Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 04:12 PM

911 posts, read 2,154,854 times

Advertisements

We are pondering buying land and building a tiny home on it. Camping in our RV while we do so. For the sake of research, could anyone point me towards ideal areas to start looking for land, and nearby counties that accept tiny homes? Would like a safe area within an hour or so to Vegas where we can find small acreage. Are there any tiny homes in the area that you guys have seen? LV is just one area we are scouting. It's mostly between SW states or our property in VA. We would like a little place out west to be near family sometimes though.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 04:58 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,466,566 times
If you have an RV, you have a tiny home already. That's basically what they are. Since they don't sit on a foundation, I don't think they're considered a house.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:40 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,667,281 times
Imho its going to be difficult finding a rural area around NV where your tiny home would be safe left unattended for any significant stretch of time. Rural areas tend to be plagued with drug users who are short on stuff to pawn...At least that is a pretty big issue in much of small town AZ that is near here.

I would get some figures in what it costs to drill a well in these parts also because I'm betting you might be shocked at the expense.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:55 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
Yep, it's the septic and the well that's going to break the bank. Most of Nevada is owned by the government and they aren't selling. You won't find much close to Vegas.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:10 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
You can easily find lots in Las Vegas for less than 100K. If you buy in the county you can pretty much build anything you want on them. May run into building code problems with the cities. Lots in uarban areas likely have access to water and sewers but may have significant fees. You can live in your RV on the lot while you build. Done all the time.

For practical purposes you can pick up cheap land in Parhrump easily and some with water. Still have to do a septic. Half or a third the cost of Vegas.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:34 PM

911 posts, read 2,154,854 times
Thank you for the insight... And I'm going to look at Pahrump

Old 08-29-2016, 02:26 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
You can easily find lots in Las Vegas for less than 100K. If you buy in the county you can pretty much build anything you want on them. May run into building code problems with the cities. Lots in uarban areas likely have access to water and sewers but may have significant fees. You can live in your RV on the lot while you build. Done all the time.

For practical purposes you can pick up cheap land in Parhrump easily and some with water. Still have to do a septic. Half or a third the cost of Vegas.
Maybe I misunderstand this whole tiny house thing but I thought the idea was minimalism and frugal living. I can't imagine a tiny house person buying a 100K lot. Maybe if he was able to put 20 tiny houses on it!

One thing I have always wondered about tiny homes. Do you worry that someone will come up with a big truck and steal it? Especially if you are not living there full time!

Old 08-29-2016, 02:49 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Maybe I misunderstand this whole tiny house thing but I thought the idea was minimalism and frugal living. I can't imagine a tiny house person buying a 100K lot. Maybe if he was able to put 20 tiny houses on it!

One thing I have always wondered about tiny homes. Do you worry that someone will come up with a big truck and steal it? Especially if you are not living there full time!
I think they mentioned small acreage with a tiny home. That is not a tiny home tract.

You can pick up small lots in central Las Vegas for $30K. Saw a 1/3 of an acre go for that earlier this year. The rub however is that you may run into code problems in any of the cities. Clark County is more free form on building requirements. Drive around Lone Mountain some time.

You still may have some code problems and have to put the home on a permanent foundation.

Pahrump is generally more permissive.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:17 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,678,568 times
I'm building a house now as owner-builder. It's an ultra pain in the rear. I think it will be worth it.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:18 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,678,568 times
The well engineering permit takes 9 month before you can put a shovel to the ground.

I just gone through this and got approved by Carson city office!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Yep, it's the septic and the well that's going to break the bank. Most of Nevada is owned by the government and they aren't selling. You won't find much close to Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas