Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 09:28 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,154,983 times
Then I would sugest downtown since it is both centrally located and inexpensive.

Sunday would be less crowded I would think.

Maybe something like that brewery place at Main Street Station or the Cal.
Just cuz they are off Fremont...as is the grand.

There's always Pizza Rock or all the other bars....maybe the gold spike for games?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 10:52 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,284,571 times
A Happy Hour on Friday in Downtown is in the lead now.

For Happy Hour choices Downtown these are the options from: Your Mammoth Guide to Happy Hours in Las Vegas - Eater Vegas

Quote:
Oscar's Steakhouse
Oscar’s steakhouse at the Plaza offers happy hour every day from 4 to 7 p.m. and a reverse happy hour from 9 p.m. to close on Sundays through Wednesdays. During happy hour, guests can get half off all beers, glasses of house wine and well drinks. Happy hour also offers half off a selection of appetizers. Thursday night is Ladies Night and ladies drink free beer, house wine and well drinks from 4 to 7 p.m.
Quote:
Itsy Bitsy Ramen & Whisky
Every Monday through Friday from 3 to 6 p.m. get bar bites for $3 to $6, like edamame, Japanese spring rolls, miso ramen or chicken Karaage, PBR draft drinks for $2 and all well drinks $3.
Quote:
Park on Fremont
Every Monday through Friday from 4 to 7 p.m. and 11 p.m., happy hour includes mac and cheese balls, pretzel bites, garbage fries, mini corn dogs and tacos for $6 and well cocktails for $3, domestic draft beers for $4, and craft beers on draft priced at $5.
Quote:
Commonwealth
Happy hour every Wednesday through Friday from 6 to 9 p.m. includes domestic beers and well cocktails, priced at $3, and craft beers and premium cocktails, priced at $5.
Quote:
Glutton
Every Tuesday through Friday from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m., guests can bring in a paid parking meter receipt from that same day and receive one free beer, wine or well drink with the purchase of food. Also, two-for-one drink specials include beer, wine and well drinks, or order "Bartender's Fancy" for $5, where the bartender chooses the drink for you.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:42 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,323,104 times
Seems every place suggested is somewhere to drink and party or is a noisy place. Do you think there might be a few people who would not be interested in happy hour half price drinks or sports bars with games playing on 10 tv's. Just thinking........I'm sure there are all ages represented here as well as all personality types. Maybe there is a quieter place out there where people can hear each other and not compete with rowdy background noise. A place that is classy and relaxing where we can make our own noise, carry on conversations and then possibly opt to have a nice meal or sandwich?

Old 08-28-2016, 09:03 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,154,983 times
That's what made me think of the main street station brewery place.
Never seems real busy when I have looked in there and they have food as well.

Unless you are someone who does not drink you don;t really notice how "junked out" our culture is on booze

I think it matters little where we go on a Friday night around happy hour. I think most places would be busy at that time.

I am game for anything...well MOST anything

Old 08-28-2016, 03:48 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,312,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robojester View Post
That's what made me think of the main street station brewery place.
Never seems real busy when I have looked in there and they have food as well.

Unless you are someone who does not drink you don;t really notice how "junked out" our culture is on booze

I think it matters little where we go on a Friday night around happy hour. I think most places would be busy at that time.

I am game for anything...well MOST anything
One of our big meetups was at that very place. It worked well. Everyone could eat and drink if they chose. After, those that wanted to headed out to Fremont Street. A couple of us rode the zip line, even.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 867 times
Quick introduction: My wife and I are planning to relocate to the Las Vegas area. We have been reading several of the threads on this site and are very appreciative of the insight many of you have given us. So thanks for that. We will be coming out for five days at the end of September (25th -30th) and would love to meet up with anyone who has the time. Love the Triple 7 inside the Main Street Station. Great vibe, good happy hour and not too noisy. Not sure if that will be a good timing for the meetup you are currently trying to arrange but just thought we'd put this out there. Keep up the great posts!!

Old 09-02-2016, 11:34 PM

September is turning to be a really bad month for me to meet up with all my husband's fellowship interviews across the country. It's become hectic.

I saw in Eater Vegas that Cornish Pasty is opening in the Las Vegas Art District Downtown in October.

Cornish Pasty Co. Reveals Timetable for Move Downtown - Eater Vegas

If you all are interested we could do our meetup there when the new place opens. We know they have good food at reasonable prices and this way they'll have more space and we can check out their new place.

If you guys want to have a September meetup though that's fine too, but likely I won't be able to make this one so go ahead and plan without me.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:52 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,323,104 times
I can see your logic in picking a centralized location and October should be a nice coolish month but English cuisine? They are really not known to have one and how many people would be interested in pot pies? I myself think, for a one menu fits all, something mid range and American would do everyone well. Just a suggestion.

I'm curious and have to ask. What are fellowship interviews? Sounds very interesting.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
I can see your logic in picking a centralized location and October should be a nice coolish month but English cuisine? They are really not known to have one and how many people would be interested in pot pies? I myself think, for a one menu fits all, something mid range and American would do everyone well. Just a suggestion.

I'm curious and have to ask. What are fellowship interviews? Sounds very interesting.
Cornish pasty has something for everyone. They're not really chicken pot pies. It's more like gourmet hot pockets with fresh ingredients cooked in a conventional oven. They do have a chicken pot pie flavor for one option. They also offer English comfort food such as a shepherds pie version. Then there is a pasty based off of the American Thanksgiving with roast turkey cranberries and stuffing. They also have an Indian flavored one called chicken tiki marsala which is amazingly delicious. I highly recommend that one.

The pasty's are around $10 and the portion size is so big that you can eat half of it and be full and wrap the other half in foil and take it home. They have three kinds of soups in a bowl that they serve with two thick slices of warm yummy bread and butter. It's a meal in itself that's under five dollars and I go there often just for that.

This new location is opening in the art district and would be fun to meets on a First Friday. The First Friday in October is on October 7. All the article says is that they'll be open early October so no guarantee that it will be by that time. If not there's the First Friday in November, November 4. But we don't have to wait that long. We can do any Friday after the new place opens and during their happy hour which is from 3 PM to 6 PM usually. Plus I thought it would be fun to see the new restaurant with their full bar when it's open after they relocate. The last location or current location is also really fun but will be closing soon for the move.

People have always talked really highly about it on here if you search past threads. I'd like to plan a meetup there in October or November depending on when they open anyways just to see it and try the atmosphere.

There may be another meetup planned this month if they want to go for it. I think they're suggesting along the same lines of what you're suggesting. Unfortunately September is tight for me with my husband's schedule. I've already had to cancel three others things I was going to since this takes precedence.

To answer your question in medicine fellowship is a subspecialization after you complete residency. It's like going for your PhD after you complete your Masters. His sister did her PhD at Johns Hopkins in the electricity of the heart for cardiology and her husband, his brother in law, also did his PhD at Johns Hopkins in orthopedic surgery. But he's been an orthopedic surgeon for 20 years back in their home country and she's already an interventional and EP cardiologist there as well. This is just the highest levels of training that they could take their careers with the MD/PhD thing. Here it's also continuing training in Graduate Medical Education (GME).

Fellowship is on a different match schedule than the main residency match. We had to apply in July and then we interview across the country until November and then we enter our rank order list (ROL) and we find out where we match in December. The ROL is the list of hospitals programs that you interviewed at and would like to work at in order of preference. The hospital programs have a list of people that they interviewed that they want to have train in their programs in order of preference. The match is when the algorithm goes threw these lists in order of preferences and matches the residents and fellows up with the hospital programs preferences. The main residency match cycle for all graduating medical students across the United States and ECFMG certified international medical graduates is applied to in September. Then they interview at hospital programs across the country until Jan/Feb and their main match is in March. Their residencies are for 1-7 years depending on the speciality they go into. So for fellowship the sub-specialization are a different interview and match schedule as to not bog the system down.

However, residency and fellowship training programs both start July 1 across the country. We call it the medical new year. Each year in training after medical school is called Post Graduate Training. So when July first comes around a new resident starts Post Graduate Year-1 (PGY-1) or Intern year. Every year they level up so it becomes PGY-2, PGY-3 and so forth.

In fellowship even though they're done with residency training and can sit for their medical boards in the speciality with their training hours completed this calculation for the system continues. So a first year fellow in Cardiology will be a doctor of Internal Medicine and a PGY-4, PGY-5 or PGY-6. The level of training also has to do with the level of GME pay. Plus they can do more than one residency or fellowship and be double, triple board certified in multiple specialties. Training could go on endlessly if they wanted.

It's also why they say don't schedule your surgery in July because you have new trainees. lol

Last edited by Merrily Gather; 09-06-2016 at 01:41 AM..

Old 09-06-2016, 08:43 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,312,665 times
I have been to a Cornish Pasty here in Phoenix. I wasn't sure what it was going to be like, but I was very pleasantly surprised. They have a TON of vegetarian options as well. Definitely something for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas