Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 11:47 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,120,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Would you really? When the ladies start to park customers up and down the block and there are two shootings near the property next door? How about a new half way house for pedophiles and drug addicts?

Or perhaps they start shooting crows..and you find a half dozen 22 rounds in your stucco.

Just cross it off? Boys will be boys? Really

YOUR bullets in MY house is MY problem. If you shoot YOUR house, that's YOUR problem.

Block MY driveway with YOUR car, that is MY problem. Block YOUR driveway with YOUR car, that's YOUR problem. See how this works?

Don't tell me how to live my life, and I won't tell you how to live yours. It's a pretty simple concept. Your freedom ends where mine begins. If my trash stays on my property it's none of your damn business. You don't pay my bills, so butt out.

And, my yard is very tidy, thank you very much. I keep my trees trimmed, and my trash in the trash can.
My junk car stays hidden inside the garage. I don't make any noise after dark or before sunrise. I don't mess with other people and other people don't mess with me. It's fantastic.
If something of mine interferes with something of yours, then it's of your concern. Until then, butt out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 08:29 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,872,320 times
Quote:
That is true of larger HOAs but not the biggest ones. But there are hundreds of small HOAs without a management company. And there are those with a Master Plan but no local HOA...ie Summerlin. So be careful there is no general pattern.
I'm not familiar with HOAs with no management company. Who does the work that an HOA needs done -- such as collecting HOA dues, engaging contractors for whatever the HOA deems necessary such as maintaining common areas, electing a board, hiring an attorney if the HOA is sued, paying bills, etc? Does this just fall on the shoulders of the HOA board?

Old 04-17-2017, 08:48 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I'm not familiar with HOAs with no management company. Who does the work that an HOA needs done -- such as collecting HOA dues, engaging contractors for whatever the HOA deems necessary such as maintaining common areas, electing a board, hiring an attorney if the HOA is sued, paying bills, etc? Does this just fall on the shoulders of the HOA board?
Sun City Summerlin has always run its own operation since the builder turned over control. I believe Sun City Anthem has recently gone the same way. The staff are all employed by the HOA. The operation is really run by an Executive Director who reports to the board. Such boards are generally pretty activist and the campaigns for the board are significant events. SC Summerlin of course runs three golf courses as well as the HOA itself. They pretty much run all normal operations themselves and contract out big maintenance items like a roof replacement.

And they can run into problems. SC Summerlin got in trouble over illegal aliens on the landscaping force. Had a number of guys who were not legal that came over from Del Webb. The Executive Director got fired as well as the employees involved.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
YOUR bullets in MY house is MY problem. If you shoot YOUR house, that's YOUR problem.

Block MY driveway with YOUR car, that is MY problem. Block YOUR driveway with YOUR car, that's YOUR problem. See how this works?

Don't tell me how to live my life, and I won't tell you how to live yours. It's a pretty simple concept. Your freedom ends where mine begins. If my trash stays on my property it's none of your damn business. You don't pay my bills, so butt out.

And, my yard is very tidy, thank you very much. I keep my trees trimmed, and my trash in the trash can.
My junk car stays hidden inside the garage. I don't make any noise after dark or before sunrise. I don't mess with other people and other people don't mess with me. It's fantastic.
If something of mine interferes with something of yours, then it's of your concern. Until then, butt out.
And a neighbors conducting an illegal business can impact the safety of me and mine. And a house with peeling paint and a destroyed yard significantly effects the value of my house and my ability to sell it. And the odors and rodents attracted by improper garbage practices impact my house and others on the block.

Deal with it all the time. A bad neighbor or two can take significant amounts off the value of a home. Dealing with that right now. A gorgeous home in impeccable shape which will likely sell for 25% less than it would if simply moved 2 blocks west into the adjoining gated and HOAed neighborhood.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:08 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,669,320 times
Have you considered if any elderly or disabled person is living in the house. Just a thought that the homeowner is having difficulty.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:04 AM

85 posts, read 87,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Have you considered if any elderly or disabled person is living in the house. Just a thought that the homeowner is having difficulty.
I saw the renter in person and he was a young late 20's, early 30's. Didn't seem to have any difficulty getting around.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:12 AM

209 posts, read 264,025 times
It's horribly sad that adult human beings need an HOA to babysit them and tell them how to keep their own property. I understand the purpose of the HOA in principal, but my experiences with my past HOA homes are that the homeowners under said HOA take the guidelines way too far. The OP in this scenario has a problem with the neighbor's front yard. Such an extreme problem that you want to file a report. The other neighbor's might not give a damn, who knows. I know another person who had HOA board members knock on their door and demand to see the pool in the backyard because they received a report that it was not being cleaned and the water was turning green. Obviously the next door neighbor was the one who complained because they did not like the appearance of their neighbor's back yard when they looked out the back window.

I think people get too caught up in the mindset of "If I'm following the rules then you must also follow them, or I'm reporting you." Sure the neighborhood is going to look nice, but who wants to live in a neighborhood where the residence are essentially policing each other? If you have a neighbor firing off guns or running a recovery home for criminals (tad bit extreme) then you call the police, not the HOA. If you have a neighbor not keeping up the property then maybe try having a conversation with the neighbor. A big motivator of people keeping up their home's appearance is simply respect for the other neighbors in the hopes they will provide the same respect back, and then everyone wins. I finally bought property that has no HOA because there's no need for it. HOAs simply give home owners an anonymous outlet to police their neighbors, all for the low price of $50-$200 a month!

Old 04-17-2017, 01:27 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,872,320 times
Quote:
Sun City Summerlin has always run its own operation since the builder turned over control. I believe Sun City Anthem has recently gone the same way. The staff are all employed by the HOA. The operation is really run by an Executive Director who reports to the board. Such boards are generally pretty activist and the campaigns for the board are significant events. SC Summerlin of course runs three golf courses as well as the HOA itself. They pretty much run all normal operations themselves and contract out big maintenance items like a roof replacement.

And they can run into problems. SC Summerlin got in trouble over illegal aliens on the landscaping force. Had a number of guys who were not legal that came over from Del Webb. The Executive Director got fired as well as the employees involved.
So... if I understand you correctly, all (or most) the functions of a traditional HOA management company are performed by full-time employees of the HOA itself.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
So... if I understand you correctly, all (or most) the functions of a traditional HOA management company are performed by full-time employees of the HOA itself.
Yes. They enforce the CC&Rs...collect the dues...maintain the landscaping and golf courses, clean the buildings, provide the docs on a sale etc. Actually pretty well run. they even employ lots of residents as the part time staff for the fitness centers and other facilities. I think you basically have to be an association member to get any of the part time jobs. The regular jobs are filled normally and many of the employees do not live in Sun City. they also pay for things like the Security Patrol cars. The officers are volunteers (It is a SC Club) but the cars are owned by the association.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:51 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,581,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabtrees View Post
It's horribly sad that adult human beings need an HOA to babysit them and tell them how to keep their own property. I understand the purpose of the HOA in principal, but my experiences with my past HOA homes are that the homeowners under said HOA take the guidelines way too far. The OP in this scenario has a problem with the neighbor's front yard. Such an extreme problem that you want to file a report. The other neighbor's might not give a damn, who knows. I know another person who had HOA board members knock on their door and demand to see the pool in the backyard because they received a report that it was not being cleaned and the water was turning green. Obviously the next door neighbor was the one who complained because they did not like the appearance of their neighbor's back yard when they looked out the back window.

I think people get too caught up in the mindset of "If I'm following the rules then you must also follow them, or I'm reporting you." Sure the neighborhood is going to look nice, but who wants to live in a neighborhood where the residence are essentially policing each other? If you have a neighbor firing off guns or running a recovery home for criminals (tad bit extreme) then you call the police, not the HOA. If you have a neighbor not keeping up the property then maybe try having a conversation with the neighbor. A big motivator of people keeping up their home's appearance is simply respect for the other neighbors in the hopes they will provide the same respect back, and then everyone wins. I finally bought property that has no HOA because there's no need for it. HOAs simply give home owners an anonymous outlet to police their neighbors, all for the low price of $50-$200 a month!

Sorry, but green pools breed mosquitoes. And anyone who doesn't know or care about that is not likely to respond to a "friendly conversation". Glad you found a way to have a green pool if you care to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas