Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 03:02 PM

885 posts, read 1,166,274 times

Advertisements

Today my doctor told me that the dry heat in the desert would be good for my severe fibromyalgia- even better that the humid heat of Florida. Anyone move to LV for health reasons? Did the dry desert heat help you feel any better? We currently live in northern NY. So even the climate of southern NJ would be an improvement. LOL>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 04:52 PM

222 posts, read 225,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Today my doctor told me that the dry heat in the desert would be good for my severe fibromyalgia- even better that the humid heat of Florida. Anyone move to LV for health reasons? Did the dry desert heat help you feel any better? We currently live in northern NY. So even the climate of southern NJ would be an improvement. LOL>

I am not discounting the underlying symptoms, but I generally discount Fibromyalgia as being a good clinical diagnosis for anyone. If your experience is that your symptoms worsen when it is very cold, then maybe you should move to somewhere with a more mild winter weather. However, stating that a place is good for Fibromyalgia is problematic, because it tends to be a catch-all for Rheumaologists who are hesitant to either commit to a more specific diagnosis or exercise the "I don't know" option.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:17 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
Before you spend it all to move here, I would suggest trying it before you buy it! Come for an extended visit, rent an apartment and see for yourself. People have been relocating to the desert southwest for decades to get out of the cold and humidity. Some people are helped and others are not.

I don't have fibro so no help there. However when I lived in Minnesota I did get bronchitis at least every other year. Breathing super cold air for half the year made it much worse. I have been here since 2008 and I haven't been sick once except for the occasional cold. And colds here have been no big deal. Sniffly for a couple days and it's over.

It's too hot in the summer but overall I love it here. Dry is good for me but I do use a LOT more moisturizer!

A friend who has osteo-arthritis in his knee moved here over a year ago from NYC. He says he feels much better in this climate. And of course there is no slipping and falling on snow/ice. And he says it is 1000% more affordable to live here than in NYC too.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:40 AM

885 posts, read 1,166,274 times
Thank you everyone. Of course we would never move anywhere without seeing the place and "trying" it. My dr.- just yesterday- did say a warm climate would help, and "even better" would be someplace "like Las Vegas." There was 1 day here in NY that was very nice and warm and that was the first day in months that I had no pain. Crummy weather since that 1 day and now I'm in pain again. This summer we are going to Florida for a "look see". Just wanted some experiences from other people in a different climate.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:20 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
I have lived in Houston and that's pretty much just like Florida. The humidity makes the heat feel hotter and there is a lot of rain and you get the occasional hurricane. And there is a lot of mold/mildew and tons of bugs.

One thing you will notice right away here is very few bugs!

Old 05-17-2016, 06:03 PM

107 posts, read 149,266 times
Those of us who suffer from degenerative arthritis can do better with warm dry weather.

More importantly (for me, at least) is the phenomenon that many experience increased joint pain with changes of barometric pressure; e.g, before rain storms. Fortunately, there are far fewer rain storms in Nevada than in most other places.

guy

Old 05-21-2016, 06:23 PM

844 posts, read 1,441,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Go to a sauna.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:52 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
I'm sure you'd feel better in our dry climate. Since it's one of those problems caused by allergies that you aren't even aware of having, chances are good the things you might be allergic to don't exist here. Although I doubt if moving here would rid you of fibromyalgia completely, you still might feel better. Besides, look at the fun you'd have living here. And when you come, see Dr. Robt. Milne. Also, check out this site for a practitioner in your area right now: Nambudripad's Allergy Elimination Techniques

Other links:

Dr. Ellen Cutler | Navigating the Path to Health and Wellness

IBA Global Healing | Home

Milne Medical Center

Old 05-22-2016, 07:37 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,152,319 times
It has sure helped my arthritis.
And having several spinal repairs I am grateful that the weather ( pressure) here seems so stable compared to MN!

Old 05-23-2016, 01:11 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
My dad used to say, in WV, that he could tell it when it was going to rain because his bones started aching. I knew what he meant last month when we had all the rain. But it's so rare I kind of liked it anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: