Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 04:11 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,041,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I think they mentioned small acreage with a tiny home. That is not a tiny home tract.

You can pick up small lots in central Las Vegas for $30K. Saw a 1/3 of an acre go for that earlier this year. The rub however is that you may run into code problems in any of the cities. Clark County is more free form on building requirements. Drive around Lone Mountain some time.

You still may have some code problems and have to put the home on a permanent foundation.

Pahrump is generally more permissive.
Don't you lose the tax advantages if it's not on wheels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 07:44 PM

625 posts, read 797,470 times
Cant imagine what you would have to do to keep it cool in the summer. Vegas doesnt seem conducive to tiny homes

Old 08-29-2016, 08:01 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bps401 View Post
Cant imagine what you would have to do to keep it cool in the summer. Vegas doesnt seem conducive to tiny homes
You think there is something about tiny homes that prevents them from being air conditioned? You are unaware that they have electricity and can run units like those in RVs?

I guess they must be terrible in the east and mid west where you have to HEAT them.

LV has a warm climate but let us not get idiotic about it.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:12 PM

15,864 posts, read 14,487,406 times
If I were the OP, I'd look into another form of compact accommodation that is available widely in metropolitan Las Vegas - an apartment. In many, maybe most, ways, it make vastly more sense than a "tiny house".

Old 08-29-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
If I were the OP, I'd look into another form of compact accommodation that is available widely in metropolitan Las Vegas - an apartment. In many, maybe most, ways, it make vastly more sense than a "tiny house".
You know of some apartments that have small acreage attached? Say more.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:41 PM

625 posts, read 797,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
You think there is something about tiny homes that prevents them from being air conditioned? You are unaware that they have electricity and can run units like those in RVs?

I guess they must be terrible in the east and mid west where you have to HEAT them.

LV has a warm climate but let us not get idiotic about it.
Whoa there. I would much prefer somewhere that has a milder climate when it comes to using heat and AC. I am aware of the capabilities of tiny homes.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Whoa there. I would much prefer somewhere that has a milder climate when it comes to using heat and AC. I am aware of the capabilities of tiny homes.
Then why would you post such a dumb thought? In fact a tiny home would offer the advantages of very small bills to cool in a hot climate.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:10 PM

611 posts, read 951,531 times
Park model homes are considered tiny houses and throughout Arizona (and other states) there are large parks with year round people living in them. In the United States, park models must remain under 400 square feet (37 m2) to qualify as a recreational vehicle under federal and state laws. Aren't there park model home "parks" in Nevada too? I know I would feel safer and less prone to experiencing problems on a single lot in a park with all the amentities (pools, tennis courts, garbage, water, cable, etc.) included. Other than that, it would be nice to have a lot in a treed area in Tahoe or something along that line where it's quite acceptable to have cabins and bungalows or rv's. Is there affordable small forested lots available at Mt. Charleston?

Old 08-30-2016, 09:19 AM

15,864 posts, read 14,487,406 times
There is nothing tiny house specific to this issue. While I'm not a fan of this type of housing (it's basically a travel trailer, but not as well constructed), if properly constructed and insulated, they'd be cheaper and easier to heat and/or cool than a bigger house, just because they have a smaller volume.

Quote:

Old 08-30-2016, 02:51 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,041,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binionrat View Post
Park model homes are considered tiny houses and throughout Arizona (and other states) there are large parks with year round people living in them. In the United States, park models must remain under 400 square feet (37 m2) to qualify as a recreational vehicle under federal and state laws. Aren't there park model home "parks" in Nevada too? I know I would feel safer and less prone to experiencing problems on a single lot in a park with all the amentities (pools, tennis courts, garbage, water, cable, etc.) included. Other than that, it would be nice to have a lot in a treed area in Tahoe or something along that line where it's quite acceptable to have cabins and bungalows or rv's. Is there affordable small forested lots available at Mt. Charleston?
Some of those Park homes are beautiful and they use space incredibly well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas