Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 07:50 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,280,975 times

Advertisements

I don't know what other studied they can do on transportation here but they have several billion to do it which is mind boggling to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 08:02 AM

23,224 posts, read 29,066,081 times
I fault Mayor Goodman for the lack of new housing downtown, since the crash. She was right there, willing to underwrite the costs of a un-needed soccer stadium, but no funds to help buy land for housing developers or offering them tax abatements? And why didn't she try hard get the VA Hospital down to Symphony Park?

Sheesh! She's certainly been, and Oscar too, no Mayor Richard Daley of Chicago.

When Sears was threatening to relocate to the Chicago suburbs, Daley asked a Sears official: What can I do to change your mind?

Well, it's like this, Dick, we need 2 contingent square blocks in the Chicago Loop, and it would entail closing off a downtown street!

Daley: You got it! You got it! We'll have the package for you and we'll close off the street!

My Mexican roommate, recently, had to go to Mexican Immigration, which used to be downtown, and has relocated to the burbs, making it difficult to get there, if you don't have a car, like my roommate.

There's one example! Why did the Mayor allow that to happen? Even though it was just small fry!

If you go through Archives here, on CD. com, and look back at any city contemplating putting in light rail for their city, the initial reactions was to be expected, and, once built, they became proud of it, well-worth the money! Any number of naysayers in this city will say: We're too spread out for a light rail system to work here! And, one just has to look to a city more spread out than Las Vegas, like Phoenix, and see it working, despite the lack of density.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:20 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,280,975 times
One of the points they made about the light rail is that since it's not a track it's easier to move around if need be. I'm not sure how that works but I think it has to do with a wire.

Anyways, if you give a listen to the KNPR audios on the VA they've done several segments on why it's in North Las Vegas. Besides the fact that the land was available and designated for it. They make some fair points about why they put it where it's currently at.

There is still land and opportunity for more residential housing to come downtown. I think it's just a matter of time.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:28 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,001,725 times
In my opinion one of the main, underlying, meta reasons why Las Vegas is a failure as a city is the lack of planning.

This city is what happens when you apply one stop-gap patch after another instead of starting with a goal, a plan, and consensus.

You can look at any of the areas where Las Vegas is deficient and say, "Yup -- they obviously didn't plan for THAT to be the end result." -- Education, public transportation in general, the monorail specifically, programming on traffic lights, zoning (residential next to a pig farm, as a prime example).

This city's motto should be "Asleep at the switch."

Old 12-31-2015, 09:46 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,627,573 times
I wish there was a bail bond tower. Office building with several floors of bail bond businesses. We have 74,000,000 hideous one-story bail bond buildings eating up what could be great space downtown.
This is impossible, sure... but just a nice pipe dream.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:38 AM

23,224 posts, read 29,066,081 times
And if it isn't one story bond bail businesses it's Title Loan businesses. There's 6 of them in my neighborhood, they just took over a former Citi bank 1-story building on DI, between Pecos/Eastern. It just opened.

In a number of states Title Loan businesses aren't even allowed!

If you were able to take all the title loan businesses, and concentrate them in one place, we may be looking at a 20 story tower!

Old 12-31-2015, 01:04 PM

15,867 posts, read 14,495,108 times
Light rail is tracks. It's just that they're usually run along roads. This sound easier, but you tend to get accidents between cars and trains.

What you're thinking of is the electric buses, like they have (or at least had) in San Francisco. The problem with any/all of this, is that it doesn't separate the transit from the road traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
One of the points they made about the light rail is that since it's not a track it's easier to move around if need be. I'm not sure how that works but I think it has to do with a wire.

Anyways, if you give a listen to the KNPR audios on the VA they've done several segments on why it's in North Las Vegas. Besides the fact that the land was available and designated for it. They make some fair points about why they put it where it's currently at.

There is still land and opportunity for more residential housing to come downtown. I think it's just a matter of time.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:15 PM

4,032 posts, read 4,469,245 times
Oscar Goodman proposed Redlight District Downtown

https://sayanythingblog.com/entry/ma...t_in_sin_city/

Old 12-31-2015, 03:17 PM

4,032 posts, read 4,469,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
I wish there was a bail bond tower. Office building with several floors of bail bond businesses. We have 74,000,000 hideous one-story bail bond buildings eating up what could be great space downtown.
This is impossible, sure... but just a nice pipe dream.
Also the Jail takes up prime real estate preventing downtown from expanding southward.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:12 PM

15,867 posts, read 14,495,108 times
^
Let's be a little real here. Downtown Las Vegas isn't really the prime real estate in the Vegas Valley, hasn't been so in a long time, and likely never will be again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas