Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 12:34 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Thanks for the advice so far. I really appreciate it. I guess I didn't make it clear, like...I don't want to get my masters in Education because I don't want to be a teacher for more than a few years and i definitely don't want to have to teach for three years after doing an additional year of this fellowship program. This was more just something to do because I did not have a ton of other options (one job paying 39k in Manhattan) so a move to Vegas would just be to make an income and save some money towards my student loans. I also should mention my girlfriend who currently lives in Washington DC has found several transfer opportunities for her job to Las Vegas. Her salary is 52k in DC but they are offering ~44k for the same position in Las Vegas. She is very much willing to make the move now that she sees there's opportunity out there. Our combined income (given that i pass this course and the PRAXIS test) woulds be about 85k. I didn't mention her earlier because there was a good chance I move out there on my own first as a trailblazer so to speak-I was already used to the long distance thing. I think I will make the move once I save up about $1,200, whether that's from a moving advance from CCSD, or anywhere else. with 85k we can easily afford an apartment that is 1,700 per month if we want so if we had to live on a month by month or 3 month lease on a cheap apartment I think we'd be just fine.
You are thinking of coming here with $1200 in your pocket? And you have student loans for a job that pays 39k in Manhattan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 06:16 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
You are thinking of coming here with $1200 in your pocket? And you have student loans for a job that pays 39k in Manhattan?
I'm thinking of it yeah... i have survived on a lot less for longer periods of time. But again, I wouldn't move there without having passed all the requirements for an ARL at the very least, if i haven't already totally secured the job.

My student loans have nothing to do with the job in Manhattan. I was just saying the only other job offerI had out of college besides this one in Boston was a job that paid 39k and I would be located in Manhattan, that's why I didn't take it-not enough money. I think this job with slightly higher pay in Las Vegas would be well worth the years delay.

Old 09-30-2016, 04:07 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
That's not enough money to come here with. Line up the job first if you can, and don't make the move without several months worth of living expenses, or at least enough to get yourself an apartment.

What you are talking about coming with wouldn't get you in anything but a weekly, and you'd have no food or gas, or car insurance money. That money wouldn't last you a month unless you got really lucky.

The weeklies are also less than desirable. Unless you are looking to score hookers and blow. Then they're great. Know what I mean? Don't mess yourself over by coming unprepared.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:38 PM

792 posts, read 1,302,177 times
You sound like a young guy, fairly well educated, ambitious, with a whole life ahead of you. NLVgal gave you about the best advice possible....as did other posters...Vegas can be a rough town broke and Murphy's Law is alive and well out here ...trust what you are being told..!

Old 10-02-2016, 11:10 PM

17 posts, read 14,938 times
From Dorchester also (Neponset Circle), stay where you are and finish school first. Save up a little and move here when you are in a better situation. Moved here two years ago, love almost all of it. Hard to meet friends though (I am 31 years old) and the club scene is not for me.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:41 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,964,579 times
Save as much as you can and consider Dallas Tx. Much better night life and you can visit per Southwest.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:11 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromBoston617 View Post
From Dorchester also (Neponset Circle), stay where you are and finish school first. Save up a little and move here when you are in a better situation. Moved here two years ago, love almost all of it. Hard to meet friends though (I am 31 years old) and the club scene is not for me.
I'm taking on two part time jobs right now so I can move to Vegas by the fall. With those jobs ($600/month and my current stipend ($565/month I should easily be able to save $700 a month after tax. This will allow me to save up the money I need to over. I've also got an online meeting lined up for tomorrow with the TeachVegas Program. I am going to pass on the grad school because a masters in education isn't for me. I guess its better than no masters at all...but that is settling. Tired of settling i kind of just want to move to where I want to move and get the masters I want to get. I'm hoping that by March I can have a solid $2000 saved up. this is sort of an ongoing plan, so If it seems like this is a work in progress it is. I took up these jobs to avoid enrolling in this grad school. After complete this year of teaching I get ~5250 after tax towards my student loans. So in the end, its not going to be as though I did this year of teaching for nothing. You all have successfully persuaded me to save more money up before I come but Im pretty sold on not doing the masters. Ill be checking in soon, thank yall so much.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:13 AM

792 posts, read 1,302,177 times
Life is a journey, my friend. Vegas will always be here, and between now and the time you hit 30, your vision might change several times. Enjoy the experience, This is a town where being broke is no fun, and personal transportation is almost a must. Save up a few bucks...make a visit....you are on your way...Good Luck !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: