in on that sweet, sweet, expat COL in places like Panama!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: