Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 04:10 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,152,319 times

Advertisements

Hey Gang,

What can a person expect the electric bill to be on a 3 bed/ 2 bath in the winter? Approx 1350 sq ft
Single story.

I know we all have electric for AC mostly so how much will it cost me to go all electric?

I plan to keep the water heater low and we are from MN so don't run the heat much either.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 04:41 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,113,556 times
I have all gas everything and my electric bill, with a welder and other power tools being used a lot, is 50 bucks in a 1900 sq ft house.

Use that as a comparison to other people posting in all electric houses.

Also, does NV energy let you look up previous bills by address?

Old 05-22-2016, 08:21 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,071,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Also, does NV energy let you look up previous bills by address?
Yes they do. You can call the automated system and get a 12 month average without talking to anyone. If the house was vacant for any of those months if it will still be included and thus the bill will be skewed.

If you call and talk to their customer service they can give you a more detailed breakdown that excludes really small bills or if you want to know just the winter bills.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:34 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,678,788 times
I plan to build an all electric house. Running all your lights on LED, and using the electric oven/washer/dryer after 7pm will save you a lot of money in the summer 9 cents per kWh vs 39 cents per kWh during peak day times is a major difference.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:11 AM

82 posts, read 203,513 times
Not sure if an all electric house is a good idea. Once you resell the property, buyers will simply expect natural gas heat, warm water, cooktop, etc. If not present, the resale price will be negatively impacted.

From an economic and environmental perspective it's not a great idea to convert natural gas or coal to heat and then to electricity at 60 % generation loss (according to Electropaedia) and then transporting it to your house with an average 6% transmission and distribution loss (according to the EPA) and then converting it back to heat.

So in other words only about 38% of the energy used by the power plant used actually will reach your house in form of electricity.

Compare this to Greenpeace's estimate of 5.3 - 10.8% distribution loss for the UK's natural gas pipes.

By using natural gas you can save money and greatly reduce pollution. In my book a pretty good proposition.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:22 AM

Good points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltman View Post
Not sure if an all electric house is a good idea. Once you resell the property, buyers will simply expect natural gas heat, warm water, cooktop, etc. If not present, the resale price will be negatively impacted.

From an economic and environmental perspective it's not a great idea to convert natural gas or coal to heat and then to electricity at 60 % generation loss (according to Electropaedia) and then transporting it to your house with an average 6% transmission and distribution loss (according to the EPA) and then converting it back to heat.

So in other words only about 38% of the energy used by the power plant used actually will reach your house in form of electricity.

Compare this to Greenpeace's estimate of 5.3 - 10.8% distribution loss for the UK's natural gas pipes.

By using natural gas you can save money and greatly reduce pollution. In my book a pretty good proposition.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:47 AM

1,245 posts, read 1,827,836 times
At 6 cents a kilowatt, seems to me that hybrid electric hot water is cheaper or the same as natural gas hot water. When I have to change my tank, think I will make the switch. Don't think that I would go all electric since I love natural gas for range cooking and for clothes dryer. Currently have NG heat but when the AC needs replacing will consider heat pumps.

While natural gas is very cheap right now, just a matter of time before it goes back up. Electricity pricing here in LV seems cheap and more stable.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:32 PM

Second on the hybrid water heater which provides cooling. Although I am not sure how much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
At 6 cents a kilowatt, seems to me that hybrid electric hot water is cheaper or the same as natural gas hot water. When I have to change my tank, think I will make the switch. Don't think that I would go all electric since I love natural gas for range cooking and for clothes dryer. Currently have NG heat but when the AC needs replacing will consider heat pumps.

While natural gas is very cheap right now, just a matter of time before it goes back up. Electricity pricing here in LV seems cheap and more stable.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:10 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,028,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post

Heat pumps become less efficient as the weather gets colder. That's why they are usually configured with electrical resistance heating as a backup. I suspect the winters here may be too cold. Have you seen a heat pump installed here?

Old 05-27-2016, 02:41 PM

687 posts, read 4,404,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Heat pumps become less efficient as the weather gets colder. That's why they are usually configured with electrical resistance heating as a backup. I suspect the winters here may be too cold. Have you seen a heat pump installed here?
This is the perfect climate for a heat pump. Many homes here including mine, do not have electric resistance heat.
The trick is to not ever set it below 67-68 degrees. I've had mine heat the house just fine, even when we dipped down into the low 20's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: