Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 11:17 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,475,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyjones978 View Post
Ok, I'm going to try and word this correctly to prevent getting flammed by some people. This one line is dead on. I've been reading the articles about this shooting. One of the first few articles that LVRJ posted was an interview with the mother. She was quoted as saying something along the lines of [sic] "I never thought this would happen here....they told me when i bought here 7 years ago that it was a great place to build a family"

Yeah, well you know what? That was 7 years ago. Times change, no matter where you live. I think one of the big problems is that people that live in their gated communities and behind their walls think that they are immune to everything that goes on outside of those gates. Well guess what? You aren't.

I see so many hidden things in this story that I don't even know where to begin....
Truth is Davey..Summerlin is lovely. Tree lined streets, grassy parks, events for families...the PERFECT looking community.

But it is definately not immune to bad stuff going on. I remember, quite a few years ago, around 2000-2001, the Von's at the Trails Village had to hire a security officer, to patrol INSIDE the store....I was working part time there to earn a bit of extra money and get out of the house. Customers would be shocked when the fully uniformed security guard would patrol the store....I can't begin to tell you how many times I heard "but this is Summerlin, what do you need a security guard in here for!!!!???"

Well, not only for what goes on OUTSIDE the store (and especially, at the time, what went on at Trails Park right next door, drug dealing) but for also, what went on INSIDE the store, shoplifting and purse stealing. Not anything too horrific, but it was amazing to hear how shocked the customers were that this was going on...in Summerlin!

People really do need to realize that crime is everywhere in this world nowadays. And they need to stop being stupid enough to think there is such a place that crime doesn't exist...especially in a heavy growth area such as Las Vegas.

Last edited by MomMom; 02-21-2008 at 11:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 05:30 PM

278 posts, read 1,084,158 times
Default and the story unfolds a little more.

Las Vegas Now - Breaking News, Local News, Weather, Traffic, Streaming Video, Classifieds, Blogs - Suspects in Palo Verde Shooting Make First Court Appearance

Old 02-22-2008, 08:44 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,333,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
So, according to the girl who gave testimony and was riding in the car when the shooting occurred, the boy who was killed, and his friends, had an altercation with her outside of the school and "threw gang signs at her"

C'mon, the kid that was shot was in band and an honor student, not in a gang himself. But obviously the girl was....the actions and the deed those young people in the car did is typical of gang behavior.

Palo Verde has a history with gang activity...remember the 311 Boyz, some of the students involved in that gang were from Palo Verde as well as Centennial High School. The kids I know that go there can't wait to get the hell out of there.

I'd never send a kid to Palo Verde, I've heard nothing but bad things about that school. And apparently, from the kids I know that attend there, you really have to watch and mind your p's and q's while in school with some of the students.
"Threw gang signs"? Right, and every University of Texas sporting event has tens of thousands "throwing gang signs", as the "Longhorn" hand cheer is very similar to ms13 gang sign. Whatever happened to the proverb: "sticks and stones,etc"?

Old 02-22-2008, 09:39 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
you mean "sticks n stones may break my bones but an AK47 will blow my a$% away?"

Old 02-22-2008, 09:44 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,333,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
you mean "sticks n stones may break my bones but an AK47 will blow my a$% away?"
Yeah--- "I feared for my life", will be a good shoot, but this crap ain't gonna fly.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
"Threw gang signs"? Right, and every University of Texas sporting event has tens of thousands "throwing gang signs", as the "Longhorn" hand cheer is very similar to ms13 gang sign. Whatever happened to the proverb: "sticks and stones,etc"?
Exactly...I'm just wondering what REALLY happened...what the heck is "throwing gang signs" anyways? Was this "taunting" going on for a while?

So many unanswered questions in this case. Actually, two kids are dead..the one who got shot and the one who'll spend the rest of his days locked away...

Sad story all around.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:06 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Throwing gang signs to these kids is like pinky-betting was for us...it's binding and, unlike the pinky bets...it usually leads to death by a weapon.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:32 PM

Thanks jfk, I had heard there was some "taunting" going on...

It's the Cimmaron HS vs. Palo Verde HS thing, still going on, now it's turned violent.

Sad that a kid had to resort to such exteme violence to prove a point.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:33 AM

6 posts, read 22,807 times
[URL="//www.city-data.com/forum/members/dynimagelv-116341.html"]dynimagelv[/URL]
you are a crack up,,,,"sticks n stones may break my bones but an AK47 will blow my a$% away?" I"m on the floor laughing my ass off on that one!!!

Old 02-26-2008, 09:36 AM

6 posts, read 22,807 times
um,I was a nanny/caregiver in that area bye the temple almost 2yrs ago,and the oldest gal that attended high school there came home crying cause someone brought a gun to school there. its nothing new,and just cause the white guy was a honor student or whatever,doesnt always make him a innocent person either, there are more then two sides to a story,and god knows the truth. its just sad period that guns have to be involved in any situation,,,god bless!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas