Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2009, 07:39 PM

7 posts, read 28,302 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of having a 2 story home built. Was curious if someone could give me an estimate on the electric bill. A little info. It's being built by McBride(so comment on them if you want too) 2650 sq feet, or about, 2 story. The only special energy feature is a 2 zone HVAC, everything else is what ever McBride puts in the homes in terms of insulation, windows, etc. All electric although there is a going to be a gas fireplace which I might use in the winter. Being built in St. Charles County. I'm the only one living there, no pets either. Any ideas what the utilities would run me. I was figuring
200/mth electric during July/August & Jan/Feb. around 100 in the other none extreme weather months. I don't plan on having window blinds, probably just curtains which will probably be open. If i do get blinds, it would be only a couple windows.
20/mth for water
And I have no idea what gas would be for a fireplace in the winter.
Thanks

Last edited by brianlb; 05-11-2009 at 07:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 07:07 PM

172 posts, read 509,922 times
I would like to think that McBride would be able to give you some type of ball park figure. You may want to ask them to give you estimates of some of similar homes that they have built in the past.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,795 times
I built my own small two story home 1100 square ft. It is total electric built from materials available at the local lumber yard no special order anything. I only paid 400 dollars for the entire heating system brand new of which I only use half of the system. It has 2x4 exterior walls. The house looks as normal as any stick built house and it only uses 1200 dollars a year total electric. That is total cost of the electric bills. Not just the elctric itself but delivery and tax charges too. I keep my main thermostat on 72 always without turning it down at night or it wouold probably useless electric. I have lived in the home for over 5 years and it performs better than I imagined. After five years I can see things I could have done to make it even more efficient. There is no other source of energy (wood, solar, gas). It is located in Michigan. It really depends on how closey the builder pays attention to details. Make sure it has a blower door test after every pahse of construction (shell, wall coverings, & trim).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis