Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 03:32 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,580,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
I heard the Reno-Tahoe area is due for "The Big One" as well, will be an interesting time when it happens to see what areas are affected, of course hoping no lives are lost.
I remember reading somewhere that there are various active faults that criss cross the Las Vegas Valley, and there is one particular fault near Frenchman Mountain, that if conditions are right, could cause a quake large enough to level the entire city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 04:44 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,455,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I remember reading somewhere that there are various active faults that criss cross the Las Vegas Valley, and there is one particular fault near Frenchman Mountain, that if conditions are right, could cause a quake large enough to level the entire city
Oh wow certainly don't want that!

I never worry about the 'big one', overhere in New Zealand we're well overdue for the 'big one' but I don't let it get to me.

Am always interested in all the faults and what not in CA and NV and what they're doing.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:01 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
the most noticible is driving west on ALTA between Decatur and Upland...that hill isn't just a hill

Old 09-29-2010, 06:59 PM

6 posts, read 24,406 times
Default Geological Engineer

The Walker-Lane fault system which is the most eastern part of the San Andreas fault system runs from Reno to the Boulder Dam. This Fault has moved in the Las Vegas Valley before as a strong quake and the evidence is the Decatur Uplift that you encounter when you drive west along Sahara or Charleston. This uplift is a vertical fault displacement of at least 100 vertical feet. The springs at the Springs Preserve are caused by water moving up this fault to the surface. I can see evidence in the street in front of my house (cracked asphalt) that the earthquake in Wells also occurred here in Henderson but at a much lessor strength. I suggest you expect more earthquake activity in the Las Vegas Valley during the next two years. We have been lucky and soon our luck will change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEPNYC View Post
I realize it was far North of Vegas, just wondering.

A 6.0 magnitude earthquake struck Nevada on Thursday, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

The quake, centered 15 miles southeast of Wells, Nevada, struck at 7:16 a.m. PST, with a shallow epicenter of 3.7 miles.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:45 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdistel View Post
The Walker-Lane fault system which is the most eastern part of the San Andreas fault system runs from Reno to the Boulder Dam. This Fault has moved in the Las Vegas Valley before as a strong quake and the evidence is the Decatur Uplift that you encounter when you drive west along Sahara or Charleston. This uplift is a vertical fault displacement of at least 100 vertical feet. The springs at the Springs Preserve are caused by water moving up this fault to the surface. I can see evidence in the street in front of my house (cracked asphalt) that the earthquake in Wells also occurred here in Henderson but at a much lessor strength. I suggest you expect more earthquake activity in the Las Vegas Valley during the next two years. We have been lucky and soon our luck will change.
Do you mean Walker LAKE fault?

Why do you think there will be earthquake activity in the next two years?

Once or twice, I've seen in the news that there may have been a slight trimmer, but nobody felt them. We did feel one that was in California a few years ago, but that's the only one I've ever heard and felt, or had anyone else say they noticed.

You're right though, we have been lucky, and we could have an earthquake sometime. Do you happen to know when the last one was?

Old 09-30-2010, 09:55 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Dont you remember Buzzard.....we were both there for it.....

Old 09-30-2010, 05:08 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Dont you remember Buzzard.....we were both there for it.....
Weee wuzzz?????

Old 09-30-2010, 06:57 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Poor Wells! When I was doing my rural Nevada trip in May, being in Elko and so close by, I was curious to see how they were recovering from that nasty quake they had in 2008.

There was barricades up and down the streets downtown, didn't look like they were doing anything to restore the town. Some empty motels I saw leaving town. Very sad and pathetic.

I got the feeling that this poor town has given up!

Last edited by tijlover; 09-30-2010 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: change wording

Old 10-15-2010, 05:23 PM

6 posts, read 24,406 times
Lightbulb The USGS has mapped most of the faults in the Las Vegas valley

The USGS records earthquake activity every day for the California-Nevada area. They post their findings on earthquake maps that can be seen by logging onto the USGS and the associated websites. The most major fault adjacent to Frenchman Mountain was key to the uplift that caused the mountain to reach its current height. Should this fault move (resulting in an earthquake) there would be a fairly large seismic event that would shake the Las Vegas valley strongly. I am aware that a great deal of the housing construction in the Las Vegas valley is wood based with stucco covering and has a heavy tile roof. Such would not do well if an earthquake were to cause the ground to move back and forth sideways. When an earthquake hits the Las Vegas valley with any strength (4 to 6 on the Reighter scale used by the USGS) it will cause such swaying. There could be a lot of homes damaged. The probability of such an earthquake of this magnitude hitting the Las Vegas valley within the next 2 to 4 years is greater than 35% (per the USGS local office). The new PBS television facility has been built earthquake proof because of this prediction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post

Old 10-15-2010, 05:28 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,475,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdistel View Post
The USGS records earthquake activity every day for the California-Nevada area. They post their findings on earthquake maps that can be seen by logging onto the USGS and the associated websites. The most major fault adjacent to Frenchman Mountain was key to the uplift that caused the mountain to reach its current height. Should this fault move (resulting in an earthquake) there would be a fairly large seismic event that would shake the Las Vegas valley strongly. I am aware that a great deal of the housing construction in the Las Vegas valley is wood based with stucco covering and has a heavy tile roof. Such would not do well if an earthquake were to cause the ground to move back and forth sideways. When an earthquake hits the Las Vegas valley with any strength (4 to 6 on the Reighter scale used by the USGS) it will cause such swaying. There could be a lot of homes damaged. The probability of such an earthquake of this magnitude hitting the Las Vegas valley within the next 2 to 4 years is greater than 35% (per the USGS local office). The new PBS television facility has been built earthquake proof because of this prediction.
So........ you staying or leaving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas