Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 02:01 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,569,037 times

Advertisements

In the market for a second used car. Has anyone here actually had any luck through craigslist? I've run into scammer after idiot with nothing in between. The only reason I keep looking there is because dealers mark up used cars astronomically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 02:41 PM

122 posts, read 123,846 times
I was lucky last year. Picked up a really low mileage F150 that has been great.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:45 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
You'll learn to discern the scammers and idiots - there ARE deals out there. I usually focus on the ads >30 days old. If they still have the car, they've come to realize that no one wants it at their price point, and are usually much more amenable to reasonable offers.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:09 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,118,948 times
After my wrecks last year, I scoured craigslist for used cars to pay cash. I called hundreds of people. I even started calling people for cars I didn't even want. (Calling, texting, or emailing depending on what the ad called for) I had no luck at all.

I've listed cars on craigslist with about as much luck.

However, I did get my Cressida off Craigslist when I wasn't really looking for a car.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:24 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,589,910 times
Not sure what you are looking to spend but the Costco auto program does do used cars. Also definitely use a car check program to check for accidents etc. Recently a friend posted her dad's car on face book, I really never thought about looking there before...Also you might check the bulletin boards at local muni golf courses you might find a vehicle there. Just an idea anyway.

Also check cars.com especially in Calif.
And autotrader.com

Last edited by Packrat1; 09-20-2016 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 09-20-2016, 06:55 PM
EA

Have to consider the price points. I'm not buying a 2 year old Porsche off craigslist. I'm buying a 1500 dollar truck off craigslist. It's history doesn't really matter because it's a 1500 dollar truck.

With autotrader I am looking for a 2-4 year old vehicle. Since people have to pay to list there, the cars are typically in decent shape. You're going to pay a decent penny for these cars.

With message boards and stuff like that, you're probably dealing with a crazy person, even if the car is good, the person is crazy and you will probably find them, naked, in your new car, smoking crack talking to a duck they just stole out of a kid's petting zoo.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:12 PM

625 posts, read 797,331 times
Im only buying on craigslist if its an older car, nothing over 3k. I got a 93 accord off of there for 1500.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:24 PM
EA

Exactly. I like cheap cars, so I do go to craigslist a lot. I don't have much luck with it, but I have enough.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:48 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,673,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
In the market for a second used car. Has anyone here actually had any luck through craigslist? I've run into scammer after idiot with nothing in between. The only reason I keep looking there is because dealers mark up used cars astronomically.
And no sales tax on private party transactions is a HUGE PLUS over buying from a car lot.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:49 AM

654 posts, read 1,323,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
And no sales tax on private party transactions is a HUGE PLUS over buying from a car lot.
This.

Buy a used car for $12,500 from a dealer - likely already a big markup - and you can plan on paying another $1000+ for sales tax. That $12,500 car just became a $13,500+ car & possibly more depending on what random fees the dealer adds.

Full disclosure: I paid the sales tax when I bought my car several years ago, mostly out of frustration looking for used cars on Craigslist & the like. In the past, I'd always been a used car guy, but I also ran into scammers/idiots/etc wherever I looked. People in dreamland wanting well over book value and/or 'curbstoners' (small time unlicensed unofficial 'dealers') who were always 'selling for a friend or family member'. Amazing how many how lost titles or a story why the salvage title didn't matter or out of state title with a story that didn't add up - it was amazing some of the stuff I experienced.

While I was fully prepared to buy a late model used car (and would do so again), in this case I was able to find a new car for a used car price (sticker close to $20K, I paid $11K, w/TTL $12.6K out the door). Otherwise, I would've avoided the sales tax route if at all possible.

It's been several years since I shopped via Craigslist/etc for myself, though I have helped a few friends. My experience more recently has been similar to what others including TexasRedneck have mentioned. You may have to kiss a lot of frogs along the way but you ought to eventually find your prince. If it were me, I'd be prepared to expand my search area if necessary. Be patient & persistent - plenty of scammers & idiots along the way. Keep us updated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas