Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 10:32 AM

244 posts, read 332,496 times

Advertisements

You cannot build a housing recovery on a foundation of toxic debt. It won't work. What you're seeing is deception, a diversion. People are not so gullible any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 02:18 PM

557 posts, read 793,975 times
For those posters that keep predicting "doom and gloom" in the housing market I have a few questions.

What is a family with young children looking to stay in one place and build roots in the community to do?
Any posters with a "doom and gloom" view have any children ?
Is there ever a time to buy, if so when ?

IMHO nothing is perfect, and when you factor raising children into the equation I see now as a great time to buy versus waiting until you and the family are too old. BTW I paid 94 dollars a square foot in the Henderson area last yaer and feel pretty good about it.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:29 PM

743 posts, read 968,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlyliveonce View Post
I paid 94 dollars a square foot in the Henderson area last yaer and feel pretty good about it.
good point about raising a family and glad you like your house.

What's weird on my own purchase last month is:
I paid $258k for a 3600sqft. house off of Twain and Ft. Apache (about $71sqft)
The thing went up to $270,000 last month then lost $4,000 this month and is valued at $266,000.
It's carpeted, nothing fancy, no pool, but everything smaller than this in the area is going for over $300k, and you can't find something listed like this for the price I paid...what's with that $266,000 value?

Old 03-29-2013, 02:37 PM

557 posts, read 793,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardogfsu View Post
good point about raising a family and glad you like your house.

What's weird on my own purchase last month is:
I paid $258k for a 3600sqft. house off of Twain and Ft. Apache (about $71sqft)
The thing went up to $270,000 last month then lost $4,000 this month and is valued at $266,000.
It's carpeted, nothing fancy, no pool, but everything smaller than this in the area is going for over $300k, and you can't find something listed like this for the price I paid...what's with that $266,000 value?
I use COMPS from Redfin on recent sales within 3 months, that should be an accurate number. If your house is worth 300k or 250k is there a difference if you are not moving ? The value you receive in raising your family in the security of your home is priceless. Enjoy

Old 03-29-2013, 04:59 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,811,791 times
Well about through with March. The price rise appears to be accelerating. SFR pricing is up over 3% in March. Inventory is down a little, bit too soon to tell about sales volume.

Sure looks like this thing has legs. Note that one component is that the price of foreclosures is going up real fast. So if you dumped more foreclosures into the mix the price likely goes up even more.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:02 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,952,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Well about through with March. The price rise appears to be accelerating. SFR pricing is up over 3% in March. Inventory is down a little, bit too soon to tell about sales volume.

Sure looks like this thing has legs. Note that one component is that the price of foreclosures is going up real fast. So if you dumped more foreclosures into the mix the price likely goes up even more.
Las Vegas unemployment rate just dropped below 10%. That has to be the real story.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:14 PM

347 posts, read 542,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlyliveonce View Post
For those posters that keep predicting "doom and gloom" in the housing market I have a few questions.

What is a family with young children looking to stay in one place and build roots in the community to do?
Any posters with a "doom and gloom" view have any children ?
Is there ever a time to buy, if so when ?

IMHO nothing is perfect, and when you factor raising children into the equation I see now as a great time to buy versus waiting until you and the family are too old. BTW I paid 94 dollars a square foot in the Henderson area last yaer and feel pretty good about it.
If you are buying for the long term this is a great time, as the up and down in the next 1-10 years to come will not mean anything for you. The greatest time seems to have been from 2010 July - 2012 May as those times seems to be the lowest prices in the valley with great low interest rates.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:39 PM

59 posts, read 91,062 times
From LVJ today;

"Rick Phillips, president of FTN Financial Main Street Advisors, said "zombie foreclosures" are definitely a material problem for Las Vegas and will put downward pressure on home prices.

He also expects to see prices decline if Nevada's robo-signing law is revised in the Legislature."

Las Vegas Review Journal : Half of Nevada foreclosed homes are vacant, abandoned

Old 03-29-2013, 05:52 PM

743 posts, read 968,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader Joe99 View Post
From LVJ today;

"Rick Phillips, president of FTN Financial Main Street Advisors, said "zombie foreclosures" are definitely a material problem for Las Vegas and will put downward pressure on home prices.

He also expects to see prices decline if Nevada's robo-signing law is revised in the Legislature."

Las Vegas Review Journal : Half of Nevada foreclosed homes are vacant, abandoned
Hi Joe, when will be a good time to buy?

Old 03-29-2013, 06:20 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,811,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader Joe99 View Post
From LVJ today;

Quote from article...

"Nevada is No. 13, with 6,070 vacant foreclosures. "

Why don't you reference the actual article rather than a limited facebook quote?

6,000 homes spaced over a year or more is not going to make any impression. In fact hard to notice against the 400,000 properties.

Half of Nevada foreclosed homes are vacant, abandoned | Las Vegas Review-Journal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas