Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2011, 02:13 PM

1,631 posts, read 3,951,794 times

Advertisements

This is mind boggling how long we have been in this housing mess and they still can't figure out what to do and how to make the process flow smoothly.

Nevadans miss chance to avoid foreclosures

Jeanne Bullock parted with her grand piano. Now, she might lose her home. The longtime local musician was forced to ship her beloved piano to a music store in Maryland owned by her brother. Like...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 03:29 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I think it even more complicated than that. Note that the "banks"in general don't own these properties. They are owned by some form of a securitized investor. The decision on how to proceed comes from the investor and not the bank.
Totally correct there.

Quote:
The situation is also rife with the opportunity for hanky pank. And I am sure some of it is going on. A chosen investor gets whispered to that the bank will not bid on a particular property. The investor picks it up on the cheap and resells it for a 30 or 40K profit. Where does that money go? There has never been such an opportunity for fraud that has gone unexercised.
I 100% believe this is not happening. These are public auctions so it really doesn't matter if an investor knows the bank will or won't bid on the property. The bidding isn't sealed bid, it keeps going until no one is willing to pay more. If the "tipped off" investor bids low enough to make 30-40k in the property, all it takes is another investor to step up and offer 1 penny more (literally) to take the house.

I can't see there is any benefit from knowing the opening bids for any property except if you know it's low then an investor can do more due diligence and possibly pay more money for the property if everything looks good.

If you go to the auctions, it's the same people every day bidding on homes. There are a few new people here and there that want to pickup properties, but the core set of people buying is the same and they're buying a million+ a week in properties. These people it is their business and they won't let a deal pass them by.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:11 PM

351 posts, read 837,146 times
Very interesting. I've seen addresses located on the MLS as a short sale or "contingent offer" & then also scheduled at trustee auction that same week. Of the addresses listed on the trustee sale calendar, what percentage would you guess are actually sold to a buyer (as opposed to being taken back by the loan holder)? Positive reps to you all-thank you!

Old 01-30-2011, 05:21 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
Totally correct there.

I 100% believe this is not happening. These are public auctions so it really doesn't matter if an investor knows the bank will or won't bid on the property. The bidding isn't sealed bid, it keeps going until no one is willing to pay more. If the "tipped off" investor bids low enough to make 30-40k in the property, all it takes is another investor to step up and offer 1 penny more (literally) to take the house.

I can't see there is any benefit from knowing the opening bids for any property except if you know it's low then an investor can do more due diligence and possibly pay more money for the property if everything looks good.

If you go to the auctions, it's the same people every day bidding on homes. There are a few new people here and there that want to pickup properties, but the core set of people buying is the same and they're buying a million+ a week in properties. These people it is their business and they won't let a deal pass them by.
I will guarantee you the hanky pank goes on. The difficulty however is that I know of no way to tell the hanky pank from incompetence. Though in some cases the incompetence may be worse than the hanky pank. I would think the bank can throw in a bid up to the value of the mortgage if it choses to and may do so if the correct bidder is not winning. What one really needs to know is what instructions the bank actually has from the security investor...if any...

The situation is ripe for fraud. This is Las Vegas. I therefore think it a pretty good bet that the fraud is occurring.

But who knows....maybe it is all just gross incompetence.

I still have a 200K property trustee saled for 138K and then resold for $175K. These guys are all playing to buy at 75% of real value or less?

Had a security investor turn down a 9K note from a short seller the other day. If not cash they did not want to deal with it.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:31 AM

351 posts, read 837,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 license to sell View Post
This is just one example of why it's going to take years to get through the foreclosure inventory.
Bank of America: Overturn order halting 8,900 Nevada foreclosures
007, I'd really appreciate an update on this situation when available. In my dreams all the foreclosures are dumped on the market on the same day & I get my pick of condos to buy!

Old 01-31-2011, 10:56 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaslocal55 View Post
007, I'd really appreciate an update on this situation when available. In my dreams all the foreclosures are dumped on the market on the same day & I get my pick of condos to buy!
It is not going to happen. The system has limited throughput and is running close to that limit. The clerical process prevents any large peak. All it means is the queues got bigger...the rate in and out remains about the same.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:50 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
... The situation is ripe for fraud. This is Las Vegas. I therefore think it a pretty good bet that the fraud is occurring...

FRAUD??? In Las Vegas??? I'm shocked. SHOCKED I tell you. It's time to round up the usual suspects.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:46 PM

815 posts, read 2,052,435 times
It's time to round up the usual suspects

Politicians, businessmen & bankers? or are they going to blame it on
Immigrants, middle class and the homeless?

Old 02-01-2011, 03:15 PM

1,631 posts, read 3,951,794 times
I think you will find this interesting, this video email is usually sent to loan officers and realtors. The information is something I think the public needs to know regarding the foreclosures.

Housing Double Dip or Dance Craze? - 01.31.11

Watch Video

Old 02-01-2011, 06:11 PM

787 posts, read 1,776,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 license to sell View Post
I think you will find this interesting, this video email is usually sent to loan officers and realtors. The information is something I think the public needs to know regarding the foreclosures.

Housing Double Dip or Dance Craze? - 01.31.11

Watch Video

Wow, really!? That's how real-estate market info and forecasts are disseminated within the industry? That's the sort of presentation it takes to make real-estate industry "professionals" pay attention?

I thought you people analyzed macro economic trends combined with local market dynamics, historical price trends, the overall money supply and interest rates and the like... But I guess goofy guys dancing around and offering simpleton analysis and explanation is easier to digest, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas