Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2014, 03:19 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,838,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
They MUST mean lower housing prices, because the higher interest rates collapse the buying power of the mortgage payment.

Think what you want. When it hits we'll see the results. But ask yourself this, why has the Fed been suppressing interest rates if this is not the case?
The feds have been suppressing interest rates to prevent deflation. Nothing more. And successfully, If you check the standard economic discussion we should have been into hyper inflation years ago. Did not happen did it?

The buyer simply buys a smaller house. Does not required less houses. In fact buyers are buying less houses now with the low interest rates.

So little if any correlation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 03:46 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
They MUST mean lower housing prices, because the higher interest rates collapse the buying power of the mortgage payment.

Think what you want. When it hits we'll see the results. But ask yourself this, why has the Fed been suppressing interest rates if this is not the case?
No. It's not a "MUST" for lower housing prices if people are earning more money at a faster pace than their dollars are losing value. (The value of the US dollar is actually up lately!) Pay attention to headlines. Fast food workers were striking across the country last week... some asking for $15/hr! Minimum wage debates are being fought in multiple states. Expect more strikes. And that's just the lower wage workers. I don't know a single person who is making the same or less than they were making in 2008, do you? If so, they're far outnumbered.

2 minutes and a simple google search will prove that higher interest rates are not necessarily correlated to lower house prices. You are only looking at a small part of a much bigger, more complicated economy once interest rates rise. You have to ask yourself why they would be rising.

My entire point is that there is often an OPPOSITE effect on the market when wages are rising and the velocity of money finally picks up.

You're right about the Fed pumping money into the system and that actually proves my point. When the velocity of money goes up (which currently is at a standstill), what do you think the most important thing to do is? BUY HARD ASSETS. I'm just looking at historical, real-world data. This is nothing controversial.

If your point is that the Fed is stupid to do this, you'll get no argument from me. Everything is way out of balance and there will be big losers and big winners when we revert to the mean, but it may not play out the way you think it will.

M1 Money Multiplier - FRED - St. Louis Fed

Old 09-07-2014, 05:45 PM

848 posts, read 650,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
Put your money where your mouth is Irish. Sell your house and start renting if you believe the burst is looming.
There are other ways for one to put their money where the mouth is with regard to where the economy is heading. Further, I did put my money where my mouth was by buying a home in this area when everyone was negative about housing. I am perfectly happy with my house, and it serves its primary function quite well which is to provide shelter for my family.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
All historical data to the contrary:

Draw a line on that graph and extrapolate the long term trendline. Where does that line intersect with 2014?

Again... this has all been discussed here before.
Based on June 2014 S&P/Case-Shiller data, I would say it is doing exactly as I said. I think posting this graph is highly misleading. You ought to post one with up-to-date data. The index as of June 2014 stands at 135.12 which is significantly higher than the last data point on the graph you posted.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Irish View Post
Based on June 2014 S&P/Case-Shiller data, I would say it is doing exactly as I said. I think posting this graph is highly misleading. You ought to post one with up-to-date data. The index as of June 2014 stands at 135.12 which is significantly higher than the last data point on the graph you posted.
It was not meant to be misleading at all. I just can't find a current chart past 2013 when I search for "case shiller las vegas chart". Even so, extending the trendline to 2014 would imply the index should be over 150.

If there is a mean reversion, it's to the upside, not the downside.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
It was not meant to be misleading at all. I just can't find a current chart past 2013 when I search for "case shiller las vegas chart". Even so, extending the trendline to 2014 would imply the index should be over 150.

If there is a mean reversion, it's to the upside, not the downside.
I think that is being generous. I believe it would be closer to 125. In any event, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:47 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,563,870 times
Quote:
There are other ways for one to put their money where the mouth is with regard to where the economy is heading. Further, I did put my money where my mouth was by buying a home in this area when everyone was negative about housing. I am perfectly happy with my house, and it serves its primary function quite well which is to provide shelter for my family.
But if you believed that the housing market is about to burst again then the most financially wise option would be to sell your current place and rent till the burst happened.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:57 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,833,522 times
Las Vegas is not facing a real estate bust, even if interest rates creep up. The demand for ownership of a home is solid. Just read the pages of City-Data to see that plenty of folks want to buy, not rent.

The plain fact of the matter is that real estate for sale in the Valley is reasonable priced.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
I think that is being generous. I believe it would be closer to 125. In any event, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
The graph clearly shows the trendline was at 125 back in 2003.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
The graph clearly shows the trendline was at 125 back in 2003.
While not as dramatic as in later years, 2003 pricing in Las Vegas was above the long-term trend line, not on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas