Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2016, 01:19 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojester View Post
tthe monorail is a perfect example of the government mucking up what could've been a great idea
Monorail was a private venture privately funded. It was a screw up by private companies. Only government role was allowing it to be built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I think the location of the arena is just f'n brain dead. The traffic will be a nightmare.

I think a much better location would have been, say, south of South Point. There is a ton of vacant land out there rather than the too-small site they chose. Plus they could have put in the roads and I-15 freeway on/off ramps for a stadium so that it didn't muck up the traffic on The Strip.
If it was actually to be a local sports stadium you would be correct. But it is not.

It is in fact a part of the Strip and needs to be close.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:11 PM

621 posts, read 538,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
If it was actually to be a local sports stadium you would be correct. But it is not.

I wasn't aware they chose a location?

Old 10-23-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpypotpie View Post
I wasn't aware they chose a location?
Basically they have. Two are still in the running both south of the strip. I think though the airport issue kills the Bali Hai site. It could of course blow up...but that is more likely from an NFL issue.

Note that traffic infrastructure got to be a significant issue at the legislature. That can be discussed only with a site in mind.

Old 10-23-2016, 06:34 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,325,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinkChink View Post
I beg to differ. Las vegas is Vegas because of private money. Private minds. Govt is along for the ride.

8 reg season games a year- give me a fr e.ki,ng break. Garth Brooks is gonna book a 75k seat stadium...............lol.
Maybe not Garth Brooks, but in Pittsburgh's Heinz Field Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Kenny Chesney, One Direction, Travis Tritt, Luke Bryant, the Eli Young Band, and Guns 'n Roses all had recent concerts there. In addition to the Steelers' games, the University of Pittsburgh also plays its home games at Heinz Field (I understand the LV stadium is also intended to be used by UNLV), and six high school playoff football games are also played there every year (WPIAL finals). The Penguins have played outdoor hockey there. I know the stadium is also used for religious revivals, fantasy camps, the annual Fan Blitz, an annual Rib Cookoff and Music Festival, disaster training for City of Pittsburgh emergency units, etc.

Heinz Field also does great business in its six private rooms (club rooms, a lounge, a memorabilia hall, and the press box and adjacent dining room). They are rented for fund raisers, business meetings, trade shows, receptions, cocktail parties, holiday events, weddings, private parties (such as rehearsal dinners and Bar or Bat Mitzvahs). Granted, LV certainly has plenty of other options for such business, so the LV stadium will probably not be designed like that. But the point is, people enjoy sports-themed events and a city's stadium can be rented for private purposes.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:37 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,891,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Maybe not Garth Brooks, but in Pittsburgh's Heinz Field Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Kenny Chesney, One Direction, Travis Tritt, Luke Bryant, the Eli Young Band, and Guns 'n Roses all had recent concerts there. In addition to the Steelers' games, the University of Pittsburgh also plays its home games at Heinz Field (I understand the LV stadium is also intended to be used by UNLV), and six high school playoff football games are also played there every year (WPIAL finals). The Penguins have played outdoor hockey there. I know the stadium is also used for religious revivals, fantasy camps, the annual Fan Blitz, an annual Rib Cookoff and Music Festival, disaster training for City of Pittsburgh emergency units, etc.

Heinz Field also does great business in its six private rooms (club rooms, a lounge, a memorabilia hall, and the press box and adjacent dining room). They are rented for fund raisers, business meetings, trade shows, receptions, cocktail parties, holiday events, weddings, private parties (such as rehearsal dinners and Bar or Bat Mitzvahs). Granted, LV certainly has plenty of other options for such business, so the LV stadium will probably not be designed like that. But the point is, people enjoy sports-themed events and a city's stadium can be rented for private purposes.
Problem is every one of those artists could easily play in the T-Mobile Arena. If there is more than 18,000 seats of demand they have two shows or more. George Strait seems to be the most reliable show in Vegas to sell seats and he comes multiple times. If his promoters said lets just do one show and 50,000 fans, you'd actually see less tourism benefit.

These shows were part of the sales pitch for the stadium, but the backers never really proved there is a real need. If Guns N Roses and the Rolling Stones could satisfy most demand by doing (or trying to do) two shows in the arena, the argument that they won't come here unless there is a large stadium to host them kind of falls apart. We'll never know, no one had the backbone to stand up to the promoters and call them out on their BS so Las Vegas will just get whatever it gets and can enjoy paying the consequences down the road.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:34 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,874,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Stop subsidizing billionaires ...let the Raider Owner pay and build this dumb stadium himself
Football owners are in the business of operating a football team, not operating an arena.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:36 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,874,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post

If -- and only if -- they have the space and the transportation infrastructure. There is only one site now being considered. For the chosen site, neither are true, are they?

Old 10-24-2016, 11:39 AM

9,887 posts, read 7,223,915 times
Quote:
Football owners are in the business of operating a football team, not operating an arena.
Actually plenty of team owners are in the business of operating arenas. Here in Boston Robert Kraft (Pats), Jeremy Jacobs (Bruins), and John Henry (Red Sox) own and operate their facilities.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
If -- and only if -- they have the space and the transportation infrastructure. There is only one site now being considered. For the chosen site, neither are true, are they?
I would think the space is more than adequate and could be pushed a block or two further west if a problem develops.

The traffic thing is an opportunity. It is close enough to the strip to be part of an integrated system if we can ever put that together. Other than that it will be a problem like Friday night or the Speedway. We seem able to live with those. I think the locals simply avoid the strip section of I15.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas