Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 02:58 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,680 times

Advertisements

This question is for those who have relocated to the area. Are you glad you moved there or do you regret it and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 03:06 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
happier then a pig in #$%^ for 45 years

Old 02-09-2008, 03:27 PM

23 posts, read 94,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
happier then a pig in #$%^ for 45 years
Wow really? All these years huh? I hear so many people who've been in Vegas for decades gripe about how much it's changed and how worse it's become. It makes me wish I was able to see it back in the better days, when it was still a young city.

How do you feel about the explosive growth?

Old 02-09-2008, 03:29 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
It's ok..been here 14 years. If I could, I would move to a small town somewhere remote for peace and quiet. But my other half wants the city, so that's why I stay.
I do love the conveniences here like plenty of places to buy my 'health' food, and great places to find bargain books. The weather can't be beat, especially in spring and fall.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:08 PM

315 posts, read 1,624,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasHill View Post
I hear so many people who've been in Vegas for decades gripe about how much it's changed and how worse it's become.
Sounds like a number of cities I have lived in. Lots of people like to gripe and talk about the "good old days". At the end of the day, if it was really that bad, they would just move

Old 02-09-2008, 11:29 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,921,814 times
I've lived here for 7 years. I like it. It's just like any other city, but I'd say that the positives outway the negatives.

Half the people on C-D who whine about how horrible Vegas is don't even live here.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:22 AM

560 posts, read 2,188,267 times
We relocated here in June '06 from Michigan and love it. The main reason for our relocation was lack of jobs and the very depressed MI economy. My husband has family out here and they made a very convincing argument to get us to relocate. Our first few months we had a lot of culture shock and my children wanted to "go home". Now, if you ask them they say Las Vegas is their home. The summers are HOT but we are now approaching our 3rd one and really, I am not dreading it as much as I thought I would be. The fruit here is the best I have ever tasted, I think because it doesn't have to be shipped as far. Apples suck out here, but then, MI is apple orchard territory and I did grow up in an apple orchard. If anyone knows where I can get a nice crisp apple please let me know

I have found, in my personal experience, that most people who move here from the midwest area really do well here. I have found that most of the people who hate it here have come from California (just my experience). We recently went to San Diego and I have to admit, if I could afford to live there I probably would. It is absolutely beautiful. So, I can understand why moving here might be a bit of a let down.

The first time we went to Lake Mead when we moved here we were very disappointed. But, we were, of course, comparing it to the Great Lakes which is what we are used to. Nothing compares to the beauty of the mountains and how at any time of day they can be completely different colors.

We had 2 acres in MI, here we have a pool and that is the extent of our backyard. It was a little weird at first but with all the parks around (that we don't have to mow) we have quickly adjusted to going to the park.

All things considered, we are very happy with our decision to move to Las Vegas.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:14 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,848,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kingsinvegas View Post
I have found, in my personal experience, that most people who move here from the midwest area really do well here. I have found that most of the people who hate it here have come from California (just my experience). We recently went to San Diego and I have to admit, if I could afford to live there I probably would. It is absolutely beautiful. So, I can understand why moving here might be a bit of a let down.

I'm from San Diego and I have to say that you are pretty spot on. I don't hate it here, but it's not where I would be if I had unlimited income.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:51 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,921,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
I've lived here for 7 years. I like it. It's just like any other city, but I'd say that the positives outway the negatives.

Half the people on C-D who whine about how horrible Vegas is don't even live here.
Outweigh. I really don't know what was wrong with me yesterday! So many typos...

Old 02-10-2008, 08:59 PM

174 posts, read 970,090 times
My wife & I just celebrated our second anniversay of our move here. Regrets?
No! Coming from NY, it's a little bit more laid back here. We don't find people being in a rush (except at McCaran) and the 215 & 95. We love the weather here. I don't miss shoveling snow or the commute on the L.I.R.R. or NYC Transit. Have a small condo with little upkeep vs. a house on LI with something going wrong every month.We've flown back a few times to visit relatives in NY but always feel better about coming back to Vegas (our home). Are there better places? Sure! Would we move? Probably not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas